PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an adapter

Coleus
03-19-2013, 06:02 AM
My lumatek ballast is dead, so i place a special order for vertex ballast (assuming the plug are identical) well it is not and now I can't return it.

So my question is anyone know where i can get an adapter to go from

Sunlight fixture to Computer Power Cord Style?

I copied these images from other sites

From
http://www.greners.com/images_/plug-reflector-balast-commo.jpg

to
http://www.greners.com/images_/powercord-ballast.jpg

I google but can't find anything yet so maybe someone here know?

Thanks

FragIt Dan
03-19-2013, 06:07 AM
Just cut the ends off and get some twist connectors from Home Depot, or even better you could solder and shrink wrap the wires.

Dan

Coleus
03-19-2013, 06:22 AM
Just cut the ends off and get some twist connectors from Home Depot, or even better you could solder and shrink wrap the wires.

Dan

Thanks Dan

Someone also gave me same advice as yours but I don't have lots of confident in doing it lol. I am afraid i will screw it up and burn down my house. Is it possible?

scubadawg
03-19-2013, 08:48 AM
Try a home and garden place, they have converter cables, hydroponics lights

They are baasr and baasp ends

http://www.hydroponics.net/c/342

Or check with your local grow op:)

CM125
03-19-2013, 01:21 PM
Thanks Dan

Someone also gave me same advice as yours but I don't have lots of confident in doing it lol. I am afraid i will screw it up and burn down my house. Is it possible?

Very possible and fairly easy, I could walk you through it if you like, merets will work well if you are not familiar with soldering. Or you may want to ask around and see if someone you know is familiar with soldering. That would be the best.

allie_san
03-19-2013, 02:53 PM
Or use some butt splices and shrink wrap over them, its a lot more tidy looking than marettes. Soldering is a little overboard imo.
As for things catching on fire.. I've seen more than my fair share of factory made cord ends arcing and melting away at work so it doesn't necessarily mean its safe because you bought it :P

CM125
03-19-2013, 03:44 PM
Or use some butt splices and shrink wrap over them, its a lot more tidy looking than marettes. Soldering is a little overboard imo.
As for things catching on fire.. I've seen more than my fair share of factory made cord ends arcing and melting away at work so it doesn't necessarily mean its safe because you bought it :P

butt connectors work as well, but can be prone to rusting, if you use this method make sure you tape over them really well, and be prepared to check them every 6 months or so. Worst case though is it just stops working, very little chance of fire here (when done properly, lol)

FragIt Dan
03-19-2013, 04:32 PM

Soldering might be a bit overboard in many cases, but the solder really helps protect the connection from corrosion if exposed to salt. I don't just solder the connection, I solder right up to the wire shielding to seal in the copper wire. Having said that, I have all combinations of connections (butt connectors, marrettes, solder/shrink wrap) at various points on various tanks for many years and not had a problem with any of them. If the OP is a little more concerned, going overboard might set their mind at ease :). I have two kids under the age of 3 and sleep comfortably at night without concern of fire with all my various connections :).
Dan

sphelps
03-19-2013, 04:51 PM
If you're up for it, bring it by my place and I'll solder it all up for you.

globaldesigns
03-19-2013, 04:52 PM
Give Memory Express a call. They may have the actual ends that you can rewire it with.

www.memoryexpress.com

Coleus
03-20-2013, 02:42 AM
Thanks all for your ideas and help. Lots of options for me to chew on. I will cut the old broken ballast plug and see if they are same wire color then match it up with my new ballast. Cheers

mike31154
03-20-2013, 04:33 AM
Wire colours should be standard regardless of the plug end. Line (black), Neutral (white), Safety/Case/Chassis Ground (green). If that's not the case & you're unsure of the config., diy fix might not be a good idea.