PDA

View Full Version : Macro Algaes?

Richer
05-26-2004, 12:47 AM
First of all, I'd just like to say hi. I've been browsing the web for weeks looking up information on saltwater systems and just happened to stumble across this site. Its nice to finally find a forum occupied by people in and around the city that I live in :) .

Some information about myself.... I've kept freshwater fish since I was a little kid. I'm a freshwater moderator on another aquaria forum. Currently I have a 66 gallon Malawi tank running, and a 70 gallon CO2 injected plant tank running as well. ATM, I have a 30 gallon salt tank cycling with a cocktail shrimp.

On to my question...

I've been looking around for some place, or someone who's willing to sell/give me a decent patch of macro algae. I've heard that chaetomorpha (aka. spaghetti algae) is overall the best kind of macro to get... since they don't go sexual, and are pretty decent for nitrate export. However, my search for a Canadian source of chaetomorpha has been fruitless... does anyone know of a place where I can get some? I'm willing to go as far as Calgary. If not chaetoporpha, what other kind of macros could I get? I'd like to avoid chalupa since they can go sexual... but if I can't get anything else, I will try my hands at it.

Thanks for the help!
-Richer

tkhawaja
05-26-2004, 01:17 AM
Welcome to the club Richer. I don't have an answer but I'll happily tag along with your question. I would also like to find out alternatives to caulerpa.

mr_alberta
05-26-2004, 01:39 AM
Hey, welcome to the board!

Just to let you know, there is a meeting coming up the first weekend in June. It'll be an excellent opportunity for you to meet other reefers in the area and possibly line up some supplies for when your tank cycles.

AI Man
05-26-2004, 02:03 AM
Unfortunately I don't have any sexual mexican food. I do have Caulerpa.

Within the next month I will have At least a dozen non Caulerpa species.
I have gracilius and 2 types of seagrasses in a refugium now but it will be awhile before there is enough to sell. I am on vacation now but I'll be back in a few days.

EmilyB
05-26-2004, 02:04 AM
Unfortunately I don't have any sexual mexican food. I do have Caulerpa.

:lol:

I do have some chaeto, but I can't get it to grow, so not really available yet. Any suggestions? It's under a small PC lamp (the Azoo variety).

Richer
05-26-2004, 04:13 AM
Hahaha, I didn't notice the typo :lol:

I'll check out AI in a month then... last time I looked there was only caulerpa.

-Richer

Delphinus
05-26-2004, 04:29 AM
I do have some chaeto, but I can't get it to grow, so not really available yet. Any suggestions? It's under a small PC lamp (the Azoo variety).

More light :razz: When I had it in my 20g under halides that stuff grew like crazy.

Nemain
05-26-2004, 02:12 PM
Welcome!

The spagetti is awesome, if you dont mind the look of it all over your sand, rocks, just about any where the water moves it. If you are keeping it in a refuge its probably all golden. =)

Beth

Richer
05-26-2004, 02:25 PM
I'm going to be using an Aquaclear 300 (modified with an Aquaclear 150 impeller) as a refuge, so looks isn't a problem =)

-Richer

sleeman
05-27-2004, 01:46 AM
Richer,
I have got Chaetomorpha. I was going to trim it up this weekend. PM me if you want it. I am working Sunday, so either Sat or one day during the week.

Cheers,

Al

Quinn
05-27-2004, 02:01 AM
I have no algaes to offer, but welcome to the board! See if you can make it to our next gathering as well.

kari
05-27-2004, 02:46 AM
How about Halimeda? I have a little extra. I had good luck with some type of sea grass (not sure what species) under PC from Big Als until the razor took over. What's left I'm trying to grow. Might be able to find small amounts of red Halymenia but it grows fairly slow in my fuge. Wai's usually stocks some different type of macro algaes. You-pick Bryopsis is always free :biggrin: