PDA

View Full Version : Exposing corals to air?

Gools
05-30-2004, 02:57 PM
Is it OK to expose your corals to the air? I want to do a water change but after draining a couple of gallons some of my corals are being exposed to the air. And I don't want to move them all down. The corals that would be exposed are, Horn Coral, Montipora dig, acro, and umbrella coral. I know that in the wild acro's are above the water at points in the day, and that there slime coat protects them but what about the other? I would only need about 5-10 minutes total time left in the air. Thanks

Skimmerking
05-30-2004, 03:58 PM
Actually Nigel if that was me , i would nt do it i would take the extra effort not to get the corals exposed to air...

why not take it from you sump area and the refuguim .there you can stop thewater flow and the top point ofthe tank and then take all the water frm those two area's will that will for ya ..

mike

StirCrazy
05-30-2004, 04:00 PM
I don't know what a "Horn Coral"or an "umbrella coral" is but I don't see a problem, just turn off you MH lights while you do it so they don't get unnessasarly UV burnt.

Steve

Delphinus
05-30-2004, 04:18 PM
It'll be a low tide to them. They'll probably slime up a bit but it will be OK if it's not for too long.

DOO-E
05-30-2004, 04:29 PM
I leave my corals ecposed for 5 or 10 minutes at a time its okay as logn as they stay moist. I just pour some water over them when they look dry. Havent lost any yet

Aquattro
05-30-2004, 04:44 PM
I regularly leave mine exposed for 20 minutes. In particular, my Horn (hydnophora) gets exposed the most. And a couple of acros. Never had a problem, but like Steve says, turn off the MH lights.

Skimmerking
05-30-2004, 07:10 PM
Well there you go
nigel <Reefering is amazing just when you think you know eeverything ,you get another question answered for ya .
Well now i know .thanks Canreef .. :razz:

mike