PDA

View Full Version : Converting FW to SW

Palmer
04-06-2013, 09:05 PM
Hi Everybody,

I am converting a 125 G african cichlid tank to a SW tank with soft corals. I know the sand is filled with nutrients and when draining it have siphoned off as much as possible. I know ideally it would be best to start with new sand. When I want to start it up with SW I was thinking of just putting in live rock and letting it cycle with the nutrients in the sand rather then using a shrimp :biggrin:. Then putting on a skimmer and just letting it sit for awhile. Then fill it with a clean up crew and just going slow and not introcucing corals or fish for awhile.

Thoughts?

Aquattro
04-06-2013, 09:07 PM
Not a terrible idea :)

Palmer
04-06-2013, 09:12 PM
Not a terrible idea :)

lol THats what I am trying to convince myself of. I spend so much time making RO water and keeping my SW tanks nutrient low with my SPS. But I cant stomach spending a couple hundred bucks on sand when the tank needs to cycle anyway and I am going to eventually throw in cerith and nassarius snails who will probably think they are in heaven.

saltyair
04-06-2013, 09:12 PM
Personally not a good idea IMO. best to start with new sand or rinse the sand thoroughly. The ammonia and nitrate will be extremely high and give algae a big boost. Also don't run your lights during the cycle

Hi Everybody,

I am converting a 125 G african cichlid tank to a SW tank with soft corals. I know the sand is filled with nutrients and when draining it have siphoned off as much as possible. I know ideally it would be best to start with new sand. When I want to start it up with SW I was thinking of just putting in live rock and letting it cycle with the nutrients in the sand rather then using a shrimp :biggrin:. Then putting on a skimmer and just letting it sit for awhile. Then fill it with a clean up crew and just going slow and not introcucing corals or fish for awhile.

Thoughts?

Palmer
04-07-2013, 02:59 AM
Good point about keeping the lights off and possible algae bloom

Aquattro
04-07-2013, 03:24 AM
Personally not a good idea IMO.

Remember, I said not terrible. Not the best way of course, and I wouldn't do it, but I think it's manageable. Personally, I'd buy new sand :)

mrhasan
04-07-2013, 03:55 AM
Which is cheaper? Buying new sand and cycling with shrimp or using the old sand and keeping up with vigorous water change - that's the $$$$ question ;)

Myka
04-07-2013, 01:12 PM
But I cant stomach spending a couple hundred bucks on sand

How mch sand do you plan on using? :eek: My 50-gallon tank has less than one $30 bag. For $30 I would start with new sand. Your old sand will have a lot of nutrients - a lot more than you want to deal with. The money you save on sand you will spend on waterchanges and GFO. :lol:

Palmer
04-07-2013, 02:29 PM
I am guessing a 120 g long would take 3 bags. I wasn't planning on doing any more water changes than I normally do which is a lot. The idea was to just let it cycle and then utilize a cleanup crew. But maybe I shouldn't try this experiment. :biggrin:

Coralgurl
04-07-2013, 02:41 PM
We left the gravel from our fw setup in the bottom of the tank when we converted and added sand on top. Never had a problem with this until I added an eel and he mixed everything up and then it was just ugly.

We had the initial algae bloom, but it cleared up and the tank ran quite well for a year.

Myka
04-07-2013, 02:48 PM
I am guessing a 120 g long would take 3 bags. I wasn't planning on doing any more water changes than I normally do which is a lot. The idea was to just let it cycle and then utilize a cleanup crew. But maybe I shouldn't try this experiment. :biggrin:

Oops, sorry for some reason I thought this was a 41-gallon tank. I must have been reading some other thread. Hence my reference to my 50-gallon tank. :o

You could try it, if all else fails you siphon the sand out and try again. If you fill the tank halfway with FW, let it circulate for a couple days, then test ammonia, nitrate, and phosphate that will give you an idea where you stand.