PDA

View Full Version : How to remove the stand's center brace

Casey8
03-17-2013, 04:57 AM
I have a stand for a 40 gallon breeder tank that I want to put a long sump about 36" long in there, but I have to remove the center brace on the top of the stand which is right underneath the tank. I don't see any nails, but I only see the glue. I would like to know if I can saw it apart ? Can someone here who did this job before for your stand, please tell me what is the best way to do it without damage to the stand ?
Thanks.

The Grizz
03-17-2013, 05:08 AM
I am guessing that it is a wood stand? It probably is nailed together with brad nails & the hole where filled in before paint. If that is the case use a light hammer & tap the brace from underneith to see if it moves. Once you get it out put in the sump & replace the brace.

Casey8
03-17-2013, 05:34 AM
Yes, it is a wood stand. Thank you very much, the way you explain it to me how to check and remove it, sounds quite easy ! I think a woman like me can do it :mrgreen: Thanks Grizz.

lastlight
03-17-2013, 06:06 AM
Hopefully it's not dowel or biscuit construction might be tougher to remove. Is the tank on the stand with water in it?

The Grizz
03-17-2013, 06:12 AM
Hopefully it's not dowel or biscuit construction might be tougher to remove. Is the tank on the stand with water in it?

That was my next question^^^

If possible can you show us a pic of the stand?

Evilweevil
03-17-2013, 01:16 PM
If it is a store bought stand it might be easier to remove the plywood on the back ? as it probably is dowels in the center brace ,a person really needs to see some pictures to really be helpful

Casey8
03-17-2013, 04:26 PM

No tank on the top yet, it is a brand new bought from J&l.

Casey8
03-17-2013, 04:28 PM
That was my next question^^^

If possible can you show us a pic of the stand?

I'll try to get a picture tonight to show you.

Casey8
03-17-2013, 04:29 PM
If it is a store bought stand it might be easier to remove the plywood on the back ? as it probably is dowels in the center brace ,a person really needs to see some pictures to really be helpful

It is a store bought stand, I just hope I can do it :cry:

Casey8
03-17-2013, 04:40 PM
The style looks exactly like this.

The Grizz
03-17-2013, 05:50 PM
Ok those are simply exactly what I thought it was, try my method first should work as I have done that to a couple stands for other people.

You can do it.

Casey8
03-17-2013, 05:54 PM
Ok those are simply exactly what I thought it was, try my method first should work as I have done that to a couple stands for other people.

You can do it.

What a big releave, thank you Grizz :mrgreen:

The Grizz
03-17-2013, 05:56 PM
It a MarineLand stand correct? Just make sure you put the brace back in solid & you will be good to go.

Casey8
03-17-2013, 06:18 PM
Yes Grizz, it is a Marineland stand. The new stand is not here yet, but it will arrive in a week or so. I am ready to do it and will follow your instructions.

jason604
03-17-2013, 08:23 PM
would removing the center brace make it too weak in the middle to hold the heavy tank?

Casey8
03-17-2013, 09:05 PM
I am guessing that it is a wood stand? It probably is nailed together with brad nails & the hole where filled in before paint. If that is the case use a light hammer & tap the brace from underneith to see if it moves. Once you get it out put in the sump & replace the brace.

Jason, please read his instruction here :wink:

lastlight
03-17-2013, 09:12 PM
would removing the center brace make it too weak in the middle to hold the heavy tank?

most store-bought stands appear to me to be built only as strong as needed. certainly not overbuilt by any means. If they put a centre brace in I wouldn't risk removing it permanently.

Casey8
03-23-2013, 08:16 PM
Grizz, I just want to say thank you very much ! I did it :mrgreen:

The Grizz
03-23-2013, 09:05 PM
Grizz, I just want to say thank you very much ! I did it :mrgreen:

Nice job Miss Casey I knew you could get the job done.