PDA

View Full Version : Where's a good spot to get 12vdc-120vac relays? (Calgary)

Delphinus
03-26-2013, 02:51 AM
Where's a good spot in Calgary to look for switch relays? My Tunze topup pump failed, second one in a row so looking to try a relay switch to use a powerhead instead.

11purewater
03-26-2013, 02:52 AM
James electric

Jeff000
03-26-2013, 03:35 AM
How long are they lasting. Tunze has a great warranty. Although it's odd that they would fail like that.

But any electrical wholesaler in town will have what you are looking for.

Delphinus
03-26-2013, 03:49 AM
Thanks, I'll check out James Electric. I had hoped maybe Active Components but their website shows order times of 1-2 weeks for pretty much everything listed.

The pump lasted 6 weeks. It runs, but just doesn't push water. I don't know if this is typical but the original did the same thing (but after almost 2 years of use so that's not too bad). Even if Tunze were to warrantee something though, I need something in place before the weekend. So I was hoping a relay would just do the trick in the meantime.

banditpowdercoat
03-26-2013, 04:16 AM
If ya want a really good relay, but there larger, but the bases can be screwed down, Go to electrical wholsaler like Eecoll or Westburne and get a Omron Relay
like this, 12v coil voltage, but good to 10A @ 120v 2 NO 2 NC contacts too

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OMRON-MK2P-I-DC-12V-Relay-8-Pin-10A-250VAC-PF083A-Socket-Base-/130742691005

PS Gotten years outa usin my Maxi-Jet as a ATO pump :D

Delphinus
03-26-2013, 04:22 AM
Thank Bandit. Sounds promising for sure.

Yeah, I'm surprised that Tunze doesn't make it a little easier. I actually tried to order the Tunze relay on J&L's Boxing Week sale but they sent it with a European plug. I thought about modding it because I figure a relay is a relay but I opted for a return and swapped it for another DC pump.

The DC pumps are fine (when they work) but totally unserviceable. Not sure what is up with it, but there is literally no way to see what's going on inside to figure out why it isn't pushing water with any gusto.

banditpowdercoat
03-26-2013, 04:25 AM
If ya were closer Tony, I would bring a couple home form work HAHA But not home for another 8 days then mail.. etc etc

Delphinus
03-26-2013, 04:29 AM
Ya no worries, thanks though!

Jeff000
03-26-2013, 05:47 AM
If ya want a really good relay, but there larger, but the bases can be screwed down, Go to electrical wholsaler like Eecoll or Westburne and get a Omron Relay
like this, 12v coil voltage, but good to 10A @ 120v 2 NO 2 NC contacts too

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OMRON-MK2P-I-DC-12V-Relay-8-Pin-10A-250VAC-PF083A-Socket-Base-/130742691005

PS Gotten years outa usin my Maxi-Jet as a ATO pump :D

Those relays are great. Although you can get smaller ones too. It'll be cheaper to order from Ebay, those relays with the base will run about 40 bucks at Eecol.

If you have a used electrical parts place in town you'll get one for about 15. I personally like the ones with the push to test ability.

If you were closer I have a few extra 12v cube relays kicking around here too. Have a few 24v coils on my desk right now actually. lol.

If you bought the pump from a local retailer I would get them to just exchange it, I know marine aquaria here would do that for someone that bought it there.

Delphinus
03-26-2013, 03:02 PM
Unfortunately no it came from J&L so it's not a local trip. I've been emailing them about this but strangely they haven't offered to exchange it so maybe 6 weeks of use is past the warrantee-able period. It's not like these pumps are expensive, $25ish, ... it's just that I find it a bit annoying if I have to stockpile them and treat them as disposable if they are prone to doing this. Maybe it's something to do with the way I have it setup (too much backpressure from a 3/8" line of tubing about 8' long? Seems implausible but who knows).

I'm going to switch it to a gravity feed direct from the reservoir using a solenoid valve, that will simplify things but given that I can't get a solenoid valve before the weekend, I'm hoping I can just pick up a relay sometime today and use a powerhead instead. I have a drawer full of powerheads that all work fine and have no purpose otherwise so it makes sense just to use one of those. I feel like that line in that Alanis song, I have 10,000 spoons but what I really need is a knife. :lol:

mike31154
03-26-2013, 03:15 PM
As an interim measure, would your gravity feed work through a mechanical float valve? If you can do gravity, then why bother with electrics at all. I don't have a sump & impractical to raise display top off container above the tank for gravity, so I use an air pump on a timer to pressurize a wine carboy full of water. The air pressure pushes water through a mechanical float valve (Wait brand for furnace humidifiers) into the display. This has worked very well for 4-5 years now.

As far as relays, you might be able to get one at an Auto parts store or Canadian Tire. Many 12 VDC relays for the automotive or marine industry are rated to 120 volts. You do need to check the specs though, they're not all compatible. Voltage & current info is usually on the relay & packaging but you might need to use a 12 volt power supply to run the coil of the relay. Chances are you'll have a few of those around the house. Speaking of which, if you have any old, defunct appliances kicking around, chances are there's a relay or two in one of them you can scavenge.

lastlight
03-26-2013, 03:18 PM
Those pumps really don't do well running dry for any periods of time. Does this happen often to yours?

Delphinus
03-26-2013, 04:55 PM
The Wait float valves are great, I've used them for topup for close to 15 years now on other tanks and there hasn't been any failure with them other than blocked lines or human error. KISS principle is better sometmes!

But on this tank, the topup enters the tank by being injected into the skimmer air intake. This has the added value that I don't ever need to clean the venturi. Two years in on this skimmer and every time I inspect the venturi it's sparkly clean. Every other skimmer I've had to do vinegar baths on the venturi's every couple of months so I know this is working.

I have a 12vdc solenoid valve coming from an ebay vendor but I have doubts it will get to me in time before I have to go away for a few days this weekend. Thus the need for something in the interim.

Tough call though. If it's $40 for a relay, I'd be further ahead to just find a LFS in town with the Tunze pumps in stock and pay $25 instead. :neutral:

I was sort of hoping a relay would be more like $5. :lol: Oh well. Shows you what I know..

Delphinus
03-26-2013, 04:57 PM
Those pumps really don't do well running dry for any periods of time. Does this happen often to yours?

It happened once on the new pump. That's probably what did it in then.

I like the idea of a valve better than a pump. Easy enough path forward just not in time for the weekend.

lastlight
03-26-2013, 04:59 PM
i'd just grab a tunze pump for the peace of mind. that or find a human top off for the weekend. i'm away this weekend as well fyi lol. i'm actually getting both tanks ATOs working tonight myself.

Delphinus
03-26-2013, 05:04 PM
Well .. yeah, if it's $40 for a relay ...... yeah, this idea is dead for now. Le sigh. Hopefully I can find me a Tunze pump at lunchtime... Of course Murphy's Law says that what's going to happen is the only store that will have one on the shelf will be the one who sells it for $80. Win!

lastlight
03-26-2013, 10:15 PM
I had hoped maybe Active Components but their website shows order times of 1-2 weeks for pretty much everything listed.

I once ordered a transformer from Active over the phone and the guy on the phone asked me like 3 times if I was sure I wanted it shipped to me. I didn't understand why until I was driving around up north that weekend and my wife is like... isn't that the place you just ordered from!? they're right in town!