PDA

View Full Version : First Set of Pictures

DOO-E
05-26-2004, 01:19 PM
Well After a trip to Medicine Hat and picing up some new stuff here is my first pictures post. I hope this works.
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/10992004-05-25_006.JPG
Here are my coral Beauty and my clark's clownfish
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/10992004-05-24_029.JPG
My brown and white Hawiian feather duster
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1099FM7.JPG Here is Harry my fuzzy mushroom. Normaly i wouldnt have thought to name a mushroom but i didnt name it some people on this board kinda did for me.
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/10992004-05-25_001.JPG
A full tank shot at an angle notice the coral beauty in the bottom right.
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/10992004-05-25_024.JPG
here is my large male Banggai. I have 3 a large male, large female, and a small male. All are getting along great and are eating frozen mysis shrimp along with the rest of the tank inhabitants.
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1099GSP_s5.jpg Here are my Green Star Polyps. When fully expanded they cover the hole in the shell and are about the size of quarters. There is my striped mushrom in there too. It is about the size of a nickle.

mr_alberta
05-26-2004, 01:41 PM
Hey,

Looks like a good start. Keep us posted.

DOO-E
05-26-2004, 01:56 PM
THanks you are one of the few who actually said the tank was nice. All the reat of the people i have sown said it looked like crap.

mr_alberta
05-26-2004, 02:36 PM
We all have to start somewhere. A little time and a LOT of patience and you'll have a great tank.

Aquattro
05-26-2004, 02:58 PM
THanks you are one of the few who actually said the tank was nice. All the reat of the people i have sown said it looked like crap.

Looks like my first tank, excet yours is bigger and has more rock! We all start with a box of water and go from there. Looks like a fine start.

Zerandise
05-26-2004, 03:13 PM
hehe much better than my first tank (15 or so years ago) filled with bleached coral and a normal 4' shop light with undergravel filter lol.

I am about to post my first pics of my first reef tank.

Looks like you are well on your way!

AJ_77
05-26-2004, 04:22 PM
You have another great advantage that many of us old farts never had - these great boards and all the free advice! :biggrin:

Try not to take the "constructive criticism" personally, Ryan. People are funny that way...

DOO-E
05-26-2004, 05:05 PM
Well lets not forget this is my second marine tank. My first was filled with bleached corals and damselfish. lol I like it so far more will be added nearer to the end of august. I will probally make another trip august 30. Or i might save for a custom tank 48*24*18.

rodsboys
05-26-2004, 05:18 PM
Nice selection of fish.(the only thing i care about :biggrin: )How is the 4-stripe Damsel working out for you? I really like them , but don't have the nerve to get one.
I read the negative comments you recieved on the other forum,don't sweat it.There is always someone that thinks he/she is better and knows more.There is also always someone that makes themselves feel good by slamming others.
There seems to be a lot of" know it alls" that make the community part of the hobby suck.Fortunately these boards don't seem to have that attitude.

Skimmerking
05-26-2004, 05:43 PM
I hope thaat the bangi's get along .Doug had 3 in his tank and they didnt seem to get along watch out that the bigger male dont kill the baby one

sorry i thought you might want to know this for future reference.

mike

Delphinus
05-26-2004, 05:55 PM
Looks fine to me. Remember, as long as you're happy with the tank that's all that matters ... it's your hobby after all.

How about a few specs to go along with the pics? Tank size, lighting, pumps, etc.

Doug
05-26-2004, 07:11 PM
I hope thaat the bangi's get along .Doug had 3 in his tank and they didnt seem to get along watch out that the bigger male dont kill the baby one
mike

Hey Mike,
That was the first ones we purchased and yes, I had to split them up. They live all over Brandon now. :lol:

However, the last three were young and like his, ended up being one female & two males. She bred with them both, which was good in a way as the one male could rest and eat something without being removed.

The larger male was still boss and had first rights with the female. The smaller kept his distance during this time.

Now for an important point. My tank was a 225g, with tons of rock and lots of hidey places.

Doo-e, you might have to remove the smaller male at some point, but could keep him in another tank. Perhaps he could have his way, :lol: , while you have the larger male out for rest, after taking the brood from him.

DOO-E
05-26-2004, 07:22 PM
Well the 4 stripe is fine. There is a little fighting between it and the female clown. All intimidation no biting. I have planned it already thanks for the info. There is a female in there so the first male to pair the other is gone.
Tank is a 40 gallon with 2 24inch 55 watt PC's (remesured the lights) with 2 36 inch actinics, 2 inch sand bed mixed sizes. Want to get Pearly jawfish. 20 lbs of LR, filtered by a hot magnum. Picking up a prism pro delux and a sand bed filter in august. Fish 2 clarks (want to sell) 1 4 stripe damsed( want to sell) 3 Banggai Cardnalfish, 2 hawiian feather dusters, 1 female fiji coral beauty, 1 fuzzy mushroom, 1 striped mushroom, 2 hermits, 2 margarita snails, 1 astrea snail. Like i said Flatlander waiting for them to pair and am taking the extra male out. I owe a fellow reffer 2 for the lights so i will buy him another.

EmilyB
05-26-2004, 10:23 PM
Heck, I've got a tank in the back right now that doesn't look any better than that one. :lol:

Takes a lot of dough to be in this hobby.

Boy, that is some rough crowd on that "other" forum. :confused:

DOO-E
05-26-2004, 10:53 PM
Ya maybe i will stick to this site

TNTCanada
05-26-2004, 11:39 PM
Your tank is catching up to mine and I've had mine running for 4 years and aroud 8 months as a reef tank.
Looks like a great start
Cheers

DOO-E
05-27-2004, 01:18 PM
Thanks TNT. I really do like how it coming along. I think i am going to save some money and order a fluidized sand bed filter and a prism pro deluxe for the tank. Each one can do up to 200 gallons so when i get my bigger tank i can just put them on there.

StirCrazy
05-27-2004, 11:50 PM
Thanks TNT. I really do like how it coming along. I think i am going to save some money and order a fluidized sand bed filter and a prism pro deluxe for the tank. Each one can do up to 200 gallons so when i get my bigger tank i can just put them on there.

I would skim the fluidized filter as your rock is already your bio filter as for the Prisim devide that rating by 4 and it will give you a closer rating for optimal size.

Steve

DOO-E
05-28-2004, 01:08 PM
Ahh ic. I am going to put on the sand bet filter to increase the bacteria load for when i am starting new anks. It really not that wide so it wont take up much room. As for the Protien skimmer what do u mean divide the rating by four and it will give you a more aproximate answer?

Delphinus
05-28-2004, 04:10 PM
The issue is that protein skimmer manufacturers tend to exaggerate their claims. Thus, if the claim is that a protein skimmer is "good for up to 200 gallons" take that 200 and divide it by 4 and you get "good for really up to 50 gallons." Maybe a factor of "4" is a bit harsh but you get the idea. Basically, don't believe the people who are trying to sell you the product, they're exaggerating.

Jack
05-28-2004, 08:14 PM
Althought companys that make the Euro-reefs and PM bullets are pretty accurate in thier ratings.

Delphinus
05-28-2004, 10:09 PM
Yes, it's not fair to say that "all" protein skimmers are rated higher than actual.

DOO-E
05-29-2004, 02:05 AM
Ya i guess but i like the them prism pros are they worth their money?

DEAD_BY_DAWN
05-29-2004, 02:46 AM
i have a prism on my 20g i dont know if the pro i rated for a lager tank but the one that i have i dout that it would be effective on a tank larger than a 50g,works great on mine and the price $100.00 was pretty sweet i have seen used ones in the buy and sell for $30.

DOO-E
05-29-2004, 03:07 AM
Ya i seen them they r nice too but i think that if i am going to spend money i will get the pro. Then when i have my bigger tank i will buy a downdraft skimmer