PDA

View Full Version : Ro / DI Poll

ltay
05-30-2004, 06:49 AM
How many of you out there uses RO / DI or both and what are your results from your tank ?

Aquattro
05-30-2004, 06:58 AM
I use RO/DI and always have. Since I don't have anything to compare it against, I can't comment on how it affects the tank. I do know that the water I add to my tank is only H2O and nothing else, so that's good.

Jack
05-30-2004, 07:12 AM
A long time ago I couldn't keep diatoms off my sandbed untill I bought my RO/DI unit.

Since then my tanks have always been healthy and algae free. I wouldn't run a tank without one.

I think it's really important to have for purified make-up water. Pure H2O leaves during evaporation so it's leaving all the impurities behind which must build up overtime. It's good to have pure water for waterchanges too!

ltay
05-30-2004, 07:48 AM
The waters in BC are soft... any advantages using with RO unit ? I am currently using only DI.

trilinearmipmap
05-30-2004, 08:21 AM
Bought an RO/DI unit, haven't set up my reef yet.

TDS is 12 ppm straight from my tap, wondering if tap water would have been OK.

StirCrazy
05-30-2004, 03:56 PM
The waters in BC are soft... any advantages using with RO unit ? I am currently using only DI.

yup they are soft and yes there is an advantage to use RO over DI.. COST. in the long run RO is much cheaper than DI.

my average PPM is 12 to 17 in my tap water, 0 from my RO and I did notice a difference from when I was using filtered tap water instead of RO water.

Steve

medican
05-30-2004, 09:34 PM
Hey......

When I first started my reef tank I used strait tap water..... :cry:
My tank was a mess. TDS aprox. 160. Then and now and forever I am using RO/DI in tank and piped to fridge for the family.....everthing is great tank took awhile to clear up but did......now diatoms are comming back havent checked TDS (will tonight) time to change filters imthinking :idea:

OH yes....with filter running mt TDS is 1 :cool:

Richard