PDA

View Full Version : Advice on transferring two smaller tanks into one

dolphinpoint
03-27-2013, 05:16 AM
I would appreciate your advice to make the transfer as smooth as possible. :)
I have two 34 gallon tanks which are well established with livestock and corals. I would like to consolidate them into one 66 gallon tank.
I have the new tank ready to go. I will buy new arragonite sand (caribsea) and have mixed new water and will fill the new tank and let sit for a week.
I would then like to transfer my live rock and corals? Will I still get a cycle (because of the new sand base) or can I transfer my fish as well. I will ensure the temp and salinity is identical.

lpsreefer
03-27-2013, 05:31 AM
The only thing the new sand with do is make ur water cloudy for a while. As long as you seed the new sand with ur old sand.
And use ur old water. You won't have any cycle.
Here how I would do it.
Put the new sand into the new tank.
Do a regular water change on ur two smaller systems.
The water you take out put into ur new system. I would do 50%.
Then add all your rock/ coral and fish over.
Since it not a new setup.
Ur using two smaller one into one big one I would even worry all that much.
New sand is good! Just a cup of sand from ur other system to seed and ur golden.

FragIt Dan
03-27-2013, 05:39 AM
The only thing the new sand with do is make ur water cloudy for a while. As long as you seed the new sand with ur old sand.
And use ur old water. You won't have any cycle.
Here how I would do it.
Put the new sand into the new tank.
Do a regular water change on ur two smaller systems.
The water you take out put into ur new system. I would do 50%.
Then add all your rock/ coral and fish over.
Since it not a new setup.
Ur using two smaller one into one big one I would even worry all that much.
New sand is good! Just a cup of sand from ur other system to seed and ur golden.

+1. I have done this exact process with the exception of the sand, which is one step better then what I did (reuse but thoroughly clean old sand). Only thing I would suggest to be careful if is not leaving the new tank with all new water for a while. You might have it cycle on you and if you transition stuff over mid cycle it could get bad.

Dan

dolphinpoint
03-27-2013, 05:48 AM
Thanks for the advice. I didn't want to use much of the old sand as I read that it can do more harm than good even if you clean it....but a cup of the old sand into the new sand should not be a problem. How long should I let the seeded new tank sit before moving the 2 tanks in along with 50 percent of the water?
Much appreciated!

FragIt Dan
03-27-2013, 03:32 PM
I would either do it immediately or at any point Ammonia and Nitrite read zero ppm. If you can run some mechanical filtration to get as much of the cloudiness out of the tank it will also help, but you will be clouding the tank anyway when you move the rock over. Personally, I would move the fish into a bucket while you move the rock work over to keep the stress down but maybe drop an airstone into the bucket to aerate it.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't want to use much of the old sand as I read that it can do more harm than good even if you clean it....but a cup of the old sand into the new sand should not be a problem. How long should I let the seeded new tank sit before moving the 2 tanks in along with 50 percent of the water?
Much appreciated!

Madreefer
03-27-2013, 04:03 PM
I was going to post "use the search button" but it doesnt seem to work. Theres so many people that stress over a tank transfer or an upgrade. And even more people that make a bigger deal of it and make it sound like a big ordeal. I'd save about 5-6 cups of your old sand and just spend alot of time rinsing your old sand and the new sand. Just rinse small amounts at a time. It takes alot of time but it's easy. Use all of your water that you have now. Do a water change a few days after the new tank is setup. Just do your tank transfer as quick as possible. I have done this several times with no losses at all. Good luck.

dolphinpoint
03-27-2013, 10:59 PM
Thanks to all for the advice. I am much more confident doing the transfer after having heard from all of you.

Myka
03-28-2013, 01:53 AM
I would try to use about 50% water from the old tanks. Move that water over to the new tank. Then use the rest of the old water to fill a Rubbermaid tub. Remove rock from both tanks and put into tub along with corals. Catch fish and put them in a bucket with old water. Give each rock a swish in the tub, then move to new tank, then add corals. Top up so tank is full, let run for an hour or so. Add fish. Leave lights off for at least 12-24 hours, then run only the blues/actinic if you notice any fish are stressed. Corals will be fine in low light for about a week if needed.

I also like the SeaChem Ammonia Alert badges that can be found most everywhere. Look in box stores if you can't find them at your LFS. They run $8-16 depending where you buy them. I don't find them overly accurate as far as the corresponding numbers go, but I do find that they work well as an alert. If you see ANY color change you need to use an ammonia detoxifier. I like Amquel. Use dosing instructions as a place to start, keep adding more if needed to keep the alert at "0". These alerts work great for tank transfers and quarantine tanks. They last a year. I write the date on them with a Jiffy when I open a new one.

dolphinpoint
03-28-2013, 02:49 AM
Thanks...very helpful advice and much appreciated.