PDA

View Full Version : Nudibranch = Fish Food ??

TAZ
06-01-2004, 05:03 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else has had any issues with their fish apparently eating a Lettuce Nudibranch. It seems that one of my fish has an appetite for them :evil: About 6 months ago we bought one, was doing well until we came home one day to find it almost completely shredded. At the time I thought it must of got caught in a PH and got chewed up (even though I had covers on all the intakes). I chalked it up to an accident, and left it at that.

Last week we decided to get another one, and I came home yesterday to find 3/4 of the body gone. All that is left is the head, and a very small section of body. Looking closely at it, it does look like bite marks in it, the most likely suspect is either my Tang or my Flame Angel.

I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else, I was also unsure if this is good for the fish. Do they kick out any toxin's that might hurt anything. I threw in some carbon and will do a water change tonight, but not sure if I should be more concerned??

Also, what is left of this Nudibranch is actually still alive and moving around as if nothing happened. Is it safe to leave in the tank, or should I pull it out?

One thing for sure, I won't be getting anymore of these guys :rolleyes:

Beverly
06-01-2004, 10:07 PM
All that is left is the head, and a very small section of body. Looking closely at it, it does look like bite marks in it, the most likely suspect is either my Tang or my Flame Angel.

Don't know if those fish are nudi-eaters. You might have a hitchhiker problem, maybe an evil red eyed crabs or something else. Take a flashlight to your tank after the lights have been out for an hour or so and see what kind of critters come out at night in your tank.

Quinn
06-01-2004, 10:17 PM
Mind you, E. crispata does looks like an algae, maybe the tang made a mistake. Heck, maybe he meant to. Mine eats mini brittles.

marie
06-02-2004, 12:42 AM
my clarkii clown ate all 3 of my nudis as well as 2 cleaner shrimp and a large feather duster . :rolleyes: