PDA

View Full Version : Tank Broken or Not

micah
04-05-2013, 04:56 PM
Hi all, I have a Fluval Osaka tank. I recently had a flood in my house because of a wonky filter and when the insurance guys moved my tank I noticed that a chunk of glass broke off.

Here is a picture of the break. Can you / anyone please let me know.

Is this tank still good to go or does it need a major repair.

http://www.hockeytraderumors.com/fluval.jpg

Thanks

JmeJReefer
04-05-2013, 05:09 PM
Does it leak from that point? How thick is the glass? Is it a corner/grazed chunk that came off or a whole little section from the one pane? Ive got a similar ding on my 9 gallon on the outside corner, but it holds water and no leakage so rather than test the fish gods, im leaving it alone...

As the saying goes"some things are meant to be broken" or something Like that.

micah
04-05-2013, 05:13 PM
hmm,

I will fit it to that point to see if it leaks. It seems like it is just the corner but I am concerned that the chunk that came off will make it much weaker.

CM125
04-05-2013, 05:27 PM
I would fill it and test it first, but not gonna lie, I would totally keep using it....

slakker
04-05-2013, 05:29 PM
I wouldn't risk it... you just went through the hassle of a flood, can you imagine another one? :cry:

globaldesigns
04-05-2013, 05:43 PM
I would say it depends on how much glass is left with the sealed surface.

I myself had a corner chip off my tank when it was first moved in, almost 5 years ago. It was the very back corner, not large, more of a corner flaked off. I put some crazy glue on it, to seal it and to make it smooth. To this day I have never had an issue, and one would probably never know it was there.

In your case, your damage looks a bit more than what I had, so again, it would depend on what is left for glass. If there isn't much left over the actual seal, I probably wouldn't take the chance. Not sure if what I see is a big chunk sitting on the table surface or if you are asking about the chip I see above the black tape, or both.

Ross
04-05-2013, 06:11 PM
I would say it depends on how much glass is left with the sealed surface.

I myself had a corner chip off my tank when it was first moved in, almost 5 years ago. It was the very back corner, not large, more of a corner flaked off. I put some crazy glue on it, to seal it and to make it smooth. To this day I have never had an issue, and one would probably never know it was there.

In your case, your damage looks a bit more than what I had, so again, it would depend on what is left for glass. If there isn't much left over the actual seal, I probably wouldn't take the chance. Not sure if what I see is a big chunk sitting on the table surface or if you are asking about the chip I see above the black tape, or both.

That's not tape, that's the chunk that is missing and is on the table.

Personally I wouldn't risk it.
You could reinforce the corner with a section of glass inside the tank, but that would require a reseal job.

Borderjumper
04-05-2013, 06:21 PM
I would file a claim with your insurance for a new tank.. If that was a top corner I wouldn't worry too much, but being at the bottom the whole tank will drain if it leaks.

micah
04-05-2013, 06:23 PM
I think that is what I will have to do. Thanks for the advise. Yes, that is the large piece of glass that come off.

FishyFishy!
04-05-2013, 06:33 PM
Very mixed opinions here, however I think with a chip that has no visible cracks, and all seems to be terminated, I think you'll be fine. I have a sump with a chunk missing from the corner and it's been fine for 3 years.

What I did was thouroughly examined the area with a magnifying glass to make sure that there was no residual cracks as a result of the chip (any tiny cracks could easily run when filled and result in a large leaking crack). I then filled the chip with silicone using an acrylic corner square to make it look nice and flush. You can barely notice it's even there.

I would risk it if there are no cracks. However that being said.... if you can get a brand spankin new tank from your insurance company... then do it! lol.

micah
04-05-2013, 07:01 PM
Is it possible to get 2 pieces of glass and then use some kind of glass glue to reinforce this corner from the inside? I would then use aquarium silicone to reseal this corner.

Thoughts?

globaldesigns
04-05-2013, 07:04 PM
That's not tape, that's the chunk that is missing and is on the table.

Personally I wouldn't risk it.
You could reinforce the corner with a section of glass inside the tank, but that would require a reseal job.

Thanks, knowing that I wouldn't risk it.