PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing help please

Evilweevil
04-07-2013, 12:45 AM
So we are in the process of an upgrade going from 95 to a 220 we have a sump room which is about 35' away with about 9' head height we have a supreme classic pump which is supposed to get about 600 gph ( I am sure it's flowing less) i have a reeflo barracuda pump ready for the upgrade , and now have a shiny new sump sitting in the basement ( thanks to concept) I have a 1" line being used right now with various elbows along the way , would switching over to a 1.5" line maximize the flow with the barracuda pump ?

WarDog
04-07-2013, 12:59 AM
Absolutely!!!! If you are pumping water horizontally 35 feet you have to add some of that distance to the 9' head. If you add 4 elbows to that you are probably looking at about close to 20 foot of head off your pump. Upsizing is always good!

Evilweevil
04-07-2013, 01:09 AM
Yes I realize the elbows reduce the flow a bit but I want to know more about the difference between the 1" and 1.5 " the idea behind the head pressure is the weight in water pushing back against the flow so wouldn't the bigger pipe add more weight in water ?

daplatapus
04-07-2013, 02:51 AM
While in theory, yes there is more water weight going with 1 1/2" over 1", but that's only really 1 part of the story. Friction loss is a very big deal to contend with. And 1 1/2" pipe has significantly less friction loss than 1". The barracuda pump can easily handle the head pressure of either, but you'll get way more flow with the 1 1/2". I'm running 1 1/4" piping on my barracuda with probably 10'-12' of head and I figure I'm in the 1400 gph range or so.

FishyFishy!
04-07-2013, 04:07 AM
Same here, I noticed a big flow improvement when I switched my Hammerhead from 1" to 1.5". I'd run the 1.5" for sure.

Evilweevil
04-07-2013, 04:40 AM
Damn you guys I didn't want to have to run more pipe lol but looks like I will be making another trip to the plumbing supply store

daplatapus
04-07-2013, 01:41 PM
Lol, I know exactly how you feel. Re-plumbed mine 3 times :D
Make sure you put a ball valve on the discharge side to be able to regulate flow a bit. Those barracuda's can flow tons of water. The nice thing with them too is if you upgrade, you can just get a hammerhead impeller and swap them out. That's what I did (but in reverse, bought a used hammerhead and swapped to the barracuda for like $30)

Evilweevil
04-07-2013, 07:33 PM
I am sure glad I ran a 2.5 inch for the overflow line now , I am sure getting tired of running pipe I am thinking I will leave the 1" as a line for a closed loop if I want it

Thanks for the advice guys