PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical HOT filter suggestions

Samw
08-10-2002, 09:17 PM
I bought a Millenium 2000 HOT filter for a 38G. Unfortunately, I am not happy with the filter as the filter media cartrige clogs up in about 1 week at the lowest flow setting and water flows back out from the top of the intake. I've gone through my entire 4-pack of cartriges in about a month.

I really want the convenience of a HOT filter as I don't have space for an external cannister and don't want to take up space for an internal cannister. I am now considering an Aquaclear or Magnum which is very expensive. Is the Magnum worth it? Any others? Where can I get one cheap? J&L doesn't carry either of these.

[ 10 August 2002, 17:18: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Old Guy
08-11-2002, 12:07 AM
I like the aquaclear for the fact that it uses sponges. If you are using it for biological, use two sponges and just rinse one. I don't even turn mine off to service it. Very convienent(sp?).

reefburnaby
08-11-2002, 02:07 AM
Sam,

I hope this is for a fish only tank...not a reef is it ?

Anyway, mechanical filtration...I have both Aquaclear and HOT Magnum. Both Aquaclears are in the garbage can (Mini and a 300). In order to be effective, you need quite a waterfall drop...otherwise there isn't enough water ripple to perform air/CO2 exchange. Nice and noisy. The strainer design isn't so hot....it sucks up debris and fish. We used to buy Aquaclear 500 foam and use that as a guard.

HOT Magnums are pretty good. I like them a lot and still use them in the goldfish tank. No problems with this one. Solid construction. Easy priming. Probably it will last me 10 years. These are about $100 and not everybody carries them (Petcetra comes to mind...and so does King Eds).

Maybe...you can rig something for a Fluval 104/204 with the regular hoses (not the special ribbed hoses). They sell them at J&L and you can probably build a bracket to make them a HOT.

As an alternative, I built my own HOT filter. I use it to clean my tank -- it's basically a recirculating siphon with a filter. It uses a Mag 5, a HD water filter, 30 micro paper filter and PVC piping. You could probably use a Maxijet in place of the Mag if you wanted to save cost, but I had a Mag 5 sitting there.

Say, do you still have the UV unit ? I keep forgetting to make arrangements for the unit.

- Victor.

Samw
08-11-2002, 03:24 AM
Thanks guys for your input.

Victor, remind me again what the problem would be with a mechanical filter in a reef tank supplementing a protein skimmer. Thanks.

Yes, I still have the UV.

reefburnaby
08-11-2002, 03:33 AM
Hi,

The problem (not that its a really big problem) is that the mechanical filter can collect organic particles in the pad. Over the course of a couple of days, small bacteria will begin to break it down. In the end, you'll have a bit of nitrate. Sort of like a nitrate factory.

Ideally, you want your live rock or sand to do this work. With a DSB, you don't actually see nitrates because it gets processed directly to Nitrogen gas in lower layers of the DSB.

UV : Yah...so if you ever make a trip to J&L or Big Al's (anywhere around Lougheed Mall), just send me a message. I'll buy the unit from you.

- Victor.

[ 10 August 2002, 23:35: Message edited by: reefburnaby ]

Samw
08-11-2002, 03:46 AM
Why is this ok in a fish only tank? Is Nitrate more harmful to coral?

OK, I'll let you know next time I'm in that area to arrange the UV transaction.

[ 10 August 2002, 23:49: Message edited by: Sam W ]

reefburnaby
08-18-2002, 02:42 AM
Hi,

Sorry for the delay.

In a fish only tank, there usually isn't any live rock. Just like a fresh water tank, the tank is allowed to cycle to form a filtration system in the sand bed (if there is one), filter system, glass walls and etc. Hence, the mechanical filtration is a vital part of the system. On the other hand, our reefs contain live rock. Live rock is the actual filter and it is meant to replace the other forms of filtration used in fresh water and fish only.

Now that I have thought about your question a little more, it is possible to use mechanical filtration with your tank. However, you need to rinse/clean the filter every couple of days so that it never becomes a nitrate factory. You'll need to clean it with freshwater.

- Victor.