PDA

View Full Version : Wrasse help

Coralgurl
03-17-2013, 08:35 PM
It appears my scotts wrasse has no scales on the front half of his body on one side. He doesn't come out unless to feed and it looks like he hides in the rocks, not the sand. I tried to get a pic but from the time I noticed to the time I got my camera, he's gone back into hiding.

It's like it's scales have just come off, there's a small bit that's still hanging on. He was out yesterday and I didn't see this then. What's going on?

Coralgurl
03-18-2013, 03:18 PM
Anyone??

Douglas
03-18-2013, 03:22 PM
Sounds like he's being picked on by someone. Can you catch and quarantine?

Coralgurl
03-18-2013, 03:31 PM
I watch him when he does come out and no one is bothering with him. I don't know if I could catch him, he's out to eat then gone again, not sure where he's hiding. No qt set up but I do have a tank I could use, or get him in my sump.

reefwars
03-18-2013, 03:44 PM
is it possible he got wedged in the rock work while sleeping?

CM125
03-18-2013, 05:12 PM
My only two guesses would be crabs at night or he got wedged between some rocks. He may not be going in the sand now because its painful. I would definitely try to get him out, chances of him surviving in the open tank are low.

kien
03-18-2013, 06:06 PM
It appears my scotts wrasse has no scales on the front half of his body on one side. He doesn't come out unless to feed and it looks like he hides in the rocks, not the sand. I tried to get a pic but from the time I noticed to the time I got my camera, he's gone back into hiding.

It's like it's scales have just come off, there's a small bit that's still hanging on. He was out yesterday and I didn't see this then. What's going on?

I would guess that either he is being attacked and you're just not witnessing the attacks, or he had some irritation on his scales and was scratching himself vigorously or he just got stuck somewhere and had to aggressively escape.

If he doesn't come out often I would guess that he's being attacked by someone. Wrasses can be skittish but once they acclimate to the tank they tend to be pretty active and social. How long have you had the Scotts?

Coralgurl
03-18-2013, 06:06 PM
is it possible he got wedged in the rock work while sleeping?

That would be a possibility. He does come out within a few minutes of food hitting the tank. One thing is my Tominini tang does chase my diamond goby. It looks like the wrasse and goby are in the same area, guess its possible the tang spooked the wrasse at the same time.

My only two guesses would be crabs at night or he got wedged between some rocks. He may not be going in the sand now because its painful. I would definitely try to get him out, chances of him surviving in the open tank are low.

My concerns would be catching him and causing more damage to his side. I'll see what he looks like tonight. I'd have to find something that I could trap him in to remove.

Would he be better off in the sump rather than a hastily thrown together qt and would a medicated dip help?

jorjef
03-18-2013, 06:14 PM
Maybe you could just remove the entire rock that he hides in, probably a long shot but something to consider. A lot less stressful for you and the fish. I have done this on more that one occasion. I return the rock after fish settles and swims out...

Bblinks
03-18-2013, 11:11 PM
I need a picture if its possible.

CM125
03-18-2013, 11:17 PM
That would be a possibility. He does come out within a few minutes of food hitting the tank. One thing is my Tominini tang does chase my diamond goby. It looks like the wrasse and goby are in the same area, guess its possible the tang spooked the wrasse at the same time.

My concerns would be catching him and causing more damage to his side. I'll see what he looks like tonight. I'd have to find something that I could trap him in to remove.

Would he be better off in the sump rather than a hastily thrown together qt and would a medicated dip help?

The sump would definitely be the least shock, we have a small netted enclosure that we keep in the main, with just a rock and some pipe in it. It works well for observing as well as keeping predators away.

Maybe you could just remove the entire rock that he hides in, probably a long shot but something to consider. A lot less stressful for you and the fish. I have done this on more that one occasion. I return the rock after fish settles and swims out...

This! if possible

I need a picture if its possible.

This as well

Coralgurl
03-18-2013, 11:20 PM
Thanks everyone. I got home to find him dead. I've got him in a cup and will see if anything shows in a pic.

Ugh....of course it has to be the expensive one.:twised: