PDA

View Full Version : Magnesium at 1250. Dose or not??

LeanneP
03-18-2013, 10:56 PM
My magnesium has been consistantly at 1250 for awhile which I know is sort of borderline. All my other parameters are good. Should I just leave it alone or get it up a bit higher. Have just a few corals and an anenome that has still not acclimated properly (still has short tentacles) even though I have had it for over 2 months. Thought it might be the flow or lighting or maybe the lower magnesium.

Leanne

Bblinks
03-18-2013, 11:04 PM
I don't think its a big deal as long as its stable and not swinging.

FragIt Dan
03-18-2013, 11:30 PM
I don't think its a big deal as long as its stable and not swinging.
+1 I would say your nem issues have nothing to do with Mg.

mark
03-19-2013, 12:07 AM
I'd leave since at 1250 you're quite close to NSW
(http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php)

LeanneP
03-19-2013, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the tips. Kinda of thought I should leave it alone but just wanted to check.

asylumdown
03-19-2013, 12:26 AM
I've yet to dose mag and my tank's been running almost a year. My rule for dosing is to always test right before a water change, and if the level is low two water changes in a row, to bump up the dose (or start to dose).

You should watch for trends, not snapshots in time.

04V10
03-19-2013, 05:19 PM
I've had to just start dosing recently, however it's a 20gal heavily stocked with a mixed reef and it's been running for just over a year. However, my Mg stayed stable until October of last year when things started to really grow. I don't dose much, but I lose 20ppm over 2 weeks currently if I don't dose anything and just do my weekly 25% water change.

I do keep my Mg up at 1320 though. I found when my Mg dropped to 1280 and I left it, the corals began to slow down in growth. As soon as I bumped it up into the 1300's again, things started moving. Just some food for thought.

LeanneP
03-19-2013, 07:21 PM
I've had to just start dosing recently, however it's a 20gal heavily stocked with a mixed reef and it's been running for just over a year. However, my Mg stayed stable until October of last year when things started to really grow. I don't dose much, but I lose 20ppm over 2 weeks currently if I don't dose anything and just do my weekly 25% water change.

I do keep my Mg up at 1320 though. I found when my Mg dropped to 1280 and I left it, the corals began to slow down in growth. As soon as I bumped it up into the 1300's again, things started moving. Just some food for thought.

Thanks for the info. I will try and bump it up to over 1300 and see if it makes a difference. I have had some growth but I still have screen on top for my nem so my lights aren't on fully but maybe it is also the Mg.