PDA

View Full Version : Peppermint and Coral banded Shrimps?

aquamansilver
08-15-2002, 02:41 PM
Maybe someone can help me here: I am having a small Aptasia invasion problem right now (on top of an algea bloom!!!.. very nice!). I do not want to hunt them with a syringe and would prefer the "natural/easy" way buy getting a peppermint shrimp in there. But I already have a coral banded shrimp (nice fellow to watch!) and was told that it will attack & kill the peppermint shrimp. Has anyone else had experience with both of them in the same aquarium (mine is 35 gallons), is it true?

Tx,

JoJo
08-15-2002, 09:08 PM
Hi,

My coral banded killed and ate 2 of my camel shrimps right before my eyes!!!

Mak
08-15-2002, 09:16 PM
See if you can find a someone to Shrimpsit :D the Coral Banded. If not maybe try a single Peppermint and see what happens :eek: ; apparently some are model citizens but if you have one like mine then God help any shrimp you might put in your tank :( . I also love these Coral Banded's they have so much personality and attitude :D .

[ 15 August 2002, 18:48: Message edited by: MAK ]

Jacoda
08-15-2002, 09:20 PM
peppermint shrimp will eat small(juveniles) aptasia only, it will never go near a large or adult aptasia.

aquamansilver
08-16-2002, 11:42 AM
So... I love so much that boxing shrimp that it is worth having no other shrimp in the thank!

Oh well, I'll get those aptasia invaders the hard way!

Aquattro
08-16-2002, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Ace:
peppermint shrimp will eat small(juveniles) aptasia only, it will never go near a large or adult aptasia.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sorry, I have to disagree. I had a 10g mantis tank with about 100 aptaisia ranging from real tiny to about 1.5 inches. 2 peppermint shrimp cleared the tank in under 2 weeks. And no, the mantis was not in the tank at the time ;)

Bob I
08-16-2002, 12:17 PM
I cannot understand why Aquamansilver likes that Coral Banded Shrimp so much. I had one for a long time, and all he really did was hide behind a piece of LR. I finally just gave him away.

[ 16 August 2002, 09:02: Message edited by: Bob Ipema ]

Mak
08-16-2002, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Bob Ipema:
I cannot understand why Aquamansilver likes that Coral Banded Shrimp so much. I had one for a long time, and all he really did was hide behind a piece of LR. I finally just gave him away.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Bob, you must of got a boring one or a real shy one. Mine was almost non-stop cruz'n around the tank interacting with every one and everything, and if he wasn't he was perching on the underside of one of my big caves. He was the only thing in my tank that could get my Lionfish to move... and very quickly at that. They also remind me of a Scorpion with there front pinchers. I think these guys make the Cleaner Shrimps look like Oprah at a Jenny Craig Buffet :D . Only downfall is there aggresive nature IME IMO.