PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh I have red bug

Proteus
03-31-2013, 02:17 AM
I notice red bug on two pieces. I thought something was off as my colors are fading. SO

I will go to vet to get some interceptor. But want to know

Is it safe for my clams
And is there any pill to water volume calculation
Should I take skimmer offline

I read that multiple treatment may be nessacery but wonder how long duration before skimming it out and wc

gregzz4
03-31-2013, 03:28 AM
Sorry to hear about your bugs
From what I've read, this (http://www.melevsreef.com/redbugs.html) is the way to go
Maybe others will chime in
Myka has used it and I can't find her post about doing so ...

Scratch that ...

I found Myka's Red Bug Treatment Journal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63808)

Good luck Nick

mrhasan
03-31-2013, 03:54 AM
Might be a good time to give RPS a try?

Proteus
03-31-2013, 04:00 AM
Thanks Greg. I was reading the above link. But always like to ask local as this group is my trusted source of info

Yeah the RPS is for the tank transfer but I guess the bugs will speed up that process. But I want to nuke the problem where it resides

I've only added coral from three places in the last 6 months. One I believe I got from is online vendor.
I cut back using coral rx after loosing a granulosa after a dip. Was just doin inspection and dip acros in fresh water

Aquattro
03-31-2013, 04:02 AM
Might be a good time to give RPS a try?

No, a little too late for that. Interceptor, at the prescribed dose, over three treatments is the way to go now. Safe for clams, not safe for shrimps and crabs.

Proteus
03-31-2013, 04:18 AM
Ok I did some reading ill have to try and trap the shrimp. I will treat the entire tank and dip coral when I do transfer.

lastlight
03-31-2013, 06:31 AM
Crabs can survive it but you're taking chances. Ive had hermits a d porcelains survive.

Proteus
03-31-2013, 11:52 AM
Have one acro crab and one blood shrimp. Ill try to catch shrimp but all in all I'd rather loose a shrimp than all that coral

Aquattro
03-31-2013, 04:13 PM
Which stores have you been buying from so we know where to keep an eye out

Every single store/hobbyist is a risk to introducing pests into your tank. It's your responsibility to practice treating all new purchases, regardless where they came from. We are not going to name "bad" stores, they're all equally liable to have red bugs.

BlueTang<3
03-31-2013, 04:15 PM
Every single store/hobbyist is a risk to introducing pests into your tank. It's your responsibility to practice treating all new purchases, regardless where they came from. We are not going to name "bad" stores, they're all equally liable to have red bugs.

Sounds to me like the infested frags came from Brad ;)

Well said Brad, you can go to almost any store or to almost any members tank and find some sort of pest in there tank.

Aquattro
03-31-2013, 04:26 PM
Sounds to me like the infested frags came from Brad ;)

It very well could!! I have no idea, I'm damn near 50, couldn't see a red bug on the end of my nose. I tell everyone buying frags to assume I have one of everything on my frags and treat accordingly. Only you can prevent pests from getting in your tank. It's NEVER anyone else's fault

George
03-31-2013, 04:37 PM
I heard that the manufacturer of interceptor has temporarily shut down their production for several months now. You may not be able to find any through your vets.

reefwars
03-31-2013, 04:47 PM
while it wont solve your problem a dragon face pipefish will eat red bugs and help a bit

Proteus
03-31-2013, 04:56 PM
While I know where I bought frags from I will not blame anyone but myself. I should have taken the precaution but fell behind in a couple of instances.

It's a learning experience for me

Thanks Denny. I am also going to try to find a dragon face

George I know tgere was a halt in production last year. Just hope it's back on production line

reefwars
03-31-2013, 06:13 PM
But when stores say specifically that they quarantine everything for 2 weeks to ensure they are selling high quality specimens and charge a premium for this. We should know if they're falsely advertising this.

for the record two weeks doesnt do a whole lot for corals or for fish, for fish it buys you some time to see if they are eating and for any infections , for corals two weeks does nothing unless the corals are being dipped weekly and then quarantined seperately by the pests they are being treated for.

treating a colonie for say flat worms does nothing if thrown back into the display they were housed in , very few dips kill anything in one treatment.

its always on the buyer to treat their own livestock , if a business advertises zero pests then yes go back there , if they say they qt then thats fine too but if they charge you for qt then i would imagine it shows up on your invoices or its prob not the case or just here say.

its one thing to qt its another to guarantee pest free livestock which i doubt they do.

even if a business says they qt doesnt mean your getting a pest free item or a animal in perfect shape , like the consumer who buys the corals businesses will miss things too and are often misinformed.

Proteus
04-01-2013, 01:17 PM
Well last night I dosed my first treatment. Ran for 9.5 hours. This morning did quick WC and added carbon. Ill be counting bugs when I get off work.
No sign of acro crab in ussual spot so it may be gone. I was hoping it would kill off a few collinista snails to be seems not to have. Ill do second treatment on Friday as I think it said five days after

Thanks for all the help guys. I now have a frag policy. Lol