PDA

View Full Version : LF start up stuff and advice

Westkes
04-07-2013, 02:30 PM
I'm afraid we've fallen down the rabbithole of saltwater. We homeschool (radical, I know) and our 9 year old has been researching setting up a sw tank. I have either a 70 or a 44 (octagon) that he could use. Everything runs on aquaclears.
So I'm looking for live rock, or dry rock, a powerhead, lighting. We have enough salt mix for 50 gallons. Would like to get a tank cycling and still have some $ for fish. Please message me if you have anything you think he could use. We can spend a bit but not a lot (homeschooling pretty much equals single income household).
Thanks for reading. I've been lurking in the site trying to catch up with this kid on knowledge and you've all been very helpful with all your posts.

Westkes
04-07-2013, 02:32 PM
I should have said, we're in Kimbereley, BC but do come up to Calgary and Lethbridge. Thanks!

hydrofire
04-07-2013, 02:52 PM
I thought I would write you as one fellow Kootenay boy to another, I grew up in Nelson. I am currently in the stages of building my tank, I have 80% of my supplies already and I have been on a tight budget. Are you going to be running a sump?? If so, I would reccomend getting dead clean base rock for your main display, as its a ton cheaper ($3.50-4.00) a pound, and if you use marco rock, you get alot for what you pay for, and it has lots of surface area for life to grow. You would only need about 40 lbs to start cuz you will be getting more rock as you go with frags etc. If you buy actual sand from the ocean it will have life in it, so it will help cycle your tank, and if you have a sump then throw some live rock in there and let it go. They make additives that you can add to your water and they say you can start adding fish and corals in days, but Im not a fan of it really, all though i am doing this for a long term hobby, not overnight.

Have you looked on JL Aquatics website?? They are cheap and you dont have to go anywhere but your computer, and you cant beat their prices. You could get hydor korilias for power heads, brand new, and they are in the $30's for your application each. Thats off the top of my head. They have everything you need, and you will save money on traveling, and its free shipping on orders over $100

For lights, I would try and get a used set of LED's... I got a 60" sunbright fixture so I wouldnt have to replace bulbs at all, keep it simple. They are a bit more money, but you will not have any additional expenses, and its full spectrum lighting. Plus you can do cool colours and stuff for you kid at night and with the UV if its got it.

Hope this helps from my experience, its not over but Ill get water into my tank soon, when I finish my drywalling! Say hi to the mountains for me, I miss them!

ELMO
04-08-2013, 01:36 AM
You have PM