PDA

View Full Version : LED lighting requirement for SPS

jalemboo
03-11-2013, 03:06 PM
is this light good enough for SPS on a 120 gallon tank. 4ftx2x2

Product Description: Marineland Double Bright LED Lighting System: Adjusts 48"
.View ALL Marineland LED Light Fixtures - CLICK HERE! Marineland LED Aquarium Lights have a double row of 6K LED Daylight bulbs and a single center row of 60mw Blue LED's. Energy efficient 1-watt LED's produce 80 lumens providing a higher output than typical fluorescent bulb lighting while using less energy. - 6,000K one watt and 60mW blue LED lighting system

http://shopping.yahoo.com/875099316-double-bright-led-lighting-system-adjusts-48-60/

phi delt reefer
03-11-2013, 03:13 PM
no

nothing marineland makes in terms of led lighting is capable of keeping SPS in a 24" deep tank.

Aquattro
03-11-2013, 03:15 PM
no

nothing marineland makes in terms of led lighting is capable of keeping SPS in a 24" deep tank.

We could probably go further and say nothng at $200 is going to be good enough :)

FragIt Dan
03-11-2013, 05:13 PM
If your fish were going to read a bedtime book they would probably strain their eyes :)

kien
03-11-2013, 05:24 PM
but the fixture says it's "Double Bright" !!

Seriak
03-11-2013, 05:39 PM
but the fixture says it's "Double Bright" !!

I would wait until they come out with the new "Triple Bright" !! ;)

RuGlu6
03-11-2013, 07:27 PM
The one below may not be the best for SPS but it will be a lot more light (8600 Lumen) then Marineland's 1800 lumen light fixture.
Also this one below has OEM timer that can turn blue LED on first then whites, and turn Blue LED off last for dusk dawn effect.

However some people say that just Blue/White LED combo maybe not enough for corals (especially SPS) as they need full spectrum light available to them. From 420 nm or less, almost UV spectrum all the way up to 14k or even 20k whites including 450nm blue, red, sometimes little bit of Green, Warm White and Cool White. New LED fixtures are coming on the market now with full color spectrum adjustable features but they are pretty penny for sure. Maybe that is why you see some AI sol's for sale on here.

Example below will be most likely good enough for simple corals even SPS, but you may not get good color pop as with old MH HQI/actinic light.

Green Element EVO Quad Reef LED Light Fixture 48" (TR)
http://www.aquatraders.com/EVO-Quad-48-LED-Reef-Bright-TR-p/56263.htm
8640 Lumens

http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Aquarium-Lighting-s/22.htm?searching=Y&sort=7&cat=22&show=90&page=1

Aquattro
03-11-2013, 07:31 PM
However some people say that just Blue/White LED combo is not enough for corals (especially SPS) as they need full spectrum light available to them.

Really? Mine seem to be "surviving" with blue and white only..:razz:

Proteus
03-11-2013, 08:28 PM
Blue and white is fine. My tank ran a sol and I've seen plenty of frag tanks with sols

mrhasan
03-11-2013, 08:50 PM
Just to add something (since I drooled over and studied full spectrum LEDs vs BW LEDs few months ago):

there's no legitimate proof that full spectrum helps coral growth. For now, people only still to it for aesthetics. Or maybe some study did came up showing full spectrum helps coral growth :idea:

lastlight
03-11-2013, 08:54 PM
Just to add something (since I drooled over and studied full spectrum LEDs vs BW LEDs few months ago):

there's no legitimate proof that full spectrum helps coral growth. For now, people only still to it for aesthetics. Or maybe some study did came up showing full spectrum helps coral growth :idea:

TRANSLATION: There's no proof (but there might be) :biggrin:

mrhasan
03-11-2013, 09:01 PM
TRANSLATION: There's no proof (but there might be) :biggrin:

Haha. Just tried to elaborate it ;)

It is very much "possible" that full spectrum "might" help; maybe marine biologists haven't published it yet or maybe hobbyist are not aware of it.

Bottom line is: Blue/white LEDs are capable of growing anything given that you got the right fixture instead of relying on marketing terms like "double" and "quad". Those terms are helpful when it comes to T5s but not for LEDs ;)

sphelps
03-11-2013, 09:02 PM
Well first of all, white LEDs are full spectrum. The advantage of what is referred to as "Full Spectrum" LED fixtures is the additional color control, just like a running a bunch of T5 bulbs you can tune color quite effectively with different bulb combos or you just run blue and white bulbs. Blue and white LED fixtures are more limited and I personally find running cool white LEDs in particular wash out some colors while fixtures with neutral white LED and/or red and green leds allow for cutting back on the cool white output enhancing certain colors. Debatable topic as it is, "full spectrum" does seem to be the popular trend for new fixtures and what most hobbyists prefer.

Second that fixture is junk, anything with a 48 white to 16 blue ratio is going to look terrible on an SPS tank. You'll spend more in the long run using fixtures like this.

spit.fire
03-11-2013, 09:12 PM
I grew sps under marineland reef brights :p

After I cut the fixture apart and replaced all the emitters with 3w emitters haha

But by the time you do that you might as well skip buying a freshwater capable light and buy a real led fixture

spit.fire
03-11-2013, 09:13 PM
/\ what he said. White light is made up of every color which makes it full spectrum

There aren't red,green, blue, suns in the sky.

I always thought the sun was orange :(

Aquattro
03-11-2013, 09:19 PM
I always thought the sun was orange :(
I dunno where you guys live, we don't have any sun here at all!!

kien
03-11-2013, 09:26 PM

We don't all live under a rock. Just sayin'.

spit.fire
03-11-2013, 09:26 PM

I see it ever couple weeks for a few hours

Aquattro
03-11-2013, 09:28 PM
We don't all live under a rock. Just sayin'.

I live ON a rock, not under it. Mostly..

FragIt Dan
03-11-2013, 10:35 PM
/\ what he said. White light is made up of every color which makes it full spectrum

There aren't red,green, blue, suns in the sky.

Just to clarify, white light CAN be made up of every color, but not to a significant degree. This is why you might choose a cool white vs a warm white light. With respect to keeping corals, white LEDs do not meet a coral's photosynthetic requirements on their own, and thus I would argue are not full spectrum.

The article found here (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/10/aafeature) is one that summarizes the need to provide light to corals across a much wider spectrum than most commercially available LED fixtures do.

Figure 4 shows zooxanthellae light absorption... of particular interest (to me) is the area between 400-440nm, which most LED fixtures lack.

Figure 8 shows what you get out of different wavelengths from your corals. Take a look at the spectrum below 440nm and the fluorescent pigments that glow as a result of exposure to this light (you get no purples without UV light).
Figure 23 shows you output from a high quality, commercially available LED fixture. Again, note the absence of support in the UV spectrum.

I have been testing LEDs for the past 6 months or so and have just installed a "full spectrum" DIY fixture on my frag tank. Initial testing of this has shown ridiculous color response from corals exceeding what I am currently getting from 14K Hamilton bulbs with actinic supplementation.

There are many other 'scientific' articles out there supporting the need for full spectrum lighting over corals. Of course you can play with the term 'need' and say that they will 'survive' under something less, but none of us are looking for that :). Ask anyone who has moved from good Halides to LEDs what they think of their colors...

Just my $0.02,
Dan

Aquattro
03-11-2013, 10:53 PM
Of course you can play with the term 'need' and say that they will 'survive' under something less, but none of us are looking for that :). Ask anyone who has moved from good Halides to LEDs what they think of their colors...

As I said, mine are surviving just fine, purdy colors and all. Moving from MH, I lost pink in one millipora species. That's it. So I would argue, based on my tank, that you do not need anything other than blue and white. The only other difference might be translucence lacking to some tissue, but over feeding would do the same.

RuGlu6
03-12-2013, 04:18 AM
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=95665