PDA

View Full Version : Blue Dot Sting Rays

brianyam
03-28-2013, 01:47 PM
Hi,

Well walked in with my dad to ask a question at LFS store, he walks out with two blue do sting rays to my objections. Now I am taking care of them. Had them for about a week now, seem stable. Eaten my nice live shrimps. So they eat, but I refuse to give them anything live anymore. So I am playing poker with them until they eat my offerings of earth worm and krill.

I want to sell both. I just have a small reef tank and did not intend to take care of two rays (they are in another tank that was suppose to be for fresh water). I am not willing right now to go into a 150-200G salt water tank for these guys.

They are about the size of a hand. Asking $200 for both.

my email is brian.yam@gmail.com. Thanks,
Brian

paddyob
03-28-2013, 02:31 PM
I think you should punish your father.

Get a good paddling spoon and explain why he should make better decisions.

Just a question.... Why has your dad ditched this on you so soon after. Only a week?

Let him deal with the sale and care. Lesson learned.

Maybe your LFS will take them back. Credit perhaps. Any reputable shop would consider rehoming something like a ray than leave it in poor hands.

brianyam
03-28-2013, 02:46 PM
I agree 100%. My dad has been trying to do salt water for years with little success. He rushes into things and buys fish without thinking. I suspected something was wrong when I saw his tank (we had not seen each other for a while - long story) so I wanted him to take me to where he buys allot of his stuff up in Markham.

I pretended I did not know much. I run 5 fresh water tanks with everything from arowana, discus and exotic plecos, and have a small 20G basic salt water tank with clown fish..etc. Nothing too crazy, but I know for sure the basics.

So I asked my dad to ask the store guy to give him some media so he can seed his tank and do a proper cycle. What does the guy do? Tell my dad no need, buy this $80 bacteria crap. Few drops and your good. So I walk into the conversation and say thats a waste of money. Cycle is best, and given my dad has spent thousands every few months at this shop - i thought the least he could do was give us a few pieces of media. He told us he can't open the sump or whatever.

The guy gets a little annoyed tells me you can put a shark in a tank with instant ocean pre-mix. I told him sure, but in a week that shark would be dead from ammonia. Then he starts catching on I know a few things. He starts walking away.

My dad feels embarressed. Blablaba. Tries to save some face I guess ( we are chinese) Somehow the guys sells him two sting rays even tho I am protesting. I make a scene for sure, but try to stay kinda calm given the shop is filled with people. I told the guy sting rays fresh water or salt water are for expert only. Hard to get them to eat sometimes. He seems surprised I knew that. I guess he lives of newbies. The guy bags them anyways.

We walk out, I give my father crap. I know those rays will be dead in a week. So I took it off him right there and brought them home. Drained one of my fresh water tanks and got them in there. Not ideal. Tank is not big enough for them long term. I am using purigen to keep the tank clean/frequent water changes until I can cycle more salt water media, which I am doing on another empty tank now. I was half thinking of keeping them, but then once you factor I got to buy all new equipment for a larger tank as these guys grow - not worth it right now for me.

I don't think this guy will take it back. I understand he needs to make money, but that is too much. I told my dad not to go back until we have fixed his tank.

Too many people in salt water blowing good money away for nothing. That being said, my dad is old. Doesn't use the internet and ran his own business for many years. Info for him is hard to come by, so he goes to the LFS.

brianyam
03-28-2013, 03:02 PM
I am open to any ideas, trade..etc. If you have any fresh water fish like discus, plecos...id be open to hearing ideas. thx.

BlueWorldAquatic
03-28-2013, 05:39 PM
Honestly, call you LFS that he got them from.

Any reputable store will take them back for store credit if you cannot house them

brianyam
03-28-2013, 05:41 PM
I will see. I have a few guys interested in buying.

Frankly, I don't really want to see that guy right now. My dad's fault, but that LFS is just pure dis honest. I understand they need to pay the bills and the fish business is tough. But it was not like he was accomodating when I told him what I knew, if fact he got annoyed at me.

So whatever.

Worse comes to worse i know the guys at Big Al's near me and get a store credit or something...

paddyob
03-29-2013, 02:30 PM
Bump to help these beautiful little rays out.