PDA

View Full Version : Surge/Power Bars

Gujustud
05-28-2004, 01:49 AM
So I'm getting ready to start up the sump this weekend if everything goes as planned. In that case, i'm cleaning up the stand. I was going to mount the power bars I have up on the inside, but I had a question regarding the type of powerbars to use? (no funny jokes about any protein bars!).

I've seen a bunch out there, and the ones I have are just the basic of basic surge bars from HD. Is there anything in particular that should be looked at? Amount of Joules, volts UL rating??

Thanks!

Chin_Lee
05-28-2004, 03:34 AM
I would get the power bars for computers where they have a few plugs spaced for the larger boxed adapters. Real pain in the butt when those adapters take up two plug's spaces.

Ken
05-28-2004, 06:04 AM
Coralife came out with recently a powerbar that has 8 outlets and can handle up to 1875 watts. Has 4 timer controlled oulets and 4 constant power oulets. Can be used as a day/night timer or wave maker timer. I haven't got around to using it yet so I can't tell you if it is worth it compare to an ordinary power bar. Regards Ken

Jack
05-28-2004, 07:53 AM
I just use the regular cheapy powerbars.. they work just as good. There are all sorts of fancy types you can get though. The powerbars with largly spaced outlets are great for bulky timers. Sometimes you can only get two timers on a 6 plug powerbar. :rolleyes:

I have been using this one for awhile and would definatly reccomend it, if you are looking for some mixed current:

http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/shopping/jalstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=wm-nwt

Gujustud
06-07-2004, 10:43 PM
Well I picked upa Belkin Surgemaster from HD. It is the workshop series, so I figure it would be good to use. Bring it home, open it up, and what does it say on the back:

"NOT FOR USE WITH AQUARIUMS AND ALL OTHER WATER-RELATED PRODUCTS".

Back to HD I go, arg.

BMW Rider
06-07-2004, 10:46 PM
It will probably be fine as long as it is plugged in to a GFI protected outlet. The warning is probably just to let you be aware that there is potential for a shock if it is not GFI protected.