PDA

View Full Version : Talk me into a Apex!!!

banditpowdercoat
04-09-2013, 10:00 PM
I'm almost sold on a Apex controller. I work in a camp, 3wks in, 3 wks out. Would be awesome to be able to see my tank online. I have a PLC controller now, but no external monitoring or changes.

Headed to JL next monday so talk me into it!!

Delphinus
04-09-2013, 10:11 PM
I must say I'm pretty happy with mine. Best tank related purchase I've made in a while. It has everything I need, nothing I don't, and the expandability/versatility seems to be there in case my needs change down the road.

What really sold me on the Apex versus others was that the power bars each have their own 110V plug so multiple powerbars can be easily split among different breakers.

I'm thinking of getting the floor leak module. Once that's in place I'll probably get it to do the email alerts, as well as maybe shut my skimmer down (most leaks are because I've let the skimmer goo slop bucket overflow).

I say go for it!

My only hesitation was that the price of a controller could have gone a long way towards funding my eventual switch to LEDs. But if you don't have other big purchases on your bucket list then yeah totally go for it..

lockrookie
04-09-2013, 11:25 PM
+1

I love having the apex and have just ordered the leak detection for the same reason bloody skimmer collection container. I use my apex for everything. Especially I ally with my iPhone app. No more plugging in and unplugging pumps with wet hand just a tap on my phone and begin the water change or whatever maintenance needs I have. Wish I had a fish to automate a water change.. But I find that the uses are endless. And I haven't even tapped into its true potential yet. But I will say every plugable device on my tank is connected.

I did have one issue with a powerbar but Paul at Neptune was awesome and there where no difficulties with warranty. If it wasnt for ups's screw up it would have been flawless. These guys care about thier customers. Just follow them on Facebook or twitter they go out of thier way to help ppl out.

So yes take the plunge and do it. Worth more than the money you'll spend

daniella3d
04-10-2013, 12:46 AM
I will do the opposite, get a Reef Angel with a wifi module. Does anything you want for half the price of an Apex. It even come with a ATO and 2 float switch. I put one for my top off and one to shut down my skimmer in case it overflow.

I love my Reef Angel.

Also if you are leaving town often, a webcam is a nice addition to the Iphone application for the controller. When I go on vacations I have my Iphone application where I can monitor salinity, PH, temperature etc, and I can control lights, pumps, skimmer etc, but I can also watch my tank with the high resolution web cam.

Aquattro
04-10-2013, 01:52 AM
Don't listen to her ^ , she's crazy!! :) Get the Apex already, you know you want it.

BlueTang<3
04-10-2013, 01:55 AM
BUY A APEX
You know u want it
:)

I am on the fence between upgrading to apex or proflix so I am gonna tag in this thread.

Delphinus
04-10-2013, 02:30 AM
The Profilux is definitely a nice unit but I chose Apex because it was quite a bit less, plus the power bars as I mentioned let you split among different circuits if you're trying to load balance. Also the Apex (at least the regular model) comes with a 8 plug power bar whereas I think it's 6 on the Profilux.

I would imagine it's hard to go wrong either way though..

madchild
04-10-2013, 02:31 AM
Another vote for apex. I love mine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Kryptic4L
04-10-2013, 02:49 AM
Another vote for apex I despise digital aquatics. Reef angel looks interesting, would be deadly if it had more market control. Open source with a large community = win. As all problems can be fixed b the community

banditpowdercoat
04-10-2013, 02:53 AM
Looks like JL will take 4 of my toadstool frags, So hey taxes will be paid on it HAHAHAHA

mameroo2000
04-10-2013, 03:39 AM
You can program apex to do auto water change when you are in camp
This is my next project with apex .
Buy apex

FragIt Dan
04-10-2013, 04:07 AM
I am sitting in Hariot Bay on Quadra Island tuning my Ca Reactor and DIY LEDs in Nanaimo via my Apex app (no cell reception here, just wireless Internet). I just set my 2nd unit up on my DT and love them. Setup can be a challenge but the community is incredible with support and once setup is done it is great. I travel extensively for work during the summer and am really happy with my Apex units particularly while I am away.

Dan

Simons
04-10-2013, 04:33 AM
a tank controller is the ultimate in piece of mind technology. If you travel allot or even just want to check in when at work locally, it's a perfect tool to get a quick update. You can monitor pretty much anything you want, ph, temp, lighting, dosing and flooding events. It will send you emails and txt when things happen. Combine that with a decent IP wireless camera and not only can you just monitor but you can view as well!

The other part to consider is this..your away out of town working and you DO get an alert...you should always have someone reef tank aware and semi familiar with your system that you can call upon to go and investigate. I can't image what would be worse...not knowing about something catastrophic until you walk through your front door OR knowing its happening RIGHT NOW but not able to do anything about it!

daniella3d
04-10-2013, 04:50 AM
haha, yes so crazy...

499$ - The Apex System comes complete with:

Apex Base Unit (http://www.neptunesystems.com/product/apex-aquacontroller-system/#ApexBaseUnit)
Energy Bar 8 (or Energy Bar 6) (http://www.neptunesystems.com/product/apex-aquacontroller-system/#EnergyBar)
Apex Display Module (http://www.neptunesystems.com/product/apex-aquacontroller-system/#DisplayModule)
Long-life Temperature Probe (http://www.neptunesystems.com/product/apex-aquacontroller-system/#probes)
Standard or Lab pH Probe (http://www.neptunesystems.com/product/apex-aquacontroller-system/#probes)

no ATO for that price???!! (more money) and not wifi so you still have to buy a game adapter (another 50$) if you don't want a cable running through your house up to your router...

329$ - Reef angel:

Power bar with 8 controllable outlets
Display module and base unit
temperatur probe
PH probe
ATO with 2 float switch
Wifi module, so no need for a cable

Don't listen to her ^ , she's crazy!! :) Get the Apex already, you know you want it.

slakker
04-10-2013, 04:55 AM
I have an old Apex III controller and it's saved my butt a few times... the alarm is setup so it emails me, which in itself is good... but the kicker was when I was out of town and one of the halides burnt out and the ballast was humming... my wife calls me in a panic and I was able to login to the controller and shut off the power to the ballast and fix it when I got home a few days later!

Simons
04-10-2013, 05:02 AM
isn't there a wireless module for the Apex now?

scubadawg
04-10-2013, 05:08 AM
I have 2 Apex systems, full system with 2 powerbar 8, temp, orb, ph, salanity, module for powerheards, and a basic Apex Jr, with 2 powerbar 4

3rd system is a Digital Aquatics Lite.

I prefer the Apex system.

Aquattro
04-10-2013, 10:45 AM
The reef angel may or may not be a decent piece of equipment, but I like the Apex support. The company itself is great, and there are hundreds of users ready and willing to help with any config question you have, and you'll have many. It's not always about saving a few bucks. It's about saving grief trying to get it all figured out.

Evilweevil
04-10-2013, 12:46 PM
An apex once saved my baby

daniella3d
04-10-2013, 01:33 PM
support? There is no best support than the Reef Angel support.

I ask in the RA forum about a program to trigger the feed mode so that my neighbourg would be able to trigger it from just one click on my small notebook when I leave for vacations. Problem is that my notebook is just a small thing with bearely any power or memory, so I needed a small application that would run without too much ressources. They suggested me a small Java application but it was lacking the feed mode.

So I go ahead and ask in the forum if it was possible to have one with the feed more and water change mode, and the programmer did it the same day and in the evening I had my program ready to download and to use with all the features I wanted. Now that some serious support!!

I now have a very small application in java that control my tank, show me the stats and send me email and text message alerts. The beauty of the RA is that anything can be done. It is not limited to what the company's programmers decided to do, you're in full control. I have absolutely zero knowledge in programmation either.

Apex is great but so much more expensive and even if you buy the full thing at full price (499$) you still are lacking the wifi connectivity and the ATO, you need to pay even more for those.

The RA is supported by a large community that is not so much aimed at profit (many are doing it for free) and the cost of development for the product and software is much lower than with a company that MUST hire programmers to produce their software for a lot of $$$$. So probably Apex must charge so much to compensate the cost of development which is pretty much free with the RA and its community.

But above all, the RA is FUN! :) I am always on the look out for some new things to make it do.

The reef angel may or may not be a decent piece of equipment, but I like the Apex support. The company itself is great, and there are hundreds of users ready and willing to help with any config question you have, and you'll have many. It's not always about saving a few bucks. It's about saving grief trying to get it all figured out.

banditpowdercoat
04-10-2013, 02:38 PM
Ohh my cart has a Apex in it on JL site. But if I got it this morn Wonder if the mail would get it here Friday. I'm only 4.5hrs drive away. in 100 Mile House...

BMW Rider
04-10-2013, 02:42 PM
Another happy Apex owner here. I replaced my Aquatronica controller with an Apex last year after it died. The Apex is leaps and bounds ahead of the Aquatronica. I'm hardly even scratching the surface of the possibilities with the Apex. It does have a bit of a steep learning curve at first to figure out the programming, but once it's set up, it runs flawlessly. I have a wireless connection to mine, but still have not configured the remote access as I've not had much need or purpose for that. I do have plans to expand on it at some point. One of the nice things about it is that you can use alternately sourced input switches for many functions using the breakout box. I reused the float switch from my Aquatronica, minus the adapter module, and used a micro switch on the cabinet door to turn on the refuge light when doing maintenance.

FitoPharmer
04-10-2013, 04:32 PM
My apex cost more then the my entire 20G setup, and it is worth every penny.

cblair
04-10-2013, 05:29 PM
Yup another apex vote! It's awesome to be able o monitor and control your tank while your at work or away on a trip. Definitely worth every cent.

moppy
04-11-2013, 05:12 PM
LOVE my apex...

Don't really know how I ran a tank without one. (OK, I do but it really does help A LOT!)

Midway
04-11-2013, 05:30 PM
Apex all the way here too. Everything about maintenance of my tank is so much easier now with this controller, since water changes to shut off pumps, skimmer, return pumps, etc, etc, etc. Feed mode, email alerts, love it!. Really piece of mind about temp issues. If one of my heaters act up and fails at the on position, my tank would NOT be fried. If temp goes higher than I programmed it, please SHUT IT OFF!! yayyyyy
And everything I do it straight from my iPhone at home or away. Worth every single penny.

aquatechy
04-12-2013, 06:44 AM
Why you should get an apex:

-Good build quality
-Best rate for dollar/controllable outlet (an energy bar 8 is close to the price of digital aquatic's 4-socket power bar.... hinthinthinthint...)
-Iphone/android app
remote monitoring
-AMAZEBALLLS customer service
-VDM module (built in if you buy pro) - good for controlling tunze pumps, lights, or DIY LEDS
-data logging + graphing
-has I/O breakout to run switches, auto-top off
-can interface with Ecotech Vortech pumps (and radions too,in the future I hear?)
-the APEX has it's own programming language, which is easily mastered. you can use this to design programming. for example, i have a special calcium reactor program, that keeps my calcium reactor pH between 6.4 and 6.6, but also monitors my tank pH to ensure it stays above 7.90. If it goes below 7.90, the reactor is shut off, no matter what.
-email alerts! (the APEX can be programmed to email you when things go awry with your tank)
-sound alarm (the same as email alerts, but this works well if you're at home)
- with the newly released leak detection module, the APEX can also protect your home with some strategically placed water sensors (can monitor floors, carpet, skimmer cup)
-ease of access to parts (J&L, MarineDepot, and Neptune systems are readily accessible to get parts and accessories)

allie_san
04-12-2013, 12:27 PM
I've been tagging along on this thread since I can't decide between an apex and profilux..
Is there anything the profilux has over the apex? (ignoring the costs)

Aquattro
04-12-2013, 12:45 PM

Pretty blue light display? :)

FishyFishy!
04-12-2013, 01:09 PM
Just did a price comparison between Apex and this "Reef Angel" controller.......because my next purchase is a controller.

To make them do the same things (this is what I would want them to do as a base)

Temp
PH
Salinity
2 X powerbars
ATO
Wifi

Apex - $934.95
Reef Angel - $889.00

And the Apex has a tonne more controllable options, and the Breakout Box included in the quote has a lot of wikid features.... So APEX FTW.

Main issue with the Reef Angel is that you need to add an expensive "expansion module" for every little thing you want to add.

Lexy
04-12-2013, 01:41 PM
Ohh my cart has a Apex in it on JL site. But if I got it this morn Wonder if the mail would get it here Friday. I'm only 4.5hrs drive away. in 100 Mile House...

I got mine from Ray at reefsupplies.ca . I think he can ship it over night. Great product and service.

sphelps
04-12-2013, 02:21 PM
I've been tagging along on this thread since I can't decide between an apex and profilux..

I'd say there are things the profilux can do better than apex. For example Apex can control tunze pumps but profilux has better control options for various waves and randomizing features built in. Apex can also control LEDs but profilux has built in Light Composer which offers the same control as the Mitra so for any DIY style fixtures this could be substantial. It has more features built in and most advanced features are easier to add and integrate. Programming is easier, I believe the software is better and parts are suppose to be more reliable and better quality, however not saying apex has issues. For example the power pars cost more because they come with double pole industrial relays able to cope with large demands and are user serviceable and they only have 6 sockets per strip because it will reduce the risk of overload. Profilux hardware reliability is to the point where you just don't find dead units, ever.

I would guess that the Apex could actually do anything the profilux can but getting there would not be as easy. Profilux is more plug and play for the most part, Apex can require a little more advanced programming and setup from what I understand.

In the end you just pick the controller that does what you want for the money you're willing to spend. Pretty sure they can all do what's needed, how you get there is usually the difference.

The Codfather
04-12-2013, 02:33 PM
I'd say there are things the profilux can do better than apex.
I would guess that the Apex could actually do anything the profilux can but getting there would not be as easy. Profilux is more plug and play for the most part, Apex can require a little more advanced programming and setup from what I understand.

Id agree. I have a P3 and would never go back to anything else. The programming is a bit tricky to figure out at first, but now the possibilities are pretty much endless.

The Codfather
04-12-2013, 02:36 PM
Main issue with the Reef Angel is that you need to add an expensive "expansion module" for every little thing you want to add.

But.......if your any good at coding, this controller has more features than Apex.

Aquattro
04-12-2013, 02:41 PM
The programming is a bit tricky to figure out at first, but now the possibilities are pretty much endless.

I think they're both the same that way. When I was choosing a controller, I figured out what I was going to need. While the Profilux had a couple of things easier to do, I didn't need that functionality, and while my LFS was really cutting the cost he was going to give it to me for, the Apex was still a lot less and fit my needs better. With Tunze and AI, the native support worked well. I also didn't want the Profilux display, I like the smaller Apex better, again, for my needs. Quality has been great, vendor and peer support is amazing, and I'm glad I went the direction I did. I think both probably have limitations(maybe??), but for most users, they're likely way beyond what you typically need anyway.

The Codfather
04-12-2013, 02:47 PM
I also didn't want the Profilux display.

Doesnt like the display..doesnt like the colour...
:boink:

I run everything through my computer, Id think that any display would be a problem. Im old and cant see......

Aquattro
04-12-2013, 03:02 PM
Doesnt like the display..doesnt like the colour...
:boink:

I run everything through my computer, Id think that any display would be a problem. Im old and cant see......

No no, I like the color, just not spending money for color. I also use my laptop for all access, so the smaller display mounted to the side of my canopy worked better.

reeferfulton
04-12-2013, 03:43 PM
I am starting to really like my apex as well .
Slowly programming it to do everything i want .

I too use my computer for doing most things throught the apex . Except the display is really nice to see the temp and ph , and really nice to trigger a feed mode cycle . Just walk up push 1 button and your powerheads turn off ! its great

definitely go with an apex

kien
04-12-2013, 05:46 PM
I bought a Profilux but every time I go to use it I wish that I had gotten an Apex.. Thankfully I don't actually have to use my Profilux very often. Still, wish I had an Apex.

daniella3d
04-12-2013, 05:57 PM
I have no idea how you did your price comparaison but the RA with a temp probe, PH, a salinity module, 2 power bars of 8 outlets and wifi is 577 $ not 889$!! that's still 357$ less than the Apex package.

The temp, ph and ATO come STANDARD with the basic model at 219$. All you need to add is the salinity module and the wifi adapter and the second power bars to get a total of 16 outlets.

I am going to get the ORP as my salinity don't vary with the ATO, and my controller is still going to cost me just 430$ for temp, ph, orp, ATO, wifi and 8 outlets. That's about half the Apex price for these options.

Just did a price comparison between Apex and this "Reef Angel" controller.......because my next purchase is a controller.

To make them do the same things (this is what I would want them to do as a base)

Temp
PH
Salinity
2 X powerbars
ATO
Wifi

Apex - $934.95
Reef Angel - $889.00

yycguy
04-12-2013, 06:42 PM
I will give a thumbs up !!!! For the Apex..... I did consider the Reef Angel but I personally thought the Apex would be a easier setup.
I absolutely love the Apex as I would guess you would with any of the top Controllers .....

cwatkins
04-12-2013, 07:43 PM
I love my Apex. It has simplified everything so much!

With Kids there's no way I could keep a tank without the Apex.

THE best purchase I've made for the tank.

Aquattro
04-12-2013, 08:15 PM
Have we talked him into it yet???

madchild
04-12-2013, 09:45 PM
I seriously looked at the reef angel, but after reading more about it, I was concerned that my coding skills wouldn't be enough to make it so what I want, whereas the apex programming is simple and very very easy to learn.

FishyFishy!
04-12-2013, 09:49 PM
I have no idea how you did your price comparaison but the RA with a temp probe, PH, a salinity module, 2 power bars of 8 outlets and wifi is 577 $ not 889$!! that's still 357$ less than the Apex package.

Simple math. And you MUST be forgetting that you need 'expansion modules' for all add ons, like the second power bar, and the salinity monitor.

Here it is broken down -

Controller - $289.00 (I chose the higher model in both cases, APEX as well)
Relay Expansion for Power Bar - $119.00
8 Outlet Powerbar - $99.00
Salinity Expansion Module - $149.00
Salinity Probe - $75.00
Expansion Hub (required when you have more than one expansion..lol) - $49.00
Wifi Attachment - $109.00

You add that all up.... (Those extra items are what I would want on my controller, especially a salinity monitor).

sphelps
04-12-2013, 10:21 PM
Well within three days of starting this thread another members Apex has crashed. So for those people following along and comparing profilux to apex, that's one more reason profilux costs more.

Aquattro
04-12-2013, 10:26 PM
Well within three days of starting this thread another members Apex has crashed. So for those people following along and comparing profilux to apex, that's one more reason profilux costs more.

Exactly. Never in the history of Profilux has one ever had a problem. lol

sphelps
04-12-2013, 10:36 PM
Exactly. Never in the history of Profilux has one ever had a problem.

You had a typo, I fixed it for you :biggrin:

daniella3d
04-12-2013, 10:45 PM
Simple math? not so simple it seems?

The salinity module come with the probe already. If you are only going to use the salinity module, then you don't need the model at 289$ as the model that I have cost 219$ and does everything as well. The only time the more expensive model is required is when you are going to do a lot of your own programmation with it, which I doubt you would do. And surely much more than what the Apex can do because with the Apex you cannot even add your own coding...that's limited to what's been programmed in there. With the basic unit you still can do lots of your own programmation as well. I did a good analysis of this before choosing the basic or the model with more memory and realized the basic was more than enough for about 99% of the people.

The relay expension come with the relay box as well, so are doing the math without even knowing what you need to calculate. That's why you end up with the wrong total.

So here is the correct math for a system which you said you want, with salinity and 16 outlets, wifi, PH, temp and controllable ATO with 2 float switch.

controller 219$ (Comes with ATO, PH, temp and 8 outlets bar)
wifi 109$
relay expension + 8 outlets relay box 119$
expension hub 49$
salinity module 149$ (come with the salinity probe)

total 645$

that's still far from what the Apex would cost for the same configuration. Even if you choose the model with more memory, which you would not need, you still much lower than with the Apex.

Now how much does the Apex version of this system cost? I would bet that it is more than 1000$. I am now at 1015$ on the goreef web site and I don't even have any ATO included in this.

LOL!? who's loughting? ;)

Simple math. And you MUST be forgetting that you need 'expansion modules' for all add ons, like the second power bar, and the salinity monitor.

Here it is broken down -

Controller - $289.00 (I chose the higher model in both cases, APEX as well)
Relay Expansion for Power Bar - $119.00
8 Outlet Powerbar - $99.00
Salinity Expansion Module - $149.00
Salinity Probe - $75.00
Expansion Hub (required when you have more than one expansion..lol) - $49.00
Wifi Attachment - $109.00

You add that all up.... (Those extra items are what I would want on my controller, especially a salinity monitor).

mike31154
04-13-2013, 12:46 AM
My tank's been running fine without a controller for 6+ years now. I've never been able to justify the price for something that's so specific to our hobby. In the end, they're all simply processors with some coding & a display. IMO, with today's technology, there should be generic components available that can be configured to run on any smart phone, notebook, pc, mac, tablet, what have you without having to be a 'reef' thing. I've been looking at home automation systems lately & it looks like things are finally getting to the point where it may be worthwhile. After all, the components used for a reef controller are really only sensors, timers, relays, a display, a low power processor & the appropriate coding/software. It's beyond me why you can't simply buy generic components & hook them up to your smart phone, notebook, tablet.... Sure there are some unique sensors for pH, salinity, etc. but as far as timers, controlled power outlets etc., these items are available for other systems as well, aka home automation. I don't know of too many folks these days that don't have the required processing power in components they already own. It would be nice if a manufacturer would step up & simply provide the sensing components with some cables or wifi that will talk to the components you already have at home.

As far as the $$$ war between apex, reef angel, profilux etc., what the hey, if you can afford a controller & want one, what difference does a couple hundred $$s make? Any electronic/electric/software component is subject to failure, like most things in life. That's why I think 'generic' & noname stuff is preferable since you're not tied to the 'brand' name goodies that are only repairable by the OEM.

end rant...

FishyFishy!
04-13-2013, 01:14 AM
LOL!? who's loughting? ;)

A) I'm laughing at you.....
B) What the hell is loughting? Is that like shop lifting from a loft?
C) You're comparing what you would want in a controller.... not what I want
D) So therefore my calculations on what I WANT are accurate
E) Reef Angel still sucks
F) That is all.

mike31154
04-13-2013, 01:31 AM
A) I'm laughing at you.....
B) What the hell is loughting? Is that like shop lifting from a loft?
C) You're comparing what you would want in a controller.... not what I want
D) So therefore my calculations on what I WANT are accurate
E) Reef Angel still sucks
F) That is all.

So I just had a look at the reef angel web site. I reckon if I were to spend the $$s on a controller, I might just lean that way. Main reason for me would be that it's open source. Could conceivably talk to the home automation system I might consider. See my earlier rant.

BMW Rider
04-13-2013, 02:29 AM

That was the thing that I always disliked with my Aquatronica and was the reason I went with the Apex to replace it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

daniella3d
04-13-2013, 03:51 AM
so basically you would want your reef controller to start your coffee in the morning? or start the sprinkler for watering your garden?

The most important part of the controller is its programmation and if you know about programming you could make your Reef Angel control your home as well.

What is reef oriented like you said are the PH probe, salinity and ORP probe. It would probably be easier to work on your controller to become a home automation system than to make a home automation system control all these reef oriented features and probes.

The problem with any system, and almost all controllers, is that they are not user programmable. YOu have to live with what ever has been encoded into it. Not so with the Reef Angel.

I know pretty darn well why an aquarium controller is an essential piece of equipeemnt for me, but I don't see how a home automation system is necessary? To do what exactly? control the lights when you're away? there are already little gadgets to do that. What else? water your garden? again there are automated system for that. Record your favorite programs? it is already taken care of with a recorder.

The only thing I would want when away from the house would be a set of webcams to watch over the house. I have one on my reef so I can see my aquarium when I leave the house.

My tank's been running fine without a controller for 6+ years now. I've never been able to justify the price for something that's so specific to our hobby. In the end, they're all simply processors with some coding & a display. IMO, with today's technology, there should be generic components available that can be configured to run on any smart phone, notebook, pc, mac, tablet, what have you without having to be a 'reef' thing. I've been looking at home automation systems lately & it looks like things are finally getting to the point where it may be worthwhile. After all, the components used for a reef controller are really only sensors, timers, relays, a display, a low power processor & the appropriate coding/software. It's beyond me why you can't simply buy generic components & hook them up to your smart phone, notebook, tablet.... Sure there are some unique sensors for pH, salinity, etc. but as far as timers, controlled power outlets etc., these items are available for other systems as well, aka home automation. I don't know of too many folks these days that don't have the required processing power in components they already own. It would be nice if a manufacturer would step up & simply provide the sensing components with some cables or wifi that will talk to the components you already have at home.

As far as the $$$ war between apex, reef angel, profilux etc., what the hey, if you can afford a controller & want one, what difference does a couple hundred $$s make? Any electronic/electric/software component is subject to failure, like most things in life. That's why I think 'generic' & noname stuff is preferable since you're not tied to the 'brand' name goodies that are only repairable by the OEM.

end rant...

jorjef
04-13-2013, 04:24 AM
Tomorrows sunrise is 6:08 am and the high will be -2. Or at least that's what some controller told someone that reported it free of charge. Oh tank temp is 78 with my finger dip probe ... salinity of who cares , PH of not really sure, the corals say alk and calcium are close and my five gallon pail top off system if flawless

mike31154
04-13-2013, 01:54 PM
so basically you would want your reef controller to start your coffee in the morning? or start the sprinkler for watering your garden?

The most important part of the controller is its programmation and if you know about programming you could make your Reef Angel control your home as well.

What is reef oriented like you said are the PH probe, salinity and ORP probe. It would probably be easier to work on your controller to become a home automation system than to make a home automation system control all these reef oriented features and probes.

The problem with any system, and almost all controllers, is that they are not user programmable. YOu have to live with what ever has been encoded into it. Not so with the Reef Angel.

I know pretty darn well why an aquarium controller is an essential piece of equipeemnt for me, but I don't see how a home automation system is necessary? To do what exactly? control the lights when you're away? there are already little gadgets to do that. What else? water your garden? again there are automated system for that. Record your favorite programs? it is already taken care of with a recorder.

The only thing I would want when away from the house would be a set of webcams to watch over the house. I have one on my reef so I can see my aquarium when I leave the house.

Well, like I said, I don't currently have an aquarium controller & probably won't get one. I certainly don't need one to start my coffee in the morning. I do have an irrigation system & controller though!

As far as my tank goes, I don't test water paramaters that often & when I do, I don't consider it a chore. With my current set up, I don't feel I need to have something constantly monitoring pH, salinity, orp, alk, calc. Digital timers run my lights. I'm with jorjef on that stuff. I see my tank every day & have been at it long enough that I can tell pretty quick if something is off sufficiently to cause concern. When I'm away for more than a few days, my lovely daughter & future son in law check in on the tank.

I guess the point I'm trying to make with the controllers & home automation is that the technology is available that there should be a relatively low cost, easily programable interface that one can use with any computing device. You should be able to also acquire the hardware for whatever you'd like to control without it having to be a niche item. Kind of like a DIN standard or something. The sensors, relays, timers are out there, we just need them to have the flexibility to be hooked up to & controlled by the computing devices we already own instead of having to by another proprietary device. We're getting there & I don't think it will be too long before this happens. There are already smart light bulbs & electrical receptacles available which have wireless capabilty & can be controlled by your computer via the proper interface.

http://www.homelinkdesign.net/automation.html

http://robothouse.net/wordpress/overview/

... and to the OP, looks like you've made your choice on the Apex & it will undoubtedly do the job for you. Don't think you needed all that much convincing from us!

Coralgurl
04-13-2013, 02:44 PM
I have an Apex and honestly all that's plugged in are the heaters. I sat for 3 days trying to figure out the programming and just said f&$@ it. I don't need my lights plugged into it, they are programmed separately, as are my phs. Skimmer, return pump, fan, ato and gfo reactor are easy enough to unplug for water changes.

If it can do all the things posted here, I'm impressed but I suck at figuring it out and for me, the controller was a waste of money.

Reef Pilot
04-13-2013, 03:24 PM
I have an Apex and honestly all that's plugged in are the heaters. I sat for 3 days trying to figure out the programming and just said f&$@ it. I don't need my lights plugged into it, they are programmed separately, as are my phs. Skimmer, return pump, fan, ato and gfo reactor are easy enough to unplug for water changes.

If it can do all the things posted here, I'm impressed but I suck at figuring it out and for me, the controller was a waste of money.

Yes, if you are not tech dweeb (like many canreefers seem to be), it can seem daunting. But it is not unlike a lot of other SW challenges, like cycles, ich, getting rid of cyano, algae,... growing SPS, etc, etc. The trick is to go one step at a time, like you did with your heaters. But don't stop there.

The good news is that Apex has a couple great manuals, one written by a user, that really helps break down the complexity. And I know, reading manuals is boring. But like said, if you take one thing at a time, it gets a lot easier. And those wizard option settings can be used for most things.

I have had my Apex for about a year now, and still adding function to it. Several weeks ago, we had a power outage in Langley, and was very pleased how my Apex, not only alerted me, but brought everything back up in an orderly fashion. That included turning on my skimmer 5 min after the return pump, so that it didn't overflow. And I really love how easy it is to adjust my dosing, and do things remotely, too (like in Maui).

So, don't be too quick to give up on your Apex. It really can help make things easier with reefing. And can be fun, too, as you get more confident with it. As I said, the trick is to go one step at a time.

Aquattro
04-13-2013, 03:27 PM

I'd try and find someone locally that was willing to drop by and give you a brief tutorial. It really is simple to set up most things once you have a handle on the basics.

jorjef
04-13-2013, 03:39 PM
To be honest the fact that I would likely toss it in then closet after a short attempt to set things up is the reason I won't buy one. That and I would think too much automation would lead to less time doing a visual inspection of corals fish etc. I enjoy checking to see all the corals are happy and warfare hasn't broken out. A controller for me would give me too much of a sense of security. My tank is pretty much wall to wall for corals and I am checking several times a day that one neighbour isn't trying to nuke the other.

banditpowdercoat
04-13-2013, 04:19 PM
Have we talked him into it yet???

Little more Little more HEHEHE

banditpowdercoat
04-13-2013, 04:26 PM
Automation is my Career, so programming either one is not tough. But I do like the Apex style of programming better. One thing would lean me to RA is salinity probe. I am a gadget freak too. But have to be usefull. Salinity isnt totally needed, but would be nice when I'm away. Honestly, I don't check tank params much, mostly softies and everything thrives. I ass some when I do a W/C, based on the levels I have found IO salt to be lacking, Thats it. I would like to try dosing, But need more time to experiment with that.

daniella3d
04-14-2013, 12:01 AM
Oh my...at first when I read your post I thought it was funny but as I read the whole thing I think it is sad. Why don't you get some help to program it? I am sure once you know how convenient it is to have everything on your controller you will not want to do this manually again.

One example, if you unplug everything for feeding or water change and you get distracted or an emergency happen and you must leave quickly and you forget to retart the pumps, skimmer etc...?

with the controller you start the feed mode or the water change mode and what ever is associated with these mode will be turned off. With the water change mode you must retart it yourself I think, but with the feeding mode it will restart everything after a delay that you determine.

It is sad to have paid so much money and not to enjoy it.

Another advantage is to control the fan according to the tank temperature, so you don't have to suffer the noise of the fan if the tank temperature is not high. Only when my temperature reach 77 that my fan start and as soon as the temperature get back to 76 it stops.

daniella3d
04-14-2013, 12:07 AM
Don't tell me there is no salinity probe available for the Apex?? that can't be.

One thing would lean me to RA is salinity probe. I am a gadget freak too. But have to be usefull. Salinity isnt totally needed, but would be nice when I'm away. Honestly, I don't check tank params much, mostly softies and everything thrives. I ass some when I do a W/C, based on the levels I have found IO salt to be lacking, Thats it. I would like to try dosing, But need more time to experiment with that.

Reef Pilot
04-14-2013, 12:14 AM
Don't tell me there is no salinity probe available for the Apex?? that can't be.
Yes, it is, but it is expensive.... I don't care about salinity. Once I change water, mine doesn't change.

What I would like, though, is a probe to monitor my Calcium and Alk. I am constantly testing those, and adjusting my dosing manually. It would be so nice if my Apex could do that. Maybe some day...

banditpowdercoat
04-16-2013, 03:18 PM
Well I got one. Got back at 9pm last night, Had it working (Not on tank) by 1AM Like it so far. Going to try the seasonal temps and lighting. By those, my tank is WAY warm! Might help on my power bill too HAHAHA