PDA

View Full Version : help

psuedo
05-27-2004, 02:02 AM
I changed all my lights from 4 NO bulbs(160 watts) to 390 watts of pc lights and my tank looks like crap. All parameters are fine, and I lost my branching torch. I am peeved and I can't figure out what is wrong. Anybody?

yifan917
05-27-2004, 02:07 AM
Your tank looks like crap now? what do you mean? you don;t like the color?

psuedo
05-27-2004, 02:09 AM
I don't like the color, and the corals should have adapted by now. It has been almost a week now since the change. All my mushrooms have all shrivelled up, and the same goes for all other corals. However my clam is thriving right now. Go figure

Jack
05-27-2004, 02:37 AM
the corals should have adapted by now. It has been almost a week now since the change. All my mushrooms have all shrivelled up, and the same goes for all other corals. However my clam is thriving right now. Go figure

Uh, you're misunderstood. Your corals are not adjusted yet, you should have acclimated them much slower if you are seeing these bad effects. Your clam is liking it because clams love light. So, go figure.

psuedo
05-27-2004, 03:12 AM
I acclimated them over a 3 day period, gradually increasing the wattage and photoperiod. Maybe I should have done the acclimatization over a longer period though. I thought that 3 days would be plenty.
If that is the problem then maybe it will just take a few more days to see the desired effect

StirCrazy
05-27-2004, 04:06 AM
a normal period involves weeks rather than days.

if it is softies and such they should recover just might take a bit for them to get used to the light.

Steve

smokinreefer
05-27-2004, 04:42 AM
yeah...
3 days is too short of a time frame for light acclimation...
especially since you almnost doubled the wattage.

i'd cut back the lighting a bit and continue with the acclimation.

HTH

Ken
05-28-2004, 06:22 AM
You have double the lighting wattage and shock your corals, torch coraland other Euphyllia corals are not demanding in light but they will acclimate to higher light, I have mine in low lights and as high as 400 watt MH bulbs, acclimation is dependant on weeks and weeks in careful observation to corals reaction, there is no set date and time. I agree with Jack, clams do love lots of light and that why they thrive. Regards Ken