PDA

View Full Version : BTA help...

subnet88
04-01-2013, 08:02 PM
I have a BTA that has moved itself right next to an MP40 (The rock is 4 - 6 in away from the Wet Side). Is this is a good place for it, or should I forcibly move it to somewhere with lower flow?

It shrinks closer to the rocks at night, and DOES take mysis in this location.

http://i46.tinypic.com/w8n6h0.jpg

pinkreef
04-01-2013, 08:16 PM
Can you put a rock between it and the powerhead? maybe it will then move higher for more light. it looks deep in a hole so it would be difficult
to move. it is light in colour because its a new purchase?
barb

saltyair
04-01-2013, 08:24 PM
the bta does not look healthy - 4 to 6 inches from the fan is very close. Anemones can inflate to a big size when happy.

See if it will take a piece of silver sides or squid.

If you can I would move the fan not the anemone.

good luck and i hope it colours up for you.

subnet88
04-01-2013, 08:26 PM
He takes food without problems( a chopped up silverside daily), also gets annoyed by a clown almost constantly.

subnet88
04-01-2013, 08:31 PM
The color looks light because it is a crappy phone pic under LED's. Without puttying down a rock I would not be able to create a low flow spot there, however the rock he is on is not fastened down, and could be pulled from the water.

mike31154
04-01-2013, 08:39 PM
Ya, that thing's tucked into a pretty good spot, would be difficult to move. I tore one of my BTAs up trying to get it out of a hole. You may be able to get it to loosen up by pointing a small powerhead at it, or using a turkey baster, but that could be a bit of a chore.

I'd say move the VorTech first if that's feasible & see what happens.

As far as feeding, daily seems a bit much. From my own experience the nem takes a few days to a week to digest something like a silverside. I realize you're chopping it up, but I suspect it may be spitting some back out when you're not seeing it, or perhaps at night.

Would help us help you if you provided more info as to how long you've had it, has it moved before, size of tank, type of lighting etc.

mike31154
04-01-2013, 08:43 PM
The color looks light because it is a crappy phone pic under LED's. Without puttying down a rock I would not be able to create a low flow spot there, however the rock he is on is not fastened down, and could be pulled from the water.

Well that makes things easier, move the rock with bta.

subnet88
04-01-2013, 08:43 PM
I have had it for 2 months. He moved there 2 weeks ago after I replaced my 2x Korellias with 2 Vortechs.

Over half of his meals are being stolen by shrimp, which is why he gets fed daily.

Tank is 90G, Lighting is 90 x 3W LED( DIY) at 60-75% The only new things to the tank are the vortechs, and some new SPS frags.

mike31154
04-01-2013, 08:57 PM
I have had it for 2 months. He moved there 2 weeks ago after I replaced my 2x Korellias with 2 Vortechs.

Over half of his meals are being stolen by shrimp, which is why he gets fed daily.

Tank is 90G, Lighting is 90 x 3W LED( DIY) at 60-75% The only new things to the tank are the vortechs, and some new SPS frags.

Ah, good info. When my BTA was new, shrimp would steal its food as well. In a few months, yours should colour up more, get stickier & the shrimp will no longer be able to do this.

Since it's been in that spot for a couple of weeks now, it's clearly content there. However, there are no guarantees it won't move again & being that close to the VorTech could spell disaster.

I'd try moving the rock as I mentioned in my earlier post. Then keep an eye on it for a while & see if it stays put in the new location. BTAs do like hollows & since it's found one in the rock it's on, chances are good it's comfortable & may stay on that rock if you can find a location with similar conditions elsewhere in the tank.