PDA

View Full Version : Too many???

mikepclo
03-22-2013, 10:38 PM
I have a problem and I can't stop....well just one more wrasse and that's it.:mrgreen: I have a 120g SPS dominant tank with 35g sump running biopellets. I just recently reduced my fish load already and this is what I have now. Just curious what you guys think of my bioload.

Green chromis x7
Lawnmower Blenny
Coral beauty (Need to catch this bully)
Blue tang (2")
Yellow tang (3.5")
Purple tang (3.5")
Bangaii
Flame male wrasse (4")
Flame female wrasse (2")
Labouti wrasse (2.75")
Exquisite wrasse (2.5")
Lineatus supermale (5")
Rhomboid male to be :lol:

pinkreef
03-22-2013, 10:42 PM
AS A FELLOW WRASSE LOVER I THINK YOU NEED 3 HALICHOERES CHRYSUS WRASSES TO COMPLETE YOUR BIOLOAD.:lol:

Aquattro
03-22-2013, 10:45 PM
AS A FELLOW WRASSE LOVER I THINK YOU NEED 3 HALICHOERES CHRYSUS WRASSES TO COMPLETE YOUR BIOLOAD.:lol:

Your CAPS lock key is stuck. Again...:neutral:

mikepclo
03-22-2013, 11:05 PM
Shhhh....Thats after the Rhomboid :eyebrows:

mrhasan
03-23-2013, 04:16 AM
I have a problem and I can't stop....well just one more wrasse and that's it.:mrgreen: I have a 120g SPS dominant tank with 35g sump running biopellets. I just recently reduced my fish load already and this is what I have now. Just curious what you guys think of my bioload.

Green chromis x7
Lawnmower Blenny
Blue tang (2")
Yellow tang (3.5")
Purple tang (3.5")
Bangaii
Flame male wrasse (4")
Flame female wrasse (2")
Labouti wrasse (2.75")
Exquisite wrasse (2.5")
Lineatus supermale (5")

I would say that's below average ;) Take my words with not even a grain of salt since I am very bad at stocking fishes :razz:

daniella3d
03-23-2013, 05:50 AM
The only problem I see with a too large bioload is if the skimmer fail, then oxygen goes down and the fish start to die from lack of oxygen. The rule for the number of fish per gallon is not only for the fish comfort, but it is also for the amount of dissolve oxygen so that all fish can have enough. Using a skimmer really change those odds, but remove the skimmer for a few hours or overnight and disaster can strike.

mrhasan
03-23-2013, 06:07 AM
The only problem I see with a too large bioload is if the skimmer fail, then oxygen goes down and the fish start to die from lack of oxygen. The rule for the number of fish per gallon is not only for the fish comfort, but it is also for the amount of dissolve oxygen so that all fish can have enough. Using a skimmer really change those odds, but remove the skimmer for a few hours or overnight and disaster can strike.

How can this 75 gallon tank run with 15 fishes without skimmer? :)

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2006/2/aquarium

daniella3d
03-23-2013, 03:26 PM
I am not saying he will run it without a skimmer but it is when the skimmer is unplugged or during power outage etc...if the skimmer pump fails, then it is when the problem happen.

Usually by having a skimmer which oxygenate the water extra well, that allow us to top the bioload to a maximum that would not be possible without this equipement. When the equipment fails, watch out. Recently I have seen to identical story about the skimmer being unplugged for some reason, or out for some reason and most fish died in both cases where the bioload was to much.

mikepclo
03-25-2013, 06:14 PM
Im glad to hear that. And I thought my bioload was heavy especially with 3 tangs.

I guess it's time to bring up the idea of a fallback skimmer to the wifey :mrgreen:

Be interesting to see other fellow reefers "Heavy bioload" fish stocking here.

reefwars
03-25-2013, 07:24 PM
Here's mine :

75 g cube

Copperband butterfly
Achilles tang
Hawaiian flame wrasse pair
Mated trio of PJ cardinals
Trojan pair of clownfish
Mystery wrasse
blue leopard wrasse
black leopard wrasse
Marble wrasse
Melanarus wrasse
red/blue mandarin
scooterdragonette
Target mandarin

I'm def overstocked lol

Myka
03-25-2013, 08:40 PM
I have a 120g SPS dominant tank with 35g sump[...]

Green chromis x7
Lawnmower Blenny
Blue tang (2")
Yellow tang (3.5")
Purple tang (3.5")
Bangaii
Flame male wrasse (4")
Flame female wrasse (2")
Labouti wrasse (2.75")
Exquisite wrasse (2.5")
Lineatus supermale (5")

I think you are well overstocked, especially after you consider the fish growing for a couple of years.

They are all really small fish.

Here's mine :

75 g cube

Achilles tang
[...]

Shameful. :(

kien
03-25-2013, 09:49 PM
I am not saying he will run it without a skimmer but it is when the skimmer is unplugged or during power outage etc...if the skimmer pump fails, then it is when the problem happen.

Usually by having a skimmer which oxygenate the water extra well, that allow us to top the bioload to a maximum that would not be possible without this equipement. When the equipment fails, watch out. Recently I have seen to identical story about the skimmer being unplugged for some reason, or out for some reason and most fish died in both cases where the bioload was to much.

Actually, this happened to me as well when I rebuilt my sump a couple of years ago. I took the skimmer off-line (obviously) overnight. The next morning I noticed all my fish gasping for air at the surface. OOPS! I corrected the problem by adding an air stone while the tank was skimmer and sumpless. At the time I did have my powerheads agitating the water surface but that just wasn't enough I guess.

Having said that, it is possible to run without a skimmer so long as you are providing adequate oxygenation from other sources such as surface agitation from aggressive powerheads or from water falling into an overflow box. I suspect in the case of the tank that mrhasan linked there is enough oxygen provided from the water agitation resulting from the overflow box. It also depends on the health of your fish. If they are sick or stressed they will tend to breath heavier thus depleting oxygen even quicker. Water temperature also affects your fish's consumption of oxygen.

pinkreef
03-25-2013, 10:11 PM
Your CAPS lock key is stuck. Again...:neutral:
i have trouble seeing lower case on my phone. ps im not yelling:redface:

pinkreef
03-25-2013, 10:16 PM
Heres my list

green chromis
5" regal tang
sailfin tang
carpenter wrasse
halichoeres chrysus x 3
hi fin goby
cave goby
juv percs x 2
bangai cardinal

Bblinks
03-26-2013, 10:36 PM
Thats nothing Mike, you should see my buddy Apex's tank. Now thats overstocked.

SteveConn
03-27-2013, 03:36 AM
Wow, its like me with coral... My new 7ft long tank is already overstocked with coral. Trade you fish for coral.. Only have 5 stinkin fish!!