PDA

View Full Version : To carbon or not to carbon?

jason604
04-10-2013, 04:07 AM
So my tank is fairly new so I'm not sure if I should use activated carbon yet and how much if I were to for a 75g tank? I bought marine land one from JL. I could always use it on my koi pond if i shouldn't use on my marine tank.

ckmullin
04-10-2013, 04:36 AM
I think your tank was more bare...with just liverock? If you don't have much stock in the tank I see no reason why you would need to run carbon. What buildup do you think you have which needs to be removed by carbon?

Simons
04-10-2013, 05:05 AM
while I admit you could get away with not running it, I still LOVE the polished look of the water! I know when I don't run carbon on my 45G tank after a week the water starts to look yellow.

I don't however; run any carbon on my 100G just because the water has never looked yellow.

jason604
04-10-2013, 05:20 AM
I think your tank was more bare...with just liverock? If you don't have much stock in the tank I see no reason why you would need to run carbon. What buildup do you think you have which needs to be removed by carbon?

So far I have 1 fish 2 shrimps and a clean up crew. Getting 3 more fish and about 7 corals in few days

ckmullin
04-10-2013, 05:49 AM
So far I have 1 fish 2 shrimps and a clean up crew. Getting 3 more fish and about 7 corals in few days

I'd slow down on the fish and corals...take it slow. As others have said baby your tank until it's seasoned like a good prime rib. (the steak reference was my addition)

I've thankfully met some great peers on this forum...and I always say "wow...an amazing tank you have"...I come back home and cry because mine isn't anything like any of the other member tanks. The peers say..."you'll get there" and I know that is true...just time and patience. While I want it all now I'm happily watching what I do have...and happily waiting.

http://images3.flipkey.com/img/photos/1665/811665/testproperty/large_811665-testproperty-010-1349184465.jpg

jason604
04-10-2013, 05:53 AM
I'd slow down on the fish and corals...take it slow. As others have said baby your tank until it's seasoned like a good prime rib. (the steak reference was my addition)

I've thankfully met some great peers on this forum...and I always say "wow...an amazing tank you have"...I come back home and cry because mine isn't anything like any of the other member tanks. The peers say..."you'll get there" and I know that is true...just time and patience. While I want it all now I'm happily watching what I do have...and happily waiting.

http://images3.flipkey.com/img/photos/1665/811665/testproperty/large_811665-testproperty-010-1349184465.jpg

I talked to the guy working at JL and he said putting corals won't really spike my bio load and that I can put about 2 small fishes every week

ckmullin
04-10-2013, 06:12 AM
I'll defer to any pro ringer. By chance are you purchasing these items from JL ?

jason604
04-10-2013, 03:01 PM
I'll defer to any pro ringer. By chance are you purchasing these items from JL ?

Nope I'm getting it from another reefer. Should I just keep them in a container with its original water and live rock and sand and slowly add to my tank? How many corals at a time?

Aquattro
04-10-2013, 03:31 PM
I would have no concerns adding 3 new fish and some corals, assuming they are not large fish. Have water made up before hand and do a water change a couple days after adding them, just for peace of mind (and diluting anything not handled right away by filtration).

jason604
04-10-2013, 05:11 PM
I would have no concerns adding 3 new fish and some corals, assuming they are not large fish. Have water made up before hand and do a water change a couple days after adding them, just for peace of mind (and diluting anything not handled right away by filtration).

Nvm it's just 2 small fish(clown and blenny) and 7 corals. Live rock does have bubble Algee so I will remove them before adding to my tank and use a coral dip for my corals. Do put the dip in while acclimating or dip after I finish acclimating? Also do live rocks need acclimating or only fish and corals? Thanks

I will add water after I acclimate since that will use up quite a bit of my tank water

jason604
04-11-2013, 05:26 AM
Can someone please share their knowledge of adding new corals with me I'm getting them tomorrow. Do I use the coral dip pest remover before or after I acclimate them? Do I also need to acclimate rock or just clean and drop them in?

Aquattro
04-11-2013, 05:31 AM
I've never personally acclimated corals unless temp was way off. If it is, float them for 20 minutes in the bag, then dip before moving them into the display tank. Follow the instructions for whatever product you're using. I just dip, then move them to the tank. Depending on product, you may want to rinse first.

rock just goes in.

jason604
04-11-2013, 06:01 AM
I've never personally acclimated corals unless temp was way off. If it is, float them for 20 minutes in the bag, then dip before moving them into the display tank. Follow the instructions for whatever product you're using. I just dip, then move them to the tank. Depending on product, you may want to rinse first.

rock just goes in.

Ok thanks ill do that