PDA

View Full Version : Considering Adding GFO Alongside With Pellets and Carbon

Steve...
04-04-2013, 03:21 AM
Hi Everyone,

Its been over a month now and I've still been seeing some air bubbles on my live rock. I'm suspecting this is some cyno or hair algae starting to pop up. Right now I'm running pellets and carbon in my tank. Reading some treads in on the form is it safe to say that pellets don't do a good job of removing phos? My next step was consider adding GFO , could anyone provide me with some experience and pre-cautions about this idea? I know Kein has had great success with this set up.

The Grizz
04-04-2013, 03:39 AM
Been running pellets & carbon for some time now with undectectable Phos but adding GFO wouldn't hurt one bit.

Top-dogg
04-04-2013, 03:46 AM
I'm running carbon, gfo on dual reactors and bio pellets in phosban reactor all plumbed from my return line. I had cyano bloom and hair algae after I introduced the pellets. Now the pellets are stablished with bacteria that cyano and hair algae are now almost 80% gone and improving growth/color on some all of my sps. I also dose coral snow from zeovit.

globaldesigns
04-04-2013, 04:22 AM
I run all 3 without issue

Steve...
04-04-2013, 04:42 PM
Sounds good! What kind of GFO is worth looking at ?

kien
04-04-2013, 05:13 PM
I know Kein has had great success with this set up.

I just copy whatever Kein does. He said it was okay to use GFO with BioPellets so that's what I do too.

ruslicus
04-04-2013, 09:52 PM
And I can confirm I do same as Kien advised and my PO3 is 0 now. Yahoooooooooooo!

Steve...
04-05-2013, 12:56 PM
I just copy whatever Kein does. He said it was okay to use GFO with BioPellets so that's what I do too.

lol, looks like this is the case :). When adding the GFO, do you guys by pass it through another reactor eg: bio pellets then GFO or do you guys have individual in and outs? Right now, both my carbon and pellets are separated. Is there also a break in period for GFO, like add little slowly and increase amount with time?

ruslicus
04-05-2013, 02:19 PM
Steve, my experience, as I just recently did it as per Kien guideline, was to allow some time GFO to start working. Initially my PO3 was 0.08-0.09 which is not bad, but too high for very nice SPS coloration. My target was to remove PO3 as my NO3 was at 0.00. BioPellets remove majority of NO3 but a little of PO3. I run separately. BioPellets outlet goes into skimmer intake, and GFO goes into return chamber. Within a week my NO3 is still at 0.00 and my PO3 is 0.00-0.03. Thank you Kien!

kien
04-05-2013, 03:05 PM
Right now, both my carbon and pellets are separated. Is there also a break in period for GFO, like add little slowly and increase amount with time?

I know of many people who run GFO and Carbon in one reactor with success. The advantage in doing it this way is to save on space and money (and possibly added heat from an extra pump?). I've also seen people run two reactors off of one pump (i used to do this a while ago). Myself, I have the room in my sump so I just run separate reactors with separate pumps for two reasons:

1. I like to change out my media on alternating intervals. That is, on the 15th of every month I change out my GFO while on the 30th of every month I change out my Carbon. I do this to reduce my one time maintenance (ie, so that I'm not spending too much time changing out both media at once). I also like to spread the effects of the changes.

2. I like to flow different rates through my media.

At any rate, I've seen it done many different ways to suit peoples needs.

Thank you Kien!

You're welcome. I'm happy to see that things are working out now. See, I told you not to panic :-) Now just sit back and let your tank settle in :biggrin:

Skimmerking
04-05-2013, 03:26 PM
I know of many people who run GFO and Carbon in one reactor with success. The advantage in doing it this way is to save on space and money (and possibly added heat from an extra pump?). I've also seen people run two reactors off of one pump (i used to do this a while ago). Myself, I have the room in my sump so I just run separate reactors with separate pumps for two reasons:

1. I like to change out my media on alternating intervals. That is, on the 15th of every month I change out my GFO while on the 30th of every month I change out my Carbon. I do this to reduce my one time maintenance (ie, so that I'm not spending too much time changing out both media at once). I also like to spread the effects of the changes.

2. I like to flow different rates through my media.

At any rate, I've seen it done many different ways to suit peoples needs.

You're welcome. I'm happy to see that things are working out now. See, I told you not to panic :-) Now just sit back and let your tank settle in :biggrin:

:pop2:

Bblinks
04-05-2013, 05:40 PM
I am with you Kien, I like to flow different rates too. once a while I have no flow at all. :wink:

All jokes aside, I run rowaphos with my carbon off the same pump for my pellets and UV. I was always getting a 0 ppm reading from Hanna but since I got the ultra low range its showing up at 13 ppb. I will be running a bit more GFO ratio to carbon see if I can bring it down to 0. I really dont think its critical to have phosphate at 0 but since we are introducing phosphate into the tank all the time it wouldn't hurt to try.

globaldesigns
04-05-2013, 05:48 PM
I use to run a bunch of reactors, but keeping it more simple nowadays. Reactor for the pellets, but running GFO in first bubble trap, and carbon in the last one before return pump. Using the traps for these, allows lots of flow through the material, and from what I read you don't need to reactor them.

I change out GFO monthly, carbon mid and end of month.

Proteus
04-05-2013, 05:59 PM
I don't run gfo and run carbon passively. If I did start to run gfo it would also be passive in the bubble trap. The only reactor I run is a mr1 full of hydroton.

Steve...
04-06-2013, 12:36 AM
Now if I ran GFO into my reactor, is there such thing as adding to much?
With the pellets, I was told I don't need to change them out, just top it off because the pellets will dissolve away.