PDA

View Full Version : Black Cap Basslet with Royal Gramma

Treebeard
04-05-2013, 03:19 PM
My Royal Gramma passed on a few weeks ago from old age I assume. She was one of the first fish we added to our first tank 5 years ago and a favorite. I am thinking of adding a Black Cap Basslet and wondering if I could also keep a Royal Gramma? From what I have researched, they may not get along, but others have suggested if they are introduced at the same time they may be OK. Anyone had any success keeping them together?

Myka
04-05-2013, 04:02 PM
What size tank?

Treebeard
04-05-2013, 04:06 PM
90 gallon.

AHHope
04-05-2013, 05:22 PM
I've currently got 3 royal grammas in my 90 gallon. I introduced them all at the same time and have had no problems so there shouldn't be a problem with a gramma and a black cap. Most people don't realize that in the wild both species live in fairly large groups in overhangs in the reef. Only real difference is the depth there found at.

Reef_Geek
04-05-2013, 08:03 PM
I had a trio of black caps in a dedicated 90gal broodstock tank. Over the course of 5 years, they hid 90% of the time. Royal Grammas are out in the open more often. I never housed G. loreto and G. melacara together but would assume they're not going to run into each other too often. Others having them in community tanks may have different experiences.

Myka
04-05-2013, 08:42 PM
90 gallon.

They probably would have enough space to occupy different territories.