PDA

View Full Version : Id please, corals and light fixture

batmanrob
03-24-2013, 07:04 PM
I bought a complete setup. Not sure on some of the coral. Please also if you see some bad stuff let me know. I also have this extra metal halide light with blue lights on each side. What kind of fixture is this and how much is it worth?
I am interested in what the yellow pollen looking stuff is and also the green pancake thingy is.
Also note this tank was moved yesterday.

ChefFish
03-24-2013, 07:28 PM
I'm far from an expert but this is what I see. You have mushrooms, pulsing xenia, candy canes, some palys. The light is a double metal halide HQI with T5's or possibly compact florescent. What its worth depends on what brand it is and what wattage the MH's are. They are probably 150 or 250 watts. The ballasts that should be with it probably has a sticker on it with all that information. I also see a Hagen master test kit in the background. Personally I would choose a better brand for testing as they aren't overly accurate IMO. API offers a pretty cheap test kit that is more accurate.

Phil
03-24-2013, 07:32 PM
Lights a Corellife probally 2x 150 hqi and 2 comapacts

Corals I'd say last pics a ric and mushrooms.

Dearth
03-24-2013, 07:33 PM
you have pulsing Xenia and mushrooms not sure on the others....

Starry
03-24-2013, 07:36 PM
yellow pollen stuff is sponge, pancake thingy is ricordia yuma.

Tn23
03-24-2013, 07:43 PM
Its a coralife fixture, I have the same one. I am looking for an extra ballast if anyone knows where to locate one haha

Madreefer
03-24-2013, 08:03 PM
I've gone thru 3 Coralife Fixtures. The wires do not come out the side they come from the back, there does'nt look like theres any lunar light which usually come with all of them. The lens for the PC's usually go end to end. Theres no fans on the top. So I guess I dont have to say I disagree on what brand it is.

batmanrob
03-24-2013, 08:05 PM
I had cleaned off alot of the rock, as there was pulsing Xenia everywhere!!! Then I started finding all the candy cane coral in the bottom of the tank.
What kind of fish is in the attached pic?

Madreefer
03-24-2013, 08:08 PM
Bangai Cardinal

batmanrob
03-24-2013, 08:14 PM
I've gone thru 3 Coralife Fixtures. The wires do not come out the side they come from the back, there does'nt look like theres any lunar light which usually come with all of them. The lens for the PC's usually go end to end. Theres no fans on the top. So I guess I dont have to say I disagree on what brand it is.

I can't find a tag on it. It has two fans out of the side opposite of the cords. It uses 30w blue t3's. The metal halides I am not sure. I tried to pull it apart, but it must be sticking with the salt buildup on it. I left it alone and will try to loosen it with vinegar or something. Don't want to break it.

Madreefer
03-24-2013, 08:20 PM
It does'nt say on the ballasts? And do you mean T5's? Coralife only uses PC's for the supplemental lighting. Most people will say it's good if it's not a Coralife. I never had a problem when I ran them but most people say Coralife is junk.

batmanrob
03-24-2013, 08:26 PM
It does'nt say on the ballasts? And do you mean T5's? Coralife only uses PC's for the supplemental lighting. Most people will say it's good if it's not a Coralife. I never had a problem when I ran them but most people say Coralife is junk.

sorry t8. I cant get to the ballast yet to see. Strange it has no Id on the outside.