PDA

View Full Version : HElp!!!

1bigstud
05-28-2004, 04:02 AM
My tank is starting to get alot of hair algae. Does anyone know how to get rid of this??? I've tried trimming but its to much and disturbs the tank way to much. Is there anything out there that would eat hair algae but not disturb my corals and fish??

Jack
05-28-2004, 04:05 AM
Lettuce nudibranchs work great. I think J&L has a few in right now.

You still have to fix what's causing your hair algae but one of those really helps while you try and get things back in order...

1bigstud
05-28-2004, 07:07 AM
Thanks for the advice. I think the problem started because my water purifier needed a new filter.

medican
05-30-2004, 09:44 PM
Tangs love the stuff...... :lol:

Richard

Gools
05-30-2004, 11:21 PM
you should probably be prepaired for a long battle. Not to scare you but it's not usually going to go away just by adding a tang, or a clean up crew. Although they will help. Like Jake said you have to find the root of the problem. You have to watch your feeding, water quality. and like you said your RO not working can deffinetly contribute. Good skimming, will also go a long way in the fight.

DOO-E
05-31-2004, 12:27 AM
LOwer the lighting to 3 watts per gallon anenomes will still thrive that this lighting but hari algea dies off

marie
05-31-2004, 12:32 AM
Hair algae will grow with only 30w of light over a 20g tank. I know from personal experience. :biggrin:

christyf5
05-31-2004, 12:53 AM
Heck I think hair algae grows even when the lights are off :confused: :wink: That stuff is ridiculously hard to get rid of. I found that with manual harvesting and good RODI water I was able to escape the hell of hair algae (of course it was just replaced with another type of algae :razz:).

Christy :)

1bigstud
05-31-2004, 01:01 AM
Guys and gals thanks alot for all youre help. Youre right my regal tang is always eating the stuff but the porker can only eat so much. I've added a uv sterlizer which I will run 2 days on and 4 off as well as manual harvesting a new ro unit and a lettuce nubache hopefuly this will help or atleast get rid of most of it. Thanks again for all the advice.