PDA

View Full Version : Salifert Flatworm Exit

ckmullin
04-08-2013, 04:05 PM
Look ma I got flatworms!

So the question is, besides dying flatworms should I expect anything else to kick the bucket? pods...bristleworms...featherdusters...spirorbid snails etc...or should all this fauna be just fine?

Bblinks
04-08-2013, 04:13 PM
Maybe some bristle stars but thats about it. Shrimp might become a bit retarded but it will get over it.

paddyob
04-08-2013, 05:56 PM
If you follow instructions it should be ok.

Remember when dosing your tank volume, subtract for Rick displacement.

Ex) 100g tank with 100lbs rock... Say dose for 70g after displacement.

Make sence? Keeps you from over dosing.

slakker
04-08-2013, 06:26 PM
Bristle stars will kick the bucket, but also large bristle worms will do something weird...

I don't know what it is, but I noticed about 1/2 dozen monster worms (4-6 inches long) come out of their holes in the rock and puke out grey "ink"... not sure what it is, but none of my livestock died or anything... I just followed the instructions...

reeferfulton
04-08-2013, 06:32 PM
wow seems like flatworms are all the rage these days ..

is it really an epidimic , or are we just hunting for them , thus finding them ?

hope you sort it out

ckmullin
04-08-2013, 06:33 PM
damn love those brittle stars! lol if they kick the bucket...i'll have to buy a batch from a canreef member! heh

Rice Reef
04-08-2013, 08:01 PM
wow seems like flatworms are all the rage these days ..

is it really an epidimic , or are we just hunting for them , thus finding them ?

hope you sort it out

Don't think it is a epidemic. I sure that there are systems out there that has flatworms but not the harmful types. There are many kinds of flat worms and only a few bad ones that can stress you out.
If your tank has been running well and you have not added any new corals being the source of this flatworm I would not worry however, if you had added new corals and if your corals are showing signs of stress then take action to eliminate them.

asylumdown
04-08-2013, 09:11 PM
You should be fine at the recommended concentration. At a concentration high enough to kill AEFW, every crab, pod, and worm in your tank would be toast, but the concentration necessary to kill the nasty little red guys (which is the recommended dose by Salifert) is like 30 times less.

The only real problem I had with flatworm exit when I dosed was that I had soooooo many flatworms. If you have enough of them, as they die they start to come off the rocks in sheets, held together by nearly invisible strands of mucous. It made my tank look like it was on fire. Unfortunately, one of my colonies of Acans ended up catching a whole bunch of them and ate probably a good hundred or so dying flatworms. That colony was dead the next day. When they start to die, do your best to prevent your LPS from eating them, they're toxic little nasties.

Reef-Geek
02-14-2014, 10:54 PM
Do you keep the powerheads on or off when dosing flatworm exit?

asylumdown
02-14-2014, 11:00 PM
on, and I'd advise anyone dosing it to run a temporary filter sock if they don't run one normally and change it/toss it once you don't see anymore dead flat worms floating around.