PDA

View Full Version : Help with sump design

mrhasan
03-18-2013, 01:18 AM
Sump designs seem very intimidating to me and hence I am trying to keep it as simple as possible. There are one simple thing to note: I am using my HOB skimmer (remora) in the sump (blah! :razz:) so I have decided not to have any big "skimmer" chamber in my sump. I will be using my 20L tank so here's the design I came up with:

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s522/mrhasan1/sumpdesign_zps6d9b4703.png

Will this work? And I was wondering whether I should put the inlet pipe above the water level or submerge in the water.

Suggestions please :)

Nano
03-18-2013, 01:22 AM
IMO ditch the ATO section out to allow for more room in the return section, and skimmer chamber. my sump was a 20L and found it super tight even with only 3 sections. make your return as large as you can, to allow for less chance of the pump running dry in the event that you forget to top off your ATO res. if your only having a 5g ato res. just use a bucket :P

Proteus
03-18-2013, 01:27 AM
As ken said

Big return section and skimmer section. You may find in future your buying a in sump skimmer

You could alway get a 5 gal tank and mount it above or beside for remote reservoir

subman
03-18-2013, 01:30 AM
20 gallon is a very small sump, I would drop one of the baffles. Probably make the return and refugium area one section and have the skimmer in the return section.

I personally would look for a bigger tank to use as a sump. Lots of people give away tanks that are perhaps scratched or otherwise cosmetically challenged that are perfect sump tanks.

I know you said your using the remora skimmer but always be prepared for the eventual upgrade.

Mike-fish
03-18-2013, 01:31 AM
I would add a bubble trap. And keep in mind that you may want to upgrade the skimmer down the road.

subman
03-18-2013, 01:32 AM
And as vital I think an ato is... I agree with Ken and Nick use some other container for ato water.

maxcanada
03-18-2013, 01:48 AM
Bubble trap after skimmer for sure. I have now learnt mirco bubbles in dt sucks ><

Nano
03-18-2013, 01:55 AM
Bubble trap after skimmer for sure. I have now learnt mirco bubbles in dt sucks ><

^^^^^
This too

heres a basic 3 section sump, (3rd post)
http://www.3reef.com/forums/i-made/75g-sump-build-help-140920.html

left to right- refugium/skimmer - return

the baffles on the first chamber you could get away with just one versus 2 as the bubble trap before the return would take care of it.

mrhasan
03-18-2013, 01:57 AM
Thanks for the great advice everyone :)

I have just realized that making 20L as sump would be very very messy. Because, initially, I thought that I can just half fill the new tank, transfer everything over there, make the sump, connect the sump and turn it on. But its going to be very risky to test the system with fishes in (and might be expensive in case I have to refill the whole tank with saltwater). So I guess I will LF sumps/ugly tanks.

Thanks for the input on ATO too. I guess I will use those round blue water jugs; will be easier to refill too.

And I will definitely increase the skimmer section (maybe 8"? because I found out that really big skimmers are like 10") and the return section. Just one question; the level due evaporation is going to change at the return section right?

Oh Oh! And how much are the baffles gonna cost me? I have no idea about those :P

Nano
03-18-2013, 02:03 AM
And I will definitely increase the skimmer section (maybe 8"? because I found out that really big skimmers are like 10") and the return section.

yes most good skimmers are around 8"x8" foot print, for a small system, I'm not sure what your going with or your system size, but its always good to have a larger skimmer section then needed, i made the mistake of having too small of one and wanted a bigger skimmer but couldnt.

as for evaporation, if you install an ATO you wont have this problem, it will only fluctuate about an inch or so. thus keeping salinity pretty stable.

depending on who you talk to for baffles you may be able to get them pretty cheap, I know my sump cost about $30 or so to build with 3 baffles, Denny may have some garbage glass kicking around concept might be worth a phone call.

mrhasan
03-18-2013, 02:07 AM
yes most good skimmers are around 8"x8" foot print, for a small system, I'm not sure what your going with or your system size, but its always good to have a larger skimmer section then needed, i made the mistake of having too small of one and wanted a bigger skimmer but couldnt.

as for evaporation, if you install an ATO you wont have this problem, it will only fluctuate about an inch or so. thus keeping salinity pretty stable.

depending on who you talk to for baffles you may be able to get them pretty cheap, I know my sump cost about $30 or so to build with 3 baffles, Denny may have some garbage glass kicking around concept might be worth a phone call.

My system is going to be a 70 gallon (40"x20"x20"; not the typical size :P). So maybe I should keep a 10" area (10"x12") for the skimmer? That's gonna be bulletproof right?

Yap ATO will be there. So the floatswitch and freshwater topoff should go to the return section right?

Yap I will talk with Denny when I pick up the tank.

Nano
03-18-2013, 02:09 AM
ya float goes in the return, I put the hose from my ATO in the inlet though so it mixes it bit before getting to the display.

that should be a good size return, I know the skimz sk181 skimmer is about 8"x8" and rated at I think 180g? (dont quote me on that) but the way you stock you'll want a heavy duty skimmer ;)

mrhasan
03-18-2013, 02:14 AM
but the way you stock you'll want a heavy duty skimmer ;)

Oh man I was afraid someone's gonna catch me to that :razz:

Thanks Ken for the inputs :)

Oh two more questions: how high should I maintain the inlet water level? And should the inlet pipe be above or submerged into the water?

denny_CC
03-18-2013, 04:15 AM
can do alot with little room, doesnt leave a whole lot of room for water to come back down in a power failure.

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/20gsump_zps33ada212.png

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/20gsump2_zpsb352dab9.png

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/20gsump3_zps160e4302.png

subman
03-18-2013, 04:31 AM
good looking sump Denny but a 1 gal ato tank is almost useless

denny_CC
03-18-2013, 05:06 AM
good looking sump Denny but a 1 gal ato tank is almost useless

yeah me personally dont like ato chambers under the tank its too hard filling them and theyre not all that big theres better uses for space as an external resevoir is simple enough.

with my 75g cube , beananimal coast to coast i have a 5g resevoir that lasts 4 days before filling, my 90g used 5g a day lol