PDA

View Full Version : An idea for a new forum category

Madmak
03-13-2013, 05:34 AM
On another forum I visit there is a category called "Market Watch". It is for any eBay, Kijiji, Craigslist, etc ads that you find that you think might be of interest to others.

Many people don't know about CanReef and simply rely on the above type ads to sell their stuff. If we find elusive ads for things that might be hard to find and post links to them we may help out another CanReef member. Maybe the moderators could add this category if there is an interest to do so??

Here is a good example thread: (especially since it contains a spelling error and its a rare item)

Bubble King 250 Internal Skimmer FS in Calgary

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-pets-accessories-BEBBLE-KING-DELUXE-250-INTERNAL-SKIMMER-W0QQAdIdZ461537415

What do ya think? The above ad is real BTW, if your looking for a monster BK...

sphelps
03-13-2013, 01:22 PM
That's not a bubble king, it's a bebble king. Totally different.

On another note I think there's a rule about linking for sale items from other sites.

sphelps
03-13-2013, 01:25 PM
Here we go

With the occasional "sale for a friend" who may not be online, please restrict your sales to items that are your own to sell. This includes avoiding linking to offsite sales on other boards, buy/sell forums, ebay, etc. It's just good nettiquette.

Madmak
03-13-2013, 02:38 PM
Hmmm... it works quite well on the other forum. It may be because there is specific category for it.

Just food for thought.

Madmak
03-13-2013, 04:24 PM
You're gonna buy that skimmer aren't you Steve?

Madreefer
03-13-2013, 05:04 PM
That's not a good deal and not a rare item. Most guys on here like to buy from the memebers on here cause they kind of know each other to an extent and trust each other. I know of a guy buying a skimmer on Kijiji and paid the seller and when the parcel arrived it was a box of old phone books.

Seriak
03-13-2013, 05:25 PM
That's not a good deal and not a rare item. Most guys on here like to buy from the memebers on here cause they kind of know each other to an extent and trust each other. I know of a guy buying a skimmer on Kijiji and paid the seller and when the parcel arrived it was a box of old phone books.

This is why I only buy/sell in person.

Aquattro
03-13-2013, 05:46 PM
I think the buy/sell forums are here as a feature for our members by our members. We don't want to endorse or suggest that buying elsewhere may be a good idea.
Most people looking to buy stuff have heard of the various online sales sites and can search there on their own. Having even more threads with sales isn't in the best interest of anyone here.

ckmullin
03-13-2013, 06:07 PM

Ouch. Reminds me of an old gag @ Kmart a number of years back. Someone returned a vcr still with original tape and got their $. The box was opened later that day and was a bunch of bricks and packing foam! lol

sphelps
03-13-2013, 06:10 PM
You're gonna buy that skimmer aren't you Steve?

Nope, my SM-250 is better than that.

subman
03-13-2013, 07:40 PM
I never like ads that use website pics instead of the actual items.

lastlight
03-13-2013, 07:41 PM
I never like ads that use website pics instead of the actual items.

well if he takes a picture of the phone books it's going to be a tough sell now won't it?

subman
03-13-2013, 07:45 PM
depends of the phone book condition. There are a few vertically challenged reefers on here that could use them :rofl2:

Madmak
03-14-2013, 06:05 AM
I think the buy/sell forums are here as a feature for our members by our members. We don't want to endorse or suggest that buying elsewhere may be a good idea.
Most people looking to buy stuff have heard of the various online sales sites and can search there on their own. Having even more threads with sales isn't in the best interest of anyone here.

Hmmm, I'm not sure everyone understands how this type of forum really works.

In my experience in the other forum (a motorcycle forum) the category is fairly quiet with most threads being a title and a link, maybe a comment or two. There is no forum endorsement involved at all. It's really just to collectively take advantage of everyone's bargain hunting power and sharing it to benefit each other, not the seller. It has a "Hey, look what I found for sale. I don't need it but maybe you do?" kinda feel to it. Or sometimes a "You're not going to believe this!" type of post.

I've personally found it very useful but it may not be a fit for this audience or hobby. It's just an idea as these post do show up here, they just don't have a category.

The BK skimmer was just a unique Kijiji find that wasn't advertised on here. I didn't say it was a good deal but I do think it's a bit rare, it was the only used one listed in Canada at the time, eBay or Kijiji.

Aquattro
03-14-2013, 12:17 PM
I can see your point, but my concern is that every time I log in here, more than 50% of new posts are things for sale. I wouldn't want to bump that up even more. I know personally that i check those sites myself, and would assume others do as well. So it's probably better to let them do that than load even more sale stuff on the board. I'd prefer to see more hobby related topics over more stuff. :)

lastlight
03-14-2013, 01:37 PM
Brad can't handle more sols for sale threads :)

Reef Pilot
03-14-2013, 01:44 PM
Canreef members might be less motivated to post for sale on this forum as well, if they know their kijiji and craiglist ads will be read here anyway. Not sure if that anonymity is in the best interest of canreef buyers.

Aquattro
03-14-2013, 01:53 PM
Brad can't handle more sols for sale threads :)
Trying to come up with a new member title for you. Something with ass in it :)

kien
03-14-2013, 02:13 PM
:pop2:

Seriak
03-14-2013, 02:17 PM
Trying to come up with a new member title for you. Something with ass in it :)

I got one. How about Assassinator. It's in there twice.

lastlight
03-14-2013, 02:42 PM
I can see your point, but my concern is that every time I log in here, more than 50% of new posts are things for sale. I wouldn't want to bump that up even more. I know personally that i check those sites myself, and would assume others do as well. So it's probably better to let them do that than load even more sale stuff on the board. I'd prefer to see more hobby related topics over more stuff. :)

+lots.

see brad i got your back when it counts. :mrgreen:

Goatman
03-14-2013, 03:10 PM

So more links to reefcentral or ultimate reef then ?:twised:

Aquattro
03-14-2013, 03:16 PM
So more links to reefcentral or ultimate reef then ?:twised:

lol, no problem with that, as long as it's not for sale items there :)

lastlight
03-14-2013, 03:53 PM
I got one. How about Assassinator. It's in there twice.

http://i.qkme.me/3tdbx9.jpg