PDA

View Full Version : LiveRock in Canada?

WarDog
03-18-2013, 04:25 AM
I am wondering if anyone knows of an on-line supplier who (1) ships to Canada and (2) supplies anything other than Fiji?

I have been to J&L and am not impressed with the rock they have for $6/lb. Albeit I have not seen a fresh box opened. I know its from Walt Smith in Fiji (whom I would be happy to support) but I'm not too crazy about the colour.

I have looked at several sites on the web (eg: LiveAquaria, LiveRockNReef) and have found several different types of rock with fantastic colour (manado, tonga, vanuatuu) but none of these suppliers ship here... obviously due to law.

Skimmerking
03-18-2013, 04:29 AM
Have u looked at caco caco reef here on canreef. Elias sells eco rock and it's really good u don't have to worry about pests either it's dead rock and cheap.

Goatman
03-18-2013, 04:48 AM
Have u looked at caco caco reef here on canreef. Elias sells eco rock and it's really good u don't have to worry about pests either it's dead rock and cheap.

Given the statements that he made I doubt the eco rock ...stuff... is what he is wanting.

Goatman
03-18-2013, 05:25 AM
Premium Aquatics Ships to Canada, at least they did.

redfishbluefish )I got some nice blue ridge rock back in the day or rather a friend said he got it there for me..., I believe it was them,, but I do know they USED to at least have liverock other than what you'd find at jl) Have not checked for a long long time.

ReefAquatica does as well I believe.

Aquavalley does I believe...

Someone once told me raging reef does, but I never looked into it...so don't quote me.

It's been a long time since I had a tank, and a lot of the places i used to go...well they seem not to exist anymore :)

you can go through the hassle of permits, I believe the cost they quoted me...a few years ago for a CITES permit was 200 Dollars, then you add freight on top of that which was 4-5 times the price for Canada...
if you have the money might be worth it.

My info is dated with regards to the above, but it's a starting point for you I hope.

whatcaneyedo
03-18-2013, 01:59 PM
Colour is irrelevant. Algae growth in your tank will change the colour of the rock within a few months or less. After a couple of years of coral growth (if you plan on keeping a reef tank) you won't be able to see very much of your rock anymore period. Liverock is a biological filter and base in which to mount coral. Shape, porousness/porosity(?) should be your main concerns (for a reef tank).

Goatman
03-18-2013, 07:36 PM
Colour is irrelevant. Algae growth in your tank will change the colour of the rock within a few months or less. After a couple of years of coral growth (if you plan on keeping a reef tank) you won't be able to see very much of your rock anymore period. Liverock is a biological filter and base in which to mount coral. Shape, porousness/porosity(?) should be your main concerns (for a reef tank).

Main, not only. Aesthetic appeal matters to some. Having lived where there is liverock we cannot get, yes it makes a difference aesthetically...at least in the beginning. But you are right after awhile it will look similar to each other however in no way is it all identical.

After All look at tampabay saltwaters liverock that they have seeded...mind you it is in the ocean so perhaps a bit unfair for a comparison.
However a tank that has say dry rock put in with a little liverock looks a certain way.

Perhaps he does not want that. One can have, or attempt to have an aesthetically pleasing tank from the start....cycling issues aside.

Perhaps he was also meaning the shapes available to him at jl were not what he wished. And yes liverock CAN be and IS different colors for the life of your tank depending on what kind you use, its simple fact. Close up you can tell the subtle differences in liverock...for it is not all the same.

AquaPin
03-18-2013, 08:18 PM
I would suggest talking to J&L and finding out when their next order comes in and be there to pick through it at that time. I have gone in the day of / day after and have always been happy with what I can find. Really nice shapes, variety of coraline algae colours, even had GSP, mushrooms, button polyps, and other neat stuff growing off of it. Just be sure that this is for a new tank as the smell and die off is very strong.

whatcaneyedo
03-19-2013, 01:03 AM
And yes liverock CAN be and IS different colors for the life of your tank depending on what kind you use, its simple fact. Close up you can tell the subtle differences in liverock...for it is not all the same.

Maybe from the underside but the colour of liverock exposed to light is the colour of the algae growing on it. This picture contains one or two pieces of base rock and two or three pieces of liverock all from different sources.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh109/whatcaneyedo/IMG_9977_zpsab4d4aaa.jpg

I think there is liverock in my display from 5 different sources and one or two pieces of base rock as well... at this point it really doesn't matter anymore. But I agree, it would have been nice to have been able to buy everything from a single source initially and sometimes the selection at stores gets cherry picked heavily. I just wouldn't concern myself with colour when selecting live rock.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh109/whatcaneyedo/FTS2013_zps40545187.jpg

WarDog
03-19-2013, 02:25 AM
Thanks for all the useful information, I will keep it in mind.
Yes this rock would be for a new reef (my first), and yes I understand that the main point of having live rock is for filtration and that over the years it would be completely covered in corals. Frankly I was hoping that if you had liverock with lots of pastel colours or bright pinks and reds that those coralines would remain dominent in the tank down the road... even after cycling and die-off. If I am going to be spending hundreds of $$$ just on liverock, is it too much to ask for something unique rather than just some more purple rock?... not that these tanks look bad at all. I just ordered a new car from the factory... red... there are plenty of blacks, greys, and whites on the lot... and the road... but I don't want to be like everyone else.

Aquattro
03-19-2013, 02:36 AM
Unfortunately those colors will likely not stick around more than a month or 3. I've had lots of rock with reds and pinks, but it all quickly goes purple. I'm guessing due to the lighting used on reef tanks. If you can find it, fine, enjoy it for a month or so, but don't kill yourself trying to find something that you won't end up keeping.

PurpleMonkey
03-19-2013, 03:31 AM
I have some pretty persistent red coralline algae... You can always grab a bit from me

WarDog
03-19-2013, 05:53 AM
I am starting to think this will be the case... J&L's not looking too bad now i guess. LOL. Thanks!

WarDog
03-19-2013, 05:57 AM
I am still in the 'purchase and research' phase of my build. Probably 6-9 months away from getting wet, but thanks for the offer!

WarDog
03-19-2013, 06:07 AM
Just for the record... this is what I'm after!