PDA

View Full Version : Do you prefer to have a water pump inside or outside a tank?

ckmullin
03-17-2013, 10:49 PM
Curious on overall opinion...so let's here it! Do you like to keep it in the tank or prefer to keep your pump dry and outside your tank?

Thanks!

The Grizz
03-17-2013, 11:12 PM
My personal preference is to have them outside the sump so that they dont add heat to the water column.

subman
03-17-2013, 11:32 PM
I've always run internal but thats always been because my setup wouldn't allow it any other way. I see what Grizz is saying but in my case I think the heat is a benefit as it just means my heaters run a little less. When I was running MH I really could have used external pumps.

AquaPin
03-17-2013, 11:40 PM
My tank is in the basement, so the little bit of heat the internal pump generates is fine with me. Plus less hassle, the pump has a PVC going to a hose that returns the water to the tank.

Madmak
03-17-2013, 11:49 PM
My big closed loop pump is external but all the rest of my small pumps are internal. IMO if the added heat is a negative thing for your tank, go external. If it is not and you have the space in your sump, go internal.

lastlight
03-18-2013, 12:18 AM
anything that can leak I try to have in the tank or plumbed above the tank. Even my rodi unit is installed above my laundry tub so if it leaks its contained. I still flood my house all the time but this helps some!

sphelps
03-18-2013, 12:25 AM
My personal preference is to have them outside the sump so that they dont add heat to the water column.

I'm the opposite, internal to take advantage of the added heat :biggrin:

lpsreefer
03-18-2013, 12:28 AM

Agree if my heater doesn't have to run as much because of my pump I'm happy.

kien
03-18-2013, 12:29 AM
My personal preference is to have them inside the sump so that they do add heat to the water column.

Madmak
03-18-2013, 01:27 AM

Red Deer is a pretty tropical place though so The Grizz might have heat issues there that we don't experience here in Calgary. Just sayin'....

The Grizz
03-18-2013, 04:24 AM

Red Deer is a pretty tropical place though so The Grizz might have heat issues there that we don't experience here in Calgary. Just sayin'....

My living room has in floor heat & a gas fireplace that the wife seems to always have on in the winter. Plus the heat that comes through the glass wall from the pool keeps the room very warm. My heaters don't run hardly at all, if anything my chiller runs more often.

Otardifus
03-18-2013, 09:30 AM
Internal is better for my system and less power. I am running LED lighting and my heaters where almost always on but now that I changed to internal the heaters almost never come on.
In my system the internal pump was way more quiet with more flow and less power consumption than external pump was.

globaldesigns
03-18-2013, 03:31 PM
Inside to add heat, but also if the pump has a problem, it is contained within the sump.

lastlight
03-18-2013, 03:41 PM
Somewhere a reeflo employee is crying.

Crazy how trends change. Internal pumps have come a long way.

ckmullin
03-18-2013, 03:46 PM
All great comments, ty.