PDA

View Full Version : Stopping RTN with Furan2

daniella3d
04-08-2013, 03:15 PM
Hi,

I have a deep water sps that was having a bad case of RTN. I tried fragging and glueying well over the affected area but the RTN kept going very fast.

I did an experiment and used Furan2 on it. I have to say it totally halted the RTN in progress. One week later there is no more RTN. I used the API furan2 and they come in little pouch. I used 1/2 pouch in 100ml of tank water for 2 or 3 minutes and back in the tank.

This can be very usefull in cases of RTN when the RTN is caused by bacterias, which I beleive is very common in the rapid tissue necrosis that we see in aquarium. The coral gets weak for some reason and then it gets attacked by bacterias then the protozoares take over.

This treatment will probably not work for STN though, because that probably have other causes and it is relatively easy to cure with fragging.

Here is the frag after a week. Nothing changed from after the dip in Furan2. I don't know how well it will recover if it does. I should have gone with the Furan2 route right from the start instead of trying to frag :(

Since RTN is very destructive, it is worth trying Furan2 right from the beginning. It might save the coral.

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy143/daniella3ds/105_3170s_zps41bb0f50.jpg

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy143/daniella3ds/105_3166s_zpsf867895b.jpg

asylumdown
04-08-2013, 10:41 PM
Thanks Daniella, I'll pick some up just in case.

Have you ever found RTN to be contagious in your tank?

daniella3d
04-09-2013, 12:09 AM
Not really. I very rarely get this and each time it seems to be from fresh cut frag. I was never contagious in my tank but since it's mostly on fresh cut frag coming from somebody else I am guessing that only the corals that are weak or slightly dammaged are susceptible to this type of bacterial attack.

I am guessing (only my guess) that when it is affecting many corals at once it might be more related to water quality maybe?

Thanks Daniella, I'll pick some up just in case.

Have you ever found RTN to be contagious in your tank?