PDA

View Full Version : Will fiddler crabs eat ... ... ... ?

ckmullin
03-30-2013, 05:41 AM
Curious on people's experiences on whether or not fiddler crabs will eat feather dusters, zoa's, mushrooms, sponges etc.

thanks.

BuschWacker
03-30-2013, 02:36 PM
I had a fiddler for about a month. It never came out from a hiding spot long enough to disturb anything. It never touched any of my zoas, or my frogspawn. It really only ever went for a wander after lights out. I fed it pellets for crabs. It would come out to grab them, then take them back to its hole to eat. Not sure why it only lasted a month. I read that is fairly normal.

ckmullin
03-30-2013, 04:02 PM
Curious was there any dry area which was setup? I've read that it's best for these critters to give them something ( a raised rock out of the water ) to hang 10 out of the water.

Evilweevil
03-30-2013, 04:05 PM
I don't know anything about them personally but just googled them and everything I see says fiddlers are for brackish water and need to be able to climb out of the water and also need a sandy / mud beach area is this right ?

ckmullin
03-30-2013, 04:28 PM
To climb out of the water...what I've read too. For the brackish...I've also read that but not sold on the statement. Perhaps might give one a try and see.

BuschWacker
03-30-2013, 07:08 PM
Ya. I used a small stump of branching rock. Set it up so it was about a half inch above water level. I would catch it up in there from time to time. But usually when lights were out.