PDA

View Full Version : Regal v. Clown Tang

JTrigger
05-29-2004, 02:50 AM
I was having a debate with my friend this week about which tang one would prefer... he preferring a clown and myself a regal tang. Putting the issue of adequate size tank aside.. this was more of a debate based on the personality of each fish... just curious what the rest of you thought.

I preferred the regal (presuming you could get one that wasn't ultra shy) simply because it's very calm, majestic looking, nice coloration, ... of course it's susceptible to ich. I've only seen one clown tang (in a home aquarium) and it was very hyper, ... nice sleek shape with interesting striped coloration... seemed to graze a good bit, but very hyper... I think I'd rather have a more calm fish to watch. :biggrin: I also realize that the success rate of keeping clown tangs in a home aquarium is supposedly pretty minimal...

EmilyB
05-29-2004, 04:03 AM
The clown is another typically agressive acanthurus, being extremely dominant, and a big swimmer. Never had a regal.

DOO-E
05-29-2004, 01:25 PM
Never had a regal. Beautiful fish though i am getting one for my 90 gallon when i get it. Love almost everything about them. The only thing i dont like it that they start to turn yellow. Other than that i feel it is a way better fish than a clown tang.

AJ_77
05-29-2004, 03:39 PM
This month's TOTM at RC has a reference to their resident Clown Tang. Even in that size tank, it appears to be a handful. I think it might be a holy terror in yours.
:smile:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/totm/index.htm