PDA

View Full Version : Alternative coral dipping

carriej
03-22-2013, 07:27 PM
Hi folks,

I am irritated there is no product on the market that kills everything. Two of the big hitters seem to be red bugs and AEFW.

In the states lots are using bayers insect killer as a dip with great results. I am on a mission to find a dip that would also kill these little heathens. I'm half scared to buy more corals because I don't want to infect my tank!

Is there an alternative for us Canadians? Do not say interceptor... I have been through that song and dance; and no one will give it to me regardless of what proof I bring or show.

Proteus
03-22-2013, 07:31 PM
There was a thread and group order for RPS

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=95684&page=1

carriej
03-22-2013, 10:32 PM
I seen it online available; but it sounds deadly, and some people weren't sure of its effectiveness.

I seen post where people claim it has killed their fish; etc.

Proteus
03-22-2013, 11:03 PM
If you read it it say do NOT add to DT.

Also noted do not use on fish,clams,snails,etc

If you have a problem with flat worms you may want to use zeo's flat worm stop. Though it doesn't kill the pest it helps coral build better protection against them.

carriej
03-22-2013, 11:47 PM
I seen that... I currently don't have any pests; just want to prevent them.

How long would one run them in QT before placing in tank? 12 he's? 24? A week? I usually only run them in QT long enough to inspect them and that's it. It doesn't state how long

Proteus
03-23-2013, 12:24 AM
Move the infected corals to a quarantine tank then dip it in RPS ALL OUT. (DO NOT ADD RPS ALL OUT TO YOUR QT OR MT TANK) While the coral is dipping in ALL OUT take a pipette or turkey baster, and blast the coral with the dip. Make sure to get in between the polyps and the underside of the coral. Do this for approximately 15 minutes. After 15 minutes; You may reuse the dip with multiple corals. RPS ALL OUT dip will change from blue to green when it is no longer working as intended. Thoroughly rinse coral with clean saltwater and return to quarantine tank. Make sure to run carbon in your QT tank to absorb any possible residue. This is especially important when dipping soft corals such as leathers.

carriej
03-23-2013, 01:20 AM
Thank you; but I was more curious of exactly how long it should stay in QT with carbon.

Aquattro
03-23-2013, 01:24 AM
Thank you; but I was more curious of exactly how long it should stay in QT with carbon.

How long what should stay in QT?

carriej
03-23-2013, 01:36 AM
The coral once dipped in RPS

Proteus
03-23-2013, 01:36 AM
I would believe that if the coral is infected than its. Until pest are gone may need to do multiple dips

But if it were new piece bought I would think same as other dips. Just long enough to rinse off the solution

Aquattro
03-23-2013, 01:41 AM
The coral once dipped in RPS

I would dip it and add it to my tank. No QT afterwards.

carriej
03-23-2013, 02:49 AM
It says not to add it directly to the QT tank; and I have read some posts on other forums of fish going blind; dying, etc when ignoring this step.

hillegom
03-23-2013, 02:52 AM
It says not to add it directly to the QT tank; and I have read some posts on other forums of fish going blind; dying, etc when ignoring this step.

Thats right.
It is used only as a dip for corals. Not to be used for a tank with fish.

Aquattro
03-23-2013, 02:53 AM

Right. It's been repeatedly said not to add it to the QT tank. You use it in a dip. In a container. With tank water in it. Then you take frag from bag you brought it home in, dip coral for specified time, and then add it to your tank. There is no QT tank in the equation!

carriej
03-23-2013, 03:04 AM
Nonono... By "it" I meant coral; not RPS... I was writing on my phone so I wasn't being as descriptive as I should have been; I guess.

I meant to say DT, my phone kept autocorrecting to QT - anyway. Others have said (who have added it directly to the DT after dipping) that they lost fish or one person said they had a fish go blind (?) seems like strong stuff.

This is what I mean;

"Thoroughly rinse coral with clean saltwater and return to quarantine tank. Make sure to run carbon in your QT tank to absorb any possible residue. This is especially important when dipping soft corals such as leathers."

Just seems like it wants you to put the coral in a QT for a bit before putting it back into the display.. I was just curious as to how long one should QT a dipped coral that has been deemed pest free after the dip.

Aquattro
03-23-2013, 03:19 AM
Oh. Ok, that makes more sense. If it's that strong, then I might rinse it in tank water for a couple of swooshes in a container. If that's not enough, then I probably wouldn't even use it.
Do you have links to any threads where people are having these experiences?

carriej
03-23-2013, 04:01 AM
Here was one thread:
http://www.tcmas.org/v4/forums/showthread.php?50911-RPS-aLL-OuT-CoRaL-DiPz-Arriving-this-week-A-Must-for-SPS-Tanks&p=552950

Guess I found my answer here, company recommends 2 weeks in QT with carbon for things like leathers
http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/unique-corals/112370-tuesday-may-second-day-week.html

carriej
03-23-2013, 04:09 AM
A lot of discussion here as well.. page 3 mentions some shrimp(s) death
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2269194&page=3

Proteus
03-23-2013, 04:26 AM
I skimmed through and it seems for the most part people dip and put it right into DT.

I am doing a tank transfer in a couple months here and hope its good stuff as I was planning on using it

daniella3d
03-23-2013, 05:52 AM
If you want to kill everything, it's very easy. Javel water should do it. :-)

That's a joke, but I thought that Revive killed flatwork and red bugs too?

Hi folks,

I am irritated there is no product on the market that kills everything.

carriej
03-23-2013, 06:07 PM
Revive just seems to knock RB off... I want them DEAD! LOL

Some of the little A holes get themselves in a crack and you can't get them, then they reinfect. I want something that NUKES those suckers. Interceptor works but you might as well sell save your time trying to get some from a vet for use in fish tanks - plus I want a true dip. Interceptor takes like 6 hours.

Proteus
03-23-2013, 06:51 PM
I guess the best you could do for now would be natural predators to bring population down

carriej
03-23-2013, 09:37 PM
Like I said before; right now there is nothing infected in my DT.. But there was a few months ago; and now I don't want to take any chances.. :)

reefwars
03-23-2013, 10:26 PM
a dragonface pipefish will deal with rb's if you need to go a predator route.