PDA

View Full Version : Small creature ID please!!!

chi
03-22-2013, 04:06 AM
I found these little dudes swimming around when I paused my powerhead. I had a tiger pistol shrimp in here before it got eaten by my elegance coral. There's also another paler blueish banded pistol shrimp that went missing. Are these shrimps or pods? They look like small shrimps even though the video isn't very clear. They're tiny and I lack a macro lens! Thanks gurus!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IZznqRIWSn0

Duker
03-22-2013, 04:24 AM
Look like pods to me!

ckmullin
03-22-2013, 04:24 AM
Look like pods to me!

mee two

subman
03-22-2013, 04:25 AM
Yep pods

chi
03-22-2013, 04:32 AM
Does these pods feed on plankton? Will my fish go after them? I have a mystery wrasse. Yellow watchmen goby. False percula clown. Potters angel. Thanks!
How can i keep their population up?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE

gregzz4
03-22-2013, 04:33 AM
To me, they look more like larvae than pods
Could be shrimps ...

reeferious
03-22-2013, 04:46 AM
mysis shrimps

kien
03-22-2013, 04:52 AM
They look like shrimp larvae to me as well. Pods generally stay closer to the rocks and don't typically swim in the open water column like that. If they did they'd be eaten quite quickly as I'm sure those larvae in your video will be.

gregzz4
03-22-2013, 04:57 AM
Does these pods feed on plankton? Will my fish go after them? I have a mystery wrasse. Yellow watchmen goby. False percula clown. Potters angel. Thanks!
How can i keep their population up?

Those larvae, if they stay in the water column, are doomed :smile:
No harm ... your fish will appreciate them
And if any of them make it into your live rock and manage to grow, then you may see something down the road

kien
03-22-2013, 05:03 AM
you may see something down the road

I have a pair of fire shrimp, a pair of cleaner shrimp and 4 Pom Pom crabs that all breed on a monthly basis and for the past 4 years. I'm still waiting for that "something down the road". LOL. The larvae do make great coral and fish food tho.

gregzz4
03-22-2013, 05:10 AM
I have a pair of fire shrimp, a pair of cleaner shrimp and 4 Pom Pom crabs that all breed on a monthly basis and for the past 4 years. I'm still waiting for that "something down the road". LOL. The larvae do make great coral and fish food tho.
If SW shrimps are anything like FW ones, I know the chances are 'very' slim of him having more due to habitat/food requirements, but, there is a member on here who bought 2 peps and ended up with a bunch ..... :smile:

daniella3d
03-22-2013, 01:35 PM
Those little shrimp larvaes are very very fragile. They die as soon as they hit any powerhead. They almost need stagnant water to survive and constant feeding with zooplankton. It's nearly impossible to have one survive.

I currently have a mantis shrimp with eggs and it's the same doomed scenario I think, especially that mantis larvaes eat each other.

chi
03-22-2013, 11:57 PM
Ya...they're all gone. My wrasse saw them in the morning and went on a freeding frenzy.

I saw someone build a tank that holds jellyfish and apparently its used to raise the juvies this way too...tempted to build one...

Does anyone know how :)