PDA

View Full Version : Clown sick

HarleyC
03-22-2013, 11:30 PM
Small clown is looking sick - has some white on him, but I don't think it's ICH, looks more like dusting from sand. Fins are looking frayed and he is swimming up against the back corner. He wouldn't eat too
The rest of fish and inverts all look okay.
I purchased the established reef tank and we set it up here 3 weeks ago.
He looked okay until yesterday, when I did a 25% water change because of high Nitrates - coincidence?
Should I remove him in case he infects anyone else, or see if he recovers?
Thanks,

HarleyC
03-22-2013, 11:46 PM
Now I see one of the other clowns has a white stingy piece under him - parasite?
Suggestions please?

HarleyC
03-23-2013, 12:21 AM
I've had to take him out DT. he was at bottom nearly sea and the others were starting to pull him around.
He has lost most his colour and on last legs (okay fins).
He is in bucket, but don't look good. Should I put pump in bucket with heater and get some treatment - if so what?
or, just let him go peacefully.
Still 1/2" long white stuff attached to one of the other clowns, but he looks healthy.
Any advice appreciated?
Tks

HarleyC
03-23-2013, 01:24 AM
This huge bank of knowledge and no replies eh.
Well he is gone now - I hope you can all sleep with a clear conscience.

I just hope he is the only one I lose :(

mattr
03-23-2013, 01:57 AM
sorry for your loss, and im surprised no one knew what to do.
I'm new to this I would have helped if I could.

HarleyC
03-23-2013, 02:11 AM
Thanks.
My clear conscience line wasn't being serious - Hope people realize this.

Madreefer
03-23-2013, 02:27 AM
Sorry for your loss.
Next time (lets hope theres not a next time) maybe post a pic.
People must not have seen your post as they would have responded.

gregzz4
03-23-2013, 02:42 AM
The stringy stuff ... is it coming from the anus ? If so, this means internal parasites and they need treated food, or Maracyn-Two in the water. BUT, don't do this in the DT :surprise: Get a QT tank running

The powdery-looking stuff ... could be brook
Look up brooklynella on the web and compare pics. This stuff kills clowns and you should do some research on how to cure it, and fast as it's a quick killer

freeze
03-23-2013, 03:54 AM
Wish I had seen this sooner. I lost 4 clowns to this. Same issue. Saw it and one dropped and they just kept going. 4 clowns in 3 says. Started passing toy flame angel as well. It was an 80 gallon with 100 lbs of live rock that had been sitting and just doing its thing for 4 months. All looked done for the first week then it started happening. Now I am not an expert but went to one of the lfs with a lot of knowledge. Gave me some "Artemiss" and it saved my flame. I know have a qt tank but the tank was empty before I started so. I was checking levels and all were super low or non-existence. Not sure if its the same but it sure sounds like it. I might still have pics.

HarleyC
03-23-2013, 04:58 AM
Thanks.
The guy that died went downhill rapidly - from not eating, to staying in corner, to losing all his colour and dying in about 90 mins.
Stringy stuff on one that's still alive looked from Anus. It has gone now and he appears to be swimming good, but I threw some food in and he hung back - not his usual self.
Will keep close eye and drop in J&L and see what I can put in that might be reef safe.
Should look at QT set up too I guess.
What, do I need as a basic QT - was thinking 10G tank, with a bit of live rock, hang on filter, pump and heater, sound okay?
Have a fair few dollars of fish and coral here, so want to be on top of this.
Thanks

freeze
03-23-2013, 05:13 AM
My inlaws had a 20 gallon that held water so I have a hang on with some live rock, little sand and heater. Nothing major, but will keep my big tank safe.

gregzz4
03-23-2013, 05:29 AM
Thanks.
The guy that died went downhill rapidly - from not eating, to staying in corner, to losing all his colour and dying in about 90 mins.
Stringy stuff on one that's still alive looked from Anus. It has gone now and he appears to be swimming good, but I threw some food in and he hung back - not his usual self.
Will keep close eye and drop in J&L and see what I can put in that might be reef safe.
What, do I need as a basic QT - was thinking 10G tank, with a bit of live rock, hang on filter, pump and heater, sound okay?
Thanks
Setting up a QT quickly can be tricky as you have to keep the toxic stuff to a minimum

Look here (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=95818&highlight=quarantine) for my setup and thoughts/tips

If you're going to use live rock, you'll have to turkey baste it lots to keep it free of detritus, but it will help with cycling and filtering
You're GOING to go through a cycle with a QT. Period. :smile:
Get a suitable HOB filter and heater, small or no light, black out three sides ( I currently use a garbage bag :surprise: ), use darker colored hiding places such as clay pots broken in half to create a 'dome' shaped hole, and if you're up to keeping the bottom clean enough, some darker small freshwater gravel will help cut down on light reflection/brightness

I have my QT barebottom, and I use a plastic take-out tray with some sand in it for fish that need a sand bed - wrasses, blennies etc

daniella3d
03-23-2013, 05:44 AM
Your fish probably had brooklynella or marine velvet and yes the others will probably follow and get sick too so be prepaired. For treatment, it is hard to tell without a photo and the treatment is very different if it is velvet or brook, so idendification is important before treating with anything.

This huge bank of knowledge and no replies eh.
Well he is gone now - I hope you can all sleep with a clear conscience.

I just hope he is the only one I lose :(

daniella3d
03-23-2013, 05:45 AM
At 2 hours from death, there is nothing to do, sorry, it is way to late.

sorry for your loss, and im surprised no one knew what to do.
I'm new to this I would have helped if I could.

HarleyC
03-23-2013, 03:50 PM
Thanks.
Will keep close eye on things and look for QT - You often see on craigslist cheap, small, set ups.
At the end he went from being a very defined black and white clown, to very faint colours and his fins were very raggedy looking. The others appear okay this morning.

The Guy
03-23-2013, 04:04 PM
Thanks.
Thanks
Sorry you lost your little clown, for sure you should have a QT tank with a hob & heater and bare bottom. I would not put any live rock in there as some meds will affect the rock, 10 g will work fine, good luck.

HarleyC
03-23-2013, 04:04 PM
Looked and it could have been brooklynella, not 100% sure though.
Lot of work to setting up QT.
Should I look at adding some Prazipro to the DT, as a precaution?