PDA

View Full Version : LF Harlequin Shrimp - Kelowna

nrosdal
04-05-2013, 10:07 PM
I have been having some lps receding and did not put that problem together with the fact that i have all these lovely little Asterina Stars. Now there are many Asterinas and i am in need of something to eat them up.

Let me know if you have a harlequin you are not wanting or have seen one somewhere close by (Kelowna, BC).

Thanks

Nick

nrosdal
04-09-2013, 06:46 AM
Ok, found one and now i am scared to add it because of a few of its future tankmates.

Lionfish: 2 fuzzy dwarf, 1 antenna (all 3-4")
Blood Red Hawkfish (my biggest concern)
niger trigger 4"
and lots of others (none of which i could see being a problem clown, chromis, ect).

Let me know what you think and if i should be watching or removing any of my existing stock to allow a safe addition of the cute little devil.

Here is what he will be trying to stop:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/sheetmetal/2013-04-03202130_zps62c4ce2f.jpg

Aquattro
04-09-2013, 06:49 AM
IN my experience, they eat the algae off areas that have receded for other reasons. I've never seen them damage a healthy coral.
And the fish you mentioned will all likely eat a harlequin.

nrosdal
04-09-2013, 06:58 AM
i am somewhat worried that you may be correct because there was a star on a healthy brain that i have and it was off of it the nect day but i have a few lps that have been receding lately(unknown reason) and they seem to be the ones that are being attacked by many stars (i picked 5 off of the hammer in picture today). So i don't know if there is something that is bothering them to begin with and the stars are getting the weak ones or if the stars are fully to blame or not at all and i just don't know what.

Aquattro
04-09-2013, 12:39 PM
I have tons of those things, and they never touch healthy tissue. If something starts to recede, I can find them a few days later once algae starts growing on the bare area. Doubt they cause any issues at all, other than being annoying to look at sometimes :)

nrosdal
04-09-2013, 05:50 PM
i don't like the answer but you may be right. Now i have to find a problem that s not showing up on tests and only effecting 1/3 of my corals... great. :S

Thanks for the advise.