PDA

View Full Version : Go

Arty Morty
05-30-2004, 05:47 PM
Well, I seem to have a ton of what I think are bristle worms. Little red bristley guys that come out of my rock. They are about an inch or so long, some a little longer. Should I be worried about them now, or when they grow huge? If so, what could I get to cull them?
________
Shemale Mistress (http://www.****tube.com/categories/969/mistress/videos/1)

AJ_77
05-30-2004, 06:01 PM
I have a large cleaner shrimp that hunts them in one tank, and they don't come out much during the day. The smaller tank (with no cleaner shrimp) is thick with worms...

Don't think those are a problem... they do serve a purpose, and their populations tend to stabilize - even at what may seem ridiculous levels. If there is a dead or dying snail or small fish, you won't see it and it won't have a chance to foul the tank. They're THAT good. :biggrin:

They clean up the stuff that they would otherwise be competing with another cleaner shrimp for. I prefer watching the shrimp over the worms, but the shrimp is voracious, and goes after pods and pretty much anything else that moves. The worms only clean up (they don't hunt), so they're not competiing for food with your Mandarin or 6-line wrasse, for instance.

StirCrazy
05-30-2004, 07:53 PM
the are exilent scavengers and have never caused a problem in my tank. I have a couple larger ones and they are ok also.

Steve

hockey nut
05-30-2004, 09:00 PM
From what I've read and seen and been told, there are good worms and then there are bad worms. The ones you describe sound like good ones. All worms serve a purpose of some sort, but some can be harmfull. I should of taken a picture of the two worms I just got rid of. They were of the harmful variety ( so I've read ) ref marine mag form local fish store. I also have a longer red one with very fine bristles and I'm keeping an eye on him but no problems yet. Maybe someone could post a site with different types of worms and hitch hikers etc. Or recommend a book. From what I understand most worms are very beneficial. :smile:

DOO-E
05-30-2004, 10:35 PM
I found my first one yesterday while fraggin my fisrt mushroom

Bob I
05-31-2004, 02:43 AM
From what I've read and seen and been told, there are good worms and then there are bad worms. The ones you describe sound like good ones. All worms serve a purpose of some sort, but some can be harmfull. I should of taken a picture of the two worms I just got rid of. They were of the harmful variety ( so I've read ) ref marine mag form local fish store. I also have a longer red one with very fine bristles and I'm keeping an eye on him but no problems yet. Maybe someone could post a site with different types of worms and hitch hikers etc. Or recommend a book. From what I understand most worms are very beneficial. :smile:

Why not have a look at Ron Shimek's forum on Reef Central :question: I am sure your questions will be answered there. :rolleyes: