PDA

View Full Version : Combining 2 different types of clownfish in one tank

Coralgurl
04-02-2013, 11:22 PM
Would it be possible to mix clown species in 1 tank? I've got 2 black and whites and 2 clarkiis, I'd like to add the b&w to my 180 as I'm shutting down the 55 gl tank. The other fish in the 55 should be fine to add in (flame hawk fish, 2 chromis and a flame angel).

The Grizz
04-02-2013, 11:33 PM
I have seen it done but I am sure that the one's that are already in the 180 will attack and possibly kill the new additions. Clowns are viscous little ba$tards!!

BlueWorldAquatic
04-02-2013, 11:39 PM
should be no problem, give them plenty of hiding spots or homes (nems & clay pots)

I have 7 in my 90 at home

Madreefer
04-02-2013, 11:43 PM
I had a 90G with 2 percs and a tomato clown. I had an anemone on each side of the tank. All 3 kept to their own homes and there was never an issue for as long as I had the tank.

In my 144G I have 1 perc with his anemone and added 2 tank bred blackies. Within a day the blackie female started beating up andkicked out the orange perc from his home. Well my wife did'nt like what happened as she figured my orange perc was there first so the blackies were caught and put in my 75G

So if you had 2 anemones it might be problem free.

But all those that say tank bred clowns will never host in an anemone have been proven wrong. There's a few on here that have said it.

Myka
04-02-2013, 11:49 PM
Clarkii when mature are generally quite a bit more aggressive than Darwins, so it may not be a wise choice long-term. If you have one anemone on each side of the tank for each pair to claim it might work.

Coralgurl
04-02-2013, 11:51 PM
I have a huge rbta that I will be moving over, but the female won't let the male in at all even though he does sneak in when she's not paying attention.

I'm going to start moving everyone tonight. I've got eggcrate, I could build a barrier between sides to let the new (old) clowns settle. I love both sets and don't want to give up either of them.

Coralgurl
04-02-2013, 11:54 PM
Clarkii when mature are generally quite a bit more aggressive than Darwins, so it may not be a wise choice long-term. If you have one anemone on each side of the tank for each pair to claim it might work.

My female clarkii doesn't care for her male either. I'll move the nem first, then the clowns, hopefully that will work. I'm hoping because they are different shapes and colors they'll ignore each other, plus they'll each have a nem.

rynoe
04-03-2013, 12:34 AM
Keep us posted on how this works. I have been thinking of doing the same thing

drabber
04-03-2013, 02:19 AM
i have had luck adding clarkiis to an existing tank with occs already established. but have had no luck with adding occ last.

good luck!

Coralgurl
04-03-2013, 02:22 AM
Well the clarkiis have taken the new nem, hoping the occs will find the other one.

All the fish are moved, sale thread to follow.

scubadawg
04-03-2013, 02:34 AM
I had 2 black and white clowns, I tried to add the 2 regular clownfish, they were fighting within 5 mins, had to pull them out before the Black and White kills them

paddyob
04-03-2013, 04:21 AM
should be no problem, give them plenty of hiding spots or homes (nems & clay pots)

I have 7 in my 90 at home

Mixed species or the same? I have seen groups of OCs in tanks in the past.

Coralgurl
04-05-2013, 03:55 PM
Well so far it seems everyone is "tolerating" each other, but the Clarkiis are a bit aggressive with the newbies. I put the rbta in the middle of the tank and released the b&w clowns into it, which was fine until the Clarkiis claimed it within minutes....:sad: I thought well I'll just move the other nem for them, nope, the male clarkii is sleeping in it at night....

Apparently the nem didn't care for where I placed it as it has been on the move, off its original rock, over to another one, last night to the side of the tank, this morning on the glass.

I'm going to need to move some of the lr around so once the nem settles, and hopefully come up with something to keep both sets happy.

saltyair
04-05-2013, 06:14 PM
IMO just don't do it - I wanted to try it myself.

I added 2 clowns with a mated pair (in an anemone) with a second anemone.

I have a 180 - and two anemone's each side of the tank. The new clowns were killed with in a week and these were perc's