PDA

View Full Version : First dead fish since October of last year :(

mrhasan
03-26-2013, 05:59 AM
So my banggai cardinal died which have been living in my tank since last October ; the month when I finished adding fishes to my tank. With no apparent reason that I am aware of, she died today :( The only fish that died few weeks ago was my firefish which jumped out unnoticed while I was adding some more live rock to the tank.

Other fishes and corals are all looking normal. Fishes eating and no sign of stress. Corals have their polyps extended too. I checked for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and things are all in check.

I was just wondering whether I should be worried about something or it was just a misfortune.

wmcinnes
03-26-2013, 12:24 PM
Salty fish are the most frustrating thing in the world. I'd consider yourself lucky as some have way worse luck than you.. myself included.

mrhasan
03-26-2013, 01:35 PM
Salty fish are the most frustrating thing in the world. I'd consider yourself lucky as some have way worse luck than you.. myself included.

Yah. But its really scary when a fish die all of a sudden and the reason stays unknown :(

George
03-26-2013, 04:08 PM
Sometime fish has internal damage or parasites that are not visible to us. Not sure if your banggai was wild caught or tank bred. If it's wild caught, then there is only one source of them which is Indonesia and that place is notoriously for using cyanide to catch marine fish. Cyanide damage fish can take months to die. Again not saying that is the problem but one of the possibilities.

mrhasan
03-26-2013, 04:59 PM
Sometime fish has internal damage or parasites that are not visible to us. Not sure if your banggai was wild caught or tank bred. If it's wild caught, then there is only one source of them which is Indonesia and that place is notoriously for using cyanide to catch marine fish. Cyanide damage fish can take months to die. Again not saying that is the problem but one of the possibilities.

Yap the banggai was wild one. If it does take months for cyanide damage to kill, I guess that could be a possibility.

kien
03-26-2013, 05:21 PM
Yah. But its really scary when a fish die all of a sudden and the reason stays unknown :(

Welcome to marine aquaria. This pretty much applies to anything and everything that you put in your tank. Fish, Corals, inverts, they can be healthy for months or a year and then just pack it in and call it quits for no apparent reason whatsoever.

Maybe your fish was just old! Since it was from the wild you have no idea how old she was. She could have been quite advanced in her age already by the time she got into your tank.

p.s. sorry for the loss.

mrhasan
03-26-2013, 05:48 PM
Welcome to marine aquaria. This pretty much applies to anything and everything that you put in your tank. Fish, Corals, inverts, they can be healthy for months or a year and then just pack it in and call it quits for no apparent reason whatsoever.

Maybe your fish was just old! Since it was from the wild you have no idea how old she was. She could have been quite advanced in her age already by the time she got into your tank.

p.s. sorry for the loss.

Thanks Kien. The posts have let my fear of some outbreaks have gone. I guess its just part of natural process.

Dearth
03-26-2013, 09:48 PM
I had a green chromis commit a double suicide first one by jumping out of the tank second one was after it jumped 2 of my cats made sure it was not going back into the tank.....:lol:

mrhasan
03-26-2013, 09:52 PM
I had a green chromis commit a double suicide first one by jumping out of the tank second one was after it jumped 2 of my cats made sure it was not going back into the tank.....:lol:

Oh boy! So cats are not reef-safe :razz:

Dearth
03-27-2013, 04:32 AM
Oh boy! So cats are not reef-safe :razz:

They are fish version of nightmares

gregzz4
03-27-2013, 04:40 AM
There's also an inherent disease in bangaiis that may have caused it

http://vdi.sagepub.com/content/21/3/306.full

mrhasan
03-27-2013, 04:42 AM
There's also an inherent disease in bangaiis that may have caused it

http://vdi.sagepub.com/content/21/3/306.full

Summary please...don't feel like going through a scientific paper...have to do it enough for the degree :razz:

gregzz4
03-27-2013, 04:43 AM
Summary please...don't feel like going through a scientific paper...have to do it enough for the degree :razz:
Sorry, I haven't read through it all yet
I'm also studying and just off for dinner and bed :wink: