PDA

View Full Version : Ro/di blues

Evilweevil
03-13-2013, 12:36 AM
So have had the tank running awhile been using the aqua fx barracuda ro/di unit it has been running at about 25 - 27 psi since I hooked it up ... Yes I know it's low anyway I just bought a dual tds meter ( which for how cheap they are I should have bought one right away doh!!) anyway the tds is reading 220 in and even higher out ? Wtf ? Yes I could have the things the wrong way ( they say IN and OUT very clearly though ) no matter it is still out to lunch not sure what steps to take

Tank is looking good very small amount of hair algae and diatoms (brownish kinda algae that grows on the sand appears and disappears with the lights and feeds on silicates I believe?) which I think maybe becoming from my water woes

I am a newbie so feel free to correct me on anything I say here lol which I am sure no one has a problem with

My first reaction was to go out and replace all the filters which I bought all but the di filter from Home Depot which I am going to return anyway ,then I went online priced out all good quality replacment filters new DI new RO carbon block and prefilter , along with a booster pump and back flush valve which brings me to over 200.00$ , would I be better off just going and buying a unit like the vertex aquaristic for 320$ http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/vt-ro100di/Vertex+Puratek+Reverse+Osmosis+Deionization+(RO+DI )+Filter+-+100GPD.html any noughts on this or ideas ?

Any help would be appreciated

hillegom
03-13-2013, 01:05 AM
It must be hooked up wrong if its new and has higher tds out than in.
Did you flush and throw away the first 5 gals of water?

Pics would help us to see how you have it hooked up

27 psi is low pressure is that your incoming pressure? RO/DI needs at least 60 psi to function properly

Mike-fish
03-13-2013, 01:08 AM
Your cartridges are defiantly toast I have 2 of the vertex units and love them. It's up to you if you want to upgrade the system. The vertex auto flushes the ro membrane on shut down and startup if you unplug it when it's not in use.

Evilweevil
03-13-2013, 02:16 AM
Yes I know the pressure was low its actually at 20 it's dropped that's why I was looking into buying the booster
Here's a pic of it although most of the lines are hidden http://s1359.beta.photobucket.com/user/StaceyG72/media/image_zpse3adfc62.jpg.html
I have checked and believe it to be all hooked up right

11purewater
03-13-2013, 02:31 AM
How much is going to drain?use a measuring cup and a stop watch.post volume at the 1 minute mark.

ckmullin
03-13-2013, 03:04 AM
The filter was installed upside down. Turn it around and TDS will be zero. :twised: j/k

However if your in the market for a full system I bought mine from maxwater and happy. (don't own their stock or have anything to gain)
http://www.maxwaterflow.com

Evilweevil
03-13-2013, 03:29 AM
Lol ckmullin it very well might be

So I did the test and the production line was 1.5 liters and the waste was .5 liters so does that mean the production and waste lines are reversed ? If so it was that way from the factory man I really wish I would have bought a tds meter right off the bat ....that's what you get for buying at big als with out doing your homework first

ckmullin
03-13-2013, 03:33 AM
I'm not no ro expert but 1/3 is the rough ratio...1 good 3 bad though.

hillegom
03-13-2013, 03:52 AM
So I did the test and the production line was 1.5 liters and the waste was .5 liters so does that mean the production and waste lines are reversed ?

Yes ckmullin is correct, you should have 1litre good to 3-4 litres waste water

Your sediment filter does not seem dirty. Mine is a lot dirtier, way more dirtier when my pressure goes down. If you can, check the pressure after the DI while it is making water.

Can't see enough of the lines to be able to make a judgement if everything is ok. But I suspect it is reversed as ckmullin pointed out.

A booster pump will help you out a lot.

hillegom
03-13-2013, 04:12 AM
scroll to pic on bottom of page.
This will help you with line connections

http://www.spectrapure.com/faq_p0.htm#MEM-CONNECTIONS

Evilweevil
03-15-2013, 03:18 AM
So I believe it has been hooked up alright but I think the low water pressure may be the culprit I am going to tap into my main 3/4 inch line and run the 1/4" off of that ,if that boosts the pressure then i will by all new filters and a new di , if it still sits low then I am going to spring for a new unit one with a booster pump and tds meter all built in ...... I hope the new line placement works

ckmullin
03-15-2013, 03:40 AM
So I believe it has been hooked up alright but I think the low water pressure may be the culprit I am going to tap into my main 3/4 inch line and run the 1/4" off of that ,if that boosts the pressure then i will by all new filters and a new di , if it still sits low then I am going to spring for a new unit one with a booster pump and tds meter all built in ...... I hope the new line placement works

Tap the main BEOFRE the meter! :twised:

Evilweevil
03-15-2013, 03:43 AM
Oh believe me I thought long and hard about that lol

ABreefkpr
03-15-2013, 10:32 PM
I've been studying the picture of your Ro/di.Like you said, it is hard to trace the lines because they are behind the unit. Is it possible that the auto shutoff valve is hooked up backwards? I have attached pictures of my unit, I hope this is of some help.

Evilweevil
03-20-2013, 02:58 AM
Problem solved!!!! http://s1359.photobucket.com/user/StaceyG72/media/image_zpsad6444bf.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
What an awesome system !

Kryptic4L
03-23-2013, 06:17 PM
Dual Tds out meters? Hardcore