PDA

View Full Version : Compatibility question (tang and angel mostly)

wiggie
04-07-2013, 12:57 AM
I currently have a FOWLR 75g setup with a clown, xmas wrasse, and a flame angelfish.

I am looking to purchase a few new fish, possibly a purple firefish and a green cromis. But not decided for sure yet when or even if. (i'm trying to get all the colors of the rainbow :razz: )
But my questions are that i'm looking to buy a hippo tang or yellow tang possibly both.
And now before i have EVERYONE freak out that those fish are too big for the setup i realize that full grown they would be but i would be getting them at only 1 inch big and am goign to be upgrading long before they would be too big for the setup and I have a sufficient protein skimmer for the bioload.
My question is that my flame angel is inbetween 2 and 3 inches and by everything i have researched he is the only fish that may have a problem with the tangs, and honestly if it just came down to getting rid of him and buying a smaller one at the same time as the tang(s) i would.
Any feedback would be extremely appreciated.

halwake
04-07-2013, 03:29 AM
Added a yellow tang to my tank with an established flame angel and they have been getting along great from day one. No issues at all. Just my recent experience.

FishyFishy!
04-07-2013, 03:48 AM
Generally speaking, they should get along just fine. I have had many angelfish/tang combos with no problems at all.

Now... that being said, every fish has its own personality just like humans, and just like humans, some of those fish can be dicks. But that's a safe combo to try for sure.

banditpowdercoat
04-07-2013, 04:43 AM
Yellow, Naso, and a Hippo with a Coral beauty and Flame angel Never any problems

kien
04-07-2013, 04:59 AM
A one inch yellow tang?! I didn't even know that was possible!

kien
04-07-2013, 05:02 AM
Oops sorry I may have freaked out a little bit there.. So ya, I've had various tangs and angels and they've never cared about one another.

.. Seriosuly, a 1 inch yellow tang?! That's crazy!

banditpowdercoat
04-07-2013, 06:18 AM
Oops sorry I may have freaked out a little bit there.. So ya, I've had various tangs and angels and they've never cared about one another.

.. Seriosuly, a 1 inch yellow tang?! That's crazy!

When I go to JL, the often have baby Hippo's etc, Like UNDER a inch. I'm like WOW there SOOOOO cute. OK, wheres the damn shrink ray??? Far cry from my ohh 7"+ Hippo

lastlight
04-07-2013, 06:21 AM
Far cry from my ohh 7"+ Hippo

Seriously, a 7 inch hippopotamus?! That's crazy!

jorjef
04-07-2013, 12:22 PM
Far cry from my ohh 7"+ Hippo

YOU ACTUALLY HAVE AN ELUSIVE NORTH AMERICAN HOUSE HIPPO. ???? I wanted one forever. For those unfamiliar with the house hippo I please read the cut and paste below...... I am so jealous.

The North American House Hippo is a creature that can be found throughout Canada and the Eastern United States. The House Hippo is a very timid creature and is rarely seen. While normally a quiet animal that prefers to stay unnoticed, the House Hippo is very territorial and will defend its territory if provoked. The House Hippo comes out at night to search for food and water. The favourite foods of the House Hippo include chips, raisins and the crumbs from peanut butter on toast. The House Hippo will come out at night to search for materials for its nest. They tend to build their nests in bedroom closets with mittens, dryer lint and bits of string.The House Hippo sleeps 16 hours a day, only coming out to search for food and water and materials for its nest. Also, due to their timid nature, they chose to only come out at night while you are most likely are sleeping.

kien
04-07-2013, 02:14 PM
When I go to JL, the often have baby Hippo's etc, Like UNDER a inch. I'm like WOW there SOOOOO cute. OK, wheres the damn shrink ray??? Far cry from my ohh 7"+ Hippo

Ya I've seen those itty bitty hippo tangs at Big Al's here. They are so cute. However, I can't say that I have ever seen an itty bitty yellow tang. Seriosuly, a 1" yellow tang?!?!?! That's insane!

lockrookie
04-07-2013, 02:17 PM
Images of the house hippo cause we need visual aid

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/4EA377F2-C264-4FE9-B90F-88ABD03D1EFD-10358-00000F65178AE53D.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/CC4E3D9F-9EFC-4303-86C7-3936B15A0E6A-10358-00000F6518051DAF.jpg

wiggie
04-07-2013, 04:10 PM
thanks for the replies everyone. It sounds like i will be adding the tangs for sure. And for anyone in edm. i've seen quite a few of the very small hippo tangs at marine aquaria on the southside and big als but i may have to order the yellow tang. I think i saw one once but they are harder to find small i believe.

Ian
04-08-2013, 12:19 AM
If you find a source for the house Hippo..I am in on that buy...just sayin