PDA

View Full Version : TDS rising?

HarleyC
03-25-2013, 07:47 PM
Hi,
I run my water through a Aquarium Pharmaceuticals filter - http://www.marinedepot.com/Aquarium_Pharmaceuticals_Tap_Water_Filter_Deioniza tion_Only_Tap_Water_Filter_Systems-Aquarium_Pharmaceuticals_API_MARS_Fishcare-AP4111-FIRODI-vi.html

I'm in Vancouver, so even before it goes in, the TDS reads no more than 10.
After the filter, I get 0 as you would expect.
However, if I then check it a couple days later in my top up bin, it reads 10. Why would this be?
I don't think it's the bin, as I can check it in the bin when it is filled and it reads 0.
Thanks

HarleyC
03-26-2013, 12:20 AM
anyone?

Nano
03-26-2013, 12:56 AM
How old are the cartridges? Could be time to replace them. Or could be high dissolved solids in the water from spring run off.

11purewater
03-26-2013, 01:11 AM
You may be leaching something fom your bin?

dperrin
03-26-2013, 01:12 AM
I know for my inline tds meter it stated in the instructions that you only get accurate results if the water is flowing past the meter.

HarleyC
03-26-2013, 03:35 AM
Thanks.
The cartridge is fairly new and it reads zero straight out bin initially.
I tend to think the bin leaching may be the culprit too, as when I did my first TDS reading in there it was showing over 50ppm.
I gave a good rinse and it shows zero initially, but then after a day or two it shows 10.
May try different bin.
My meter is a hand held one you dip in water - If someone is in the market for one, I got it free with my household Zero water filter - Like a Brita only better.

LeanneP
03-26-2013, 07:29 PM
Thanks.
The cartridge is fairly new and it reads zero straight out bin initially.
I tend to think the bin leaching may be the culprit too, as when I did my first TDS reading in there it was showing over 50ppm.
I gave a good rinse and it shows zero initially, but then after a day or two it shows 10.
May try different bin.
My meter is a hand held one you dip in water - If someone is in the market for one, I got it free with my household Zero water filter - Like a Brita only better.

I was having this issue too. Look on the bottem of the container and look for the triangle. If it is a 1 or 2 inside the triangle, it is food safe. Anything higher is not and the plastic may be contaminating the water. This goes for all packaged foods too. Many foods are not put into food safe plastic to save on costs. I have 2 five gallon salt pails that are food safe and the rest are all 5 and above all from Intant Ocean. Guess they want to cut costs too. I now store my top off water in a 10 gallon aquarium so I don't have to worry about it.

greyreef
03-31-2013, 07:19 PM
Leanne, dont know where you are getting your info...
I believe what you are saying is incorrect
Read :
http://www.twincities.com/ci_9454447e
Looks like 5 is ok, 1 and 2 are as well, 4 is as well but is disposable
Anyone else know anything about this?

Duker
03-31-2013, 07:46 PM
TDS could be collecting on the insides of your bin as well, maybe just rinse then DRY it out once a month or so, you will be shocked what you see on the cloth you use to dry it out...brown gunk!

HarleyC
03-31-2013, 08:57 PM
thanks grey reef, useful info.
I will try cleaning bin first.
tks

Duker
03-31-2013, 11:09 PM
thanks grey reef, useful info.
I will try cleaning bin first.
tks

I really think you will see an improvment with this, at least before you take drastic measures and start replacing stuff. A cheap easy soultion hopefully. I know it helped my TDS. I always clean it and DRY it out (about once a month)then double check my TDS reading, then if still high then change out the membrane when required.