PDA

View Full Version : Custom Made Aquariums

byee
04-04-2013, 06:09 AM
Looking at setting up a cube tank to replace my 120 gallon tank.

Marineland offers a 24x24x24 60 gallon tank or a 30x30x24 95 gallon tank.

I'm looking for more of a 28x28x28 aquarium 95 gallon tank. No one offers this size.

Any suggestions on custom aquarium manufacturers within the Lower Mainland? Washington state or even Vancouver Island?

Thanks!

WarDog
04-04-2013, 06:20 AM
Why not make your own?

byee
04-04-2013, 07:45 AM
I never even considered it. Silicone is too messy to play with. Also want the finished trim which goes around the top and bottom of the aquarium.

Have you built a tank before? Is the trim pieces readily available?

FishyFishy!
04-04-2013, 01:52 PM
Contact Concept Aquariums - They are a site sponsor and they do amazing work. They also ship tanks to you over there.

byee
04-04-2013, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the info.

I'm leaning towards a local manufacturer to avoid costly shipping costs. I spoke to a company in Edmonton this morning and shipping charges will be approximately $350! Still need to pay for the aquarium.

I'm just waiting for a response from another custom aquarium manufacture in ON to call back with a quote. Probably $$$$$ as well.

Buying standard 1/2" glass with polished edges 28" x 28" is $118 for each panel....looking at approximately $600 if I build it myself.

Not sure if I'm willing to build my own tank simply because I've never done it before.

For the ones who have built their own tanks..........any advice will be helpful.

Thanks!

globaldesigns
04-04-2013, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the info.

I'm leaning towards a local manufacturer to avoid costly shipping costs. I spoke to a company in Edmonton this morning and shipping charges will be approximately $350! Still need to pay for the aquarium.

I'm just waiting for a response from another custom aquarium manufacture in ON to call back with a quote. Probably $$$$$ as well.

Buying standard 1/2" glass with polished edges 28" x 28" is $118 for each panel....looking at approximately $600 if I build it myself.

Not sure if I'm willing to build my own tank simply because I've never done it before.

For the ones who have built their own tanks..........any advice will be helpful.

Thanks!

As indicated above, check out Concept... I have seen posts where dealing with them was cheaper than dealing locally, even with shipping included. Can't hurt to call them up and ask.

viperfish
04-04-2013, 07:31 PM
SO Marineland makes exactly the style you want but you won't buy it because of a 2" difference in dimensions? Wow!

byee
04-05-2013, 02:27 AM
Yeah!

I just prefer the taller version of the tank.

byee
04-15-2013, 02:14 PM
I've received all my pricing..........its beyond what I'm willing to spend! Prices were 3-4 times of the price of the 60 gal Marineland cube.

Now I'm back to considering the 60 gal Marineland aquarium 24" x 24" x 24".

Does anyone know if the black trim can be removed from the top of the aquarium so I can have an euro brace installed?

Thank you!

lastlight
04-15-2013, 03:03 PM
The marineland 93 is actually a 29x29x29 outside dimension tank. 30x30x30 is with the large black trim.

byee
04-15-2013, 09:44 PM
Thanks for pointing this out.

I was considering the 95g cube but going back to my original plan for the 60 gallon cube.

Once again, thanks!

byee
04-16-2013, 10:00 PM
Just going back to one of my questions.....

Has anyone successfully taken the black trim off the top edge of the aquarium and installed 3" euro bracing around the top?

I'd like to know if it can easily be done or any problems.

zhasan
04-20-2013, 04:54 AM

Has anyone successfully taken the black trim off the top edge of the aquarium and installed 3" euro bracing around the top?

I've taken the black trim off my 20G tank before and it was fine without it. I'm sure if you take the trim off and eurobrace it you'll have no problems. Keep in mind that the edges under the trim are not polished..

WarDog
04-20-2013, 08:01 AM
It's a lot of work and not recommended. If you remove it from the bottom you will need to place the tank on some foam. Also the edges of glass may not be completely sanded and may 'shell' if you hit them as they have been protected by the trim. The bottom may also be tempered and explode with the slightest end-on tap (you'd be surprised!) Not to mention you can seriously slice yourself up. If you remove the top trim you will have to euro brace for structural safety... but be prepared to clean up a lot of silicone under that trim... the factory just slops it on. Buy yourself a 2 1/2 or 5 gal and practice first!!!

lockrookie
04-20-2013, 01:28 PM

To answer your question yes see my 180g build but I used 4" euro if you place the euro on the top edge you don't have to worry about chipping slicing... And the general mayhem described. Besides its your tank do what you want with it if it does t work the first time.... Try again