PDA

View Full Version : Sick wrasse

gregzz4
04-01-2013, 12:32 AM
Our McCosker's appeared to have MI when brought home, so I was already planning to do a round of Hypo in the QT
Then I introduced a Yellow Coris that had some redness, so I did a round of Maracyn-Two
The Coris didn't make it, but I finished the Maracyn treatment, so the McCosker's and the other 2 wrasses have been treated with a gram negative med
I added another Coris
I then started the Hypo cycle a couple days later
The Orange-back appeared to have some white-ness on his head but everyone was doing very well. Active and eating everything ...
Pellets, mysis, fortified brine, cyclopeeze and purple nori

Last week the McCosker's started swimming nose up and not using his tail at all
He stopped eating pellets, but is still eating frozen, so they are all getting Brightwells GarlicPower and AminOmega in every other feeding (one day on, one day off), and are being fed frozen 2 times per day
The other wrasses are still eating pellets, so they still get them for lunch daily

I started a round of API E.M. Erythromycin as it's a gram positive med
Today is dose 3 of 4 and I'm not seeing any improvement in the poor guy

The white-ness on the Orange-back is gone, and the Lubbocks and Coris have no signs of any illness

I tried turning off the 15w tube so he would rest more, but he's still swimming around during the day and is obviously struggling to swim with just his pec and dorsal fins

If he's still not better when I'm done with the E.M., what would you all recommend I try next ?

They're still in Hypo for the next 2 weeks

gregzz4
04-01-2013, 12:38 AM
Additional info;

Hypo was started after the initial cycle was done
When I started the E.M. I had to start using Stability and Am Guard again
The E.M. killed off some bacteria so here goes another tank cycle
I turned off the UV before starting the meds

79F
Sg 1.008
pH 7.9-8.0 regulated with sodium carbonate

I did a 50% WC before starting the meds and just today did the first 25% WC (in the middle of the meds)

Myka
04-01-2013, 12:57 AM
In the future, hyposalinity is not a good method of treatment for fish already showing spots. Hyposalinity is a good prevention in quarantine though for fish not showing symptoms.

Next time, use Furan 2 which treats both gram positive and gram negative bacteria and also does not affect the nitrifying bacteria.

I'm not sure what's wrong with the wrasse, almost sounds neurological. Personally, if a fish has a suspected disease that I don't know what it is I usually use Formalin because it treats such a broad spectrum of illnesses.

gregzz4
04-01-2013, 01:13 AM
I'll grab some Furan 2 for the med cabinet

The spots were MI, so I started Hypo
I don't understand why you said

'In the future, hyposalinity is not a good method of treatment for fish already showing spots'

unless you are referring to the Orange-back with the white-ness on his head

It looks like the only Formalin I can readily get my hands on is ParaGuard, which I don't place much faith in :wink:

I'm going to upload a vid of the poor dude ...

gregzz4
04-01-2013, 01:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uATiQ6xUmgI&feature=youtu.be

Argh, wrong video ....

Wait for the next one, it shows more

It's gonna be awhile to upload, I'll get it up soon

gregzz4
04-01-2013, 02:02 AM
OK, new vid is up
There's a definate white spot on his tail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOgJPs8W0SQ&feature=youtu.be

So, what would you try next ?

Myka
04-01-2013, 03:24 AM
The video looks similar to a problem I had with a Yellow Coris wrasse. Except the one I had swam in circles. It would still eat if the food was close enough, but the fish had no control of direction. I think it is either neurological or some sort of equilibrium/swim bladder problem. I hold little faith in that fish making it. I don't have any advice for you as I've not been successful treating that type of symptom.

The spots were MI, so I started Hypo
I don't understand why you said

'In the future, hyposalinity is not a good method of treatment for fish already showing spots'

MI as in Marine Ich, right? Hyposalinity doesn't usually work fast enough to save the fish if the fish is at such an advanced state of infection that it is showing Ich spots on its body. Hypo is good prophylactic treatment for fish showing no signs.

It looks like the only Formalin I can readily get my hands on is ParaGuard, which I don't place much faith in :wink:Yeah, I wouldn't buy that. Is that even Formalin? I don't think it is? See if your LFS can special order it for you, or try at your local university biology supply shop. Sometimes they will sell it to you.

gregzz4
04-02-2013, 01:18 AM
Thank you Mindy for the help

Yes, as in Marine Ich, and from what you say I guess I got lucky with my Kole as he made it through a bout in QT

Tonight is the last dose of E.M. Tomorrow night they get a nice WC and then a couple days of carbon

I'm pondering a round of Metronidazole next as a last ditch effort

Myka
04-02-2013, 03:35 AM
Thank you Mindy for the help

Yes, as in Marine Ich, and from what you say I guess I got lucky with my Kole as he made it through a bout in QT

Tonight is the last dose of E.M. Tomorrow night they get a nice WC and then a couple days of carbon

I'm pondering a round of Metronidazole next as a last ditch effort

You're welcome. :)

The Metro is a reasonable last ditch effort, although I wouldn't be wanting to expose the other fish to any more medications. They've had enough already!

daniella3d
04-02-2013, 05:01 AM
looks like a swim bladder problem. Could be a direct effect of the antibiotics and the good bacterias inside the fish intestine.

I would never treat with antibiotics unless it is 100% sure it is a bacterial disease. Most of the time it is a parasite that is causing the problem and it is better to treat with a broad spectrum medicine like Seachem Paraguard.

George
04-02-2013, 05:40 AM
Greg, check this thread out to see if it makes sense: http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f15/wrasse-swimming-funny-swim-bladder-50106/
Pay attention to comments by leebca. Leebca is an expert in this field.
I don't think it's swim bladder problem. I have seen a lot of fish with swim bladder problem and your fish doesn't have swim bladder problem.

gregzz4
04-03-2013, 02:52 AM
Thanks for the link George

I've done a 50% WC tonight, added carbon, and am now just going to sit back and hope he comes around, but I'm not holding my breath

gregzz4
04-06-2013, 05:06 AM
Whelp, no point in dragging this out any longer ...

Poor dude didn't make it

I'll chalk it up to cyanide capturing methods, or something similar

RIP Mac

input80
04-07-2013, 05:15 AM
Sorry for your loss Greg,,,,,,, I know how much time & effort you put into it.

gregzz4
04-07-2013, 05:27 AM
Sorry for your loss Greg,,,,,,, I know how much time & effort you put into it.

Thanks Ian
Maybe we'll find another soon ...

input80
04-07-2013, 05:30 AM
Anywhere specific you would buy it from ?

gregzz4
04-07-2013, 05:59 AM
I'm likin' the stock I get from J&L, but have seen some unhealthy fish there, and at King Ed's and IPU as well

It's a bit of a crapshoot sometimes

I'd love to get some fish from other reefers, but I prefer to get them small and young

input80
04-07-2013, 06:19 AM
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=96531
out in Langley, you would have to visit me,,,,,,, lol

gregzz4
04-07-2013, 02:58 PM
I can't grab another fish right now as these guys are half-way through Hypo
I'll let you know if I'm ever coming out your way